Flooring

April 28, 2014, 12:44 p.m.

We went with cork for our kitchen and solid, click, bamboo for the rest of the top floor of the house (other than bathroom).

Carpet in the bathroom?

April 28, 2014, 12:58 p.m.

I put in a hand scraped engineered Acacia. Looks awesome, 0 repetition (obviously), really easy to put down. Cost me $3.69 I think. Hard to scratch but easy to fill with wax if it does.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

April 28, 2014, 1:15 p.m.

We have bamboo downstairs and as mentioned, it is not as hard as we expected. Another thing to keep in mind is that you are quite limited in the colours they offer.

April 28, 2014, 1:18 p.m.

I would opt for either a skim coat of concrete - might was well put in floor heat while you are at it. Weighs about as much as tile, so no structural concerns.

Or good one side plywood. I have it in my man room which has weights in it and is where I dry my gear. Finished with 2-3 coats of poly-urethane. Looks good, cheap, installs easy. wears well.

I have a rental suite that also has finish grade plywood - in that unit it was ripped into 6 inch by 8 foot strips. Looks like fancy wide-plank hardwood, but could be replaced for under $1 a square foot. Wasn't as high quality as the ply I put in my new place, so some of the knots in lower layers are showing through the top now…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 28, 2014, 2:53 p.m.

I would opt for either a skim coat of concrete - might was well put in floor heat while you are at it. Weighs about as much as tile, so no structural concerns.

Or good one side plywood. I have it in my man room which has weights in it and is where I dry my gear. Finished with 2-3 coats of poly-urethane. Looks good, cheap, installs easy. wears well.

I have a rental suite that also has finish grade plywood - in that unit it was ripped into 6 inch by 8 foot strips. Looks like fancy wide-plank hardwood, but could be replaced for under $1 a square foot. Wasn't as high quality as the ply I put in my new place, so some of the knots in lower layers are showing through the top now…

Helped an artsy GF paint cool paint treatments [HTML_REMOVED] designs onto plywood and then coat with poly urethane which was very cheap

A builder I know poured concrete on his main floor during the new build to deaden sound from his rental suite which I had never heard of

April 28, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

Helped an artsy GF paint cool paint treatments [HTML_REMOVED] designs onto plywood and then coat with poly urethane which was very cheap

A builder I know poured concrete on his main floor during the new build to deaden sound from his rental suite which I had never heard of

Concrete skim coats are used to level floors more often these days…

I also have a floor in my current house that is 2ft x 2ft panels of MDF, base coated and then splatter painted and then poly-urethaned. Looks wicked cool, is super cheap, and very durable.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 28, 2014, 5:02 p.m.

Yeah I know they float the floors to level for tile but buddy said they poured concrete level with the base plate on the stud wall with the main purpose being to block noise

The floor we painted was done in a base color to start followed by a cloud treatment with one of those decorating rollers, a perimeter accent strip/border with masking tape and rolling thru a piece of chicken wire used as the stencil, it looked pretty good, you can also cut out a pattern in a sponge to make a stamp…use your imagination

April 28, 2014, 5:20 p.m.

ive got natural bamboo, cork and forbo natural lino in my house. IF i was going it all over again i would do the whole house in forbo lino. The bamboo has dented and turned black any in every little gouge. The cork though nice underfoot has worn through the tint in places of higher traffic. Whereas the the lino looks like the day i put it in. It supposed to last a 100years and i can see that easily happening. Come in great colours as well.

April 28, 2014, 5:52 p.m.

The Natural Lino doesn't come off looking like a grocery store or a basement suite bathroom? Looks like a rad product if it looks and feels good.

April 28, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

It's all crap IMO.

The nicer it looks the less durable it is. Vinyl plank is the most durable that still looks a bit like wood.

Regardless it nearly always ends up in the landfill in 5 or 10 years so environmental concerns are hardly worth considering.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 28, 2014, 7:39 p.m.

The Natural Lino doesn't come off looking like a grocery store or a basement suite bathroom? Looks like a rad product if it looks and feels good.

it looks really good not like the cheap glossy vinyl flooring your used to seeing. Its almost 1/4 thick too with colour all the way through so it'll last a long time. I installed it on my own as well which was easy to do as long as you don't need the seems welded together. comes in 12ft wide roles

April 28, 2014, 9:23 p.m.

Our last place had bamboo, it was nice looking and is apparently a bit more environmentally sound but it wasn't really hard wearing. I can't compare as it's the only time we have had hard wood, but it seemed to chip and scratch really easy. Upside was that it was a light colour and the pattern is a bit more busy so the scratches weren't super noticeable.

All wood will wear, chip and scratch … that's why they don't make rockets, cars or bullet proof vests out of wood anymore. If you have a wood floor, dogs and children you might as well be resigned to that. Our old house is "rustic" and so our trashed wood floor has a quaint charm all of its own. The advantage of wood (besides adding a warmer aesthetic to a room) is that it can be re-sanded and re-finished.

My kitchen has a hand-painted sky-blue 100-year-old wooden floor (its skinny strips, almost like parquet). It was like that when we moved in, and it gets a new coat every year or so.

April 29, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

Carpet in the bathroom?

LOL, sure…

Actually we haven't done a big reno in there yet (need to get the basement bathroom redone first), it is stick on vinyl tiles on vinyl roll flooring (who knows how old that is).

April 29, 2014, 1:10 p.m.

From what I've seen there is as much variation in bamboo as there is for laminate.

Mine is about 3/4" thick, heavy and hard. So far I've been happy with the durability although I have 2 scratches. One from a laundry bin that was dragged (maybe a piece of gravel on the foot?), and the other from a caster being moved that likely had a small piece of gravel against it.

The bamboo we have is mostly made up of resin with the bamboo embedded in it, so the hardness of the product comes down to what resin and how much pressure they used when making it.