Florida Man

Feb. 14, 2018, 7:53 p.m.

Anyone up for a guns chat again?

The US is already up to 25 school shootings for the year (from 18 the previous year).

I honestly can't think of a way to push that number higher other than arming teachers, but I admit this isn't something I'm an expert in.

Feb. 14, 2018, 8:04 p.m.

America; just a rich bitch on the slide. Gotta' get used to it, man.

“Mass shootings have become routine in the United States and speak to a society that relies on violence to feed the coffers of the merchants of death. Given the profits made by arms manufacturers, the defense industry, gun dealers and the lobbyists who represent them in Congress, it comes as no surprise that the culture of violence cannot be abstracted from either the culture of business or the corruption of politics. Violence runs through US society like an electric current offering instant pleasure from all cultural sources, whether it be the nightly news or a television series that glorifies serial killers.”

—Professor Henry A. Giroux

http://billmoyers.com/story/gun-culture-and-the-american-nightmare-of-violence/

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 14, 2018, 8:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 14, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

It's a ridiculously complex problem with no simple solution. No limits to campaign contributions buys politicians. The "rugged individualist" ethos ingrained into every american from birth. Low levels of education. Poor health care and almost no mental health care. Poverty and no means to lift oneself out of it. Gun fetishism and the second amendment as a tool to perpetuate same. People voting for politicians that act against their best interests, because god. Worship of the military and the almighty dollar.

It's like alcoholism. They won't truly find a way to rise above all this until they find rock bottom. They're fucked.

Meanwhile, just send thoughts and prayers. It's the most effective thing anyone outside of that abyss can do.

Last edited by: KenN on Feb. 15, 2018, 8:14 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 14, 2018, 10:59 p.m.

This rant appeared in my facebook feed from an american friend:

Social Media: Dude, I can't believe you're cracking jokes and posting pictures of your dogs. Kids DIED.

Me: Are we going to do anything whatsoever about it?

Social Media: OK, see, what you have to...

Me: ARE WE GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT? ANYTHING AT ALL?

Social Media: It's not that...

Me: Roger that. Here's a joke about beagles you can laugh at while you're fucking off out of my sight.

Look, I hate to sound like this, you have no idea how much, but if we are not going to do anything to stop gun violence, if we're not even going to talk about it because it's never the time to even do that pitiful tiny thing, then why should I care so long as it's not me or mine?

Why the hell should I care?

No. Really, why the hell should I care about 17 more dead kids? 30,000 more will die this year, they're just a minor statistic.

If the nation doesn't care, why should I?

Does that make me a lousy person?

You bet it does. That attitude is just about as shitty and selfish and short sighted as it gets. But that's AMERICA. That is America as a nation. Right there. Every day, more dead. Every day, more gun violence. We have more guns deaths in this country than some war zones. And every day, not the time to do anything about it. That's America. When it comes to gun violence, America is shitty. Selfish. And shortsighted. We are a nation of cowards who won't do what needs to be done to save our kids. Take them, spare me. And my gun.

So, if not giving a damn about the deaths of 17 MORE kids makes ME a shitty person, then not giving a damn as a nation makes AMERICA a shitty damned nation indeed.

You want hold me accountable for caring, then you have to hold America accountable too.

If you don't like that, if you find that crass and obnoxious and uncaring and unpatriotic and cowardly, then prove me wrong.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AS A NATION, AMERICA.

Or shut the fuck up.

I don't want to hear about thoughts and prayers.

Shove your prayers.

Prayers are worthless. If you're honest with yourself, you know it. I know it. Every politician knows it.

Worthless.

Prayer does NOTHING. Not for the victims, past or future. If Prayer worked, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Our government isn't paid to PRAY.

Every single politician that offers "thoughts and prayers" for the slain kids, every single one, left, right, or Bernie Fucking Sanders, I don't care, that offers empty useless prayers WITHOUT ACCOMPANYING LEGISLATION should be voted out of office at the earliest opportunity. If these rotten faithless shitty, unpatriotic, cowardly sons of bitches don't care enough to actually DO something, then they all need to go. Every single one.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AS A NATION, AMERICA.

Or shut the fuck up.

Because I'm sick and tired of writing about more dead kids killed by goddamned guns.

Feb. 15, 2018, 4:36 a.m.

It's an epidemic for sure. We spent a month in Fort Lauderdale last year, and every day on the news it was about someone getting shot and killed, always over stupid stuff like stealing a pack of gum from the store, or breaking into a car and getting caught out by the owner.

The school thing? Tragic.

Thinking gun legislation will fix the problem? Guns don't kill people, people do.

Feb. 15, 2018, 8:24 a.m.

Republican house speaker Paul Ryan goes on the radio interview circuit this morning ... says that "the Florida school shooting that killed at least 17 people on Wednesday should not threaten citizens’ rights to own guns."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting-speaker/house-speaker-ryan-florida-shooting-shouldnt-threaten-right-to-own-guns-idUSKCN1FZ1VS

The NRA donated 5.9 million USD to Republicans during the 2016 election cycle, Paul Ryan was the biggest beneficiary, receiving $171,977 from the NRA.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/

Hmmmmm ...

Feb. 15, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: gotham

Thinking gun legislation will fix the problem? Guns don't kill people, people do.

And yet, firearms restrictions are proven to help reduce gun crimes, as part of a multifaceted solution to a complex problem.

Feb. 15, 2018, 9:25 a.m.

There's no doubt that in general the US is a pro-gun environment, so those wanting changes to gun legislation and regulation are fighting an uphill battle. Until the begin using legitimate and accurate arguments on the whole nothing is going to change. Legitimate and accurate includes things like not just saying 35,000 gun deaths. While any death by firearm is a tragedy, suicide by firearm, homicide between criminals and the massacre of innocent school kids are not all the same thing. There also needs to be realistic proposals put forward, not just talk of banning certain firearms or general gun bans. Another HUGE issue in the states is lack of national regulations. There's no sense in having strong restrictions in one jurisdiction when people can drive sometimes just a few minutes away to another jurisdiction that has far lighter regulations.

The gun problem is the US has a huge social/cultural component, but even bigger is the money problem. As KenN has said it's not a simple fix. Until public opinion and sentiment sways to a strong majority of stronger regulations I don't think you're going to see enough politicians step up to the plate and institute change. So that means either the Republican party changes it's tune or Democrats gain a vast majority of elected officials. Unfortunately, I don't see any of those things happening any time soon so I'm sure we can expect to hear of many more mass shootings in the US where school kids or other people are gunned down.

Just for the record I am more for gun control than not and I think the system we have in Canada works pretty good. In some instances I think it is even too restrictive, but I don't see the government easing regulations anytime soon.

Feb. 15, 2018, 10:10 a.m.

Hell, they can't even agree to require background checks before purchasing a firearm as a national policy.  That's not even restricting what they can buy, just imposing limits to who can buy based on simple risk profile.

Feb. 15, 2018, 10:39 a.m.

The gun problem in the US is really 2 separate problems. There are the mass shootings, almost unique to the US and then there is the day to day inner city violence.

IMO the biggest contributors to mass shootings are the overuse of psych meds and pain meds instead of better help medically and the gun fetish of the 2nd amendment people. From what I can tell almost all the mass shootings are related to psych meds, or more concisely, going off them. Add to that the ability to easily buy a sexy gun and fire meets gasoline. This hits the news and is a major problem but doesn't drive the stats.

For the inner city violence, the problem is also unique to the US in the West because they have neighbourhoods of extreme poverty and low education that are prone to crime combined with an ocean of handguns. This is where their staggering murder rate comes from and it is the reason white Republicans that don't live anywhere near those areas have few shits to give.

So, I disagree Gotham, gun regulations would help on both of these, especially with inner city violence. Ban handguns and do an aggressive buyback nationwide. Get those easily concealed weapons off the streets. You could also ban so-called assault rifles. I know that they are really no different than a regular rifle, but then why would anyone care? If a hunting rifle does the same thing, but one and shut up. The problem here is the NRA supporters don't want to upset their good times shootin' watermelons in their backyard and posting it on Youtube. I always hear gun supporters talk about guns as a tool, so treat them as tools. Guns and Ammo is a popular magazine, but nobody would buy Hammer and Nails. This is why Switzerland can have guns and not kill everyone with them. For them, it is actually for security, not for being cool. We work hard to make sure cigarettes are not sold as something cool and fun... do that with guns. And FFS screen people for psych issues and make it so certain medications mean no guns.

I am not holding my breath for anything like this though.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Feb. 15, 2018, 10:42 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 15, 2018, 11:21 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

. From what I can tell almost all the mass shootings are related to psych meds, or more concisely, going off them. .

No. In the case of the Las Vegas shooter we know for sure they were an enabler. In addition, it is well documented that users of SSRI's are more apt to do suicide or violence when medicated if predisposed to those tendencies.

Ban handguns

Ha. Part of the "swimming in handguns" issue come from greedy firearms manufacturers deliberately overproducing safe in the knowledge the blackmarket vis-a-vis poros restrictions will never leave them overstocked.

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 15, 2018, 12:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 15, 2018, 2:30 p.m.

Ya, the overuse of SSRIs is bad news and America loves to hand out prescriptions.  I think we can both agree on this one.  Corporate lobbying will ensure many more mass shootings and drive-by shootings for years to come.

Feb. 16, 2018, 12:08 a.m.

He got a new album out.

Feb. 16, 2018, 12:12 a.m.

(question mark)

Feb. 16, 2018, 2:15 a.m.

An 18yr old in Everett WA was reported to and arrested by police after his Grams found his journal plans. Day before FL took place.