Fishing

Dec. 23, 2019, 9:45 a.m.

The in-laws bought me a pair of hip waders for Christmas so I want to get out and catch some fish in 2020.  I have a cast real and a bit of gear but I am pretty much a blank slate.  I grew up on the ocean, fishing salmon and cod so I don't know too much about fishing in rivers.  Does anyone here have any experience or know some decent spots to go near Squamish.  I would like to try fly fishing at some point too, but I will stick to casting for now.  Extra points for a nice spot that I can ride to.

Dec. 24, 2019, 7:25 p.m.

Fishing with Rod (Website & YouTube channel) have been a great local resource for me. I'm just getting back into river fishing after a 5 year hiatus and have learned a great deal.

Dec. 24, 2019, 8:44 p.m.

I used to catch perch and sunnys offa' the end of our dock with worm, hook 'n bobber.

Last edited by: tungsten on Dec. 25, 2019, 4:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2020, 2:36 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

Fishing with Rod (Website & YouTube channel) have been a great local resource for me. I'm just getting back into river fishing after a 5 year hiatus and have learned a great deal.

This is perfect.  Thanks.

Jan. 3, 2020, 2:38 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I used to catch perch and sunnys offa' the end of our dock with worm, hook 'n bobber.

Seaworms?  Those are the best perch bait, but the sonsabitches can bite hard.  That is all I did in the summer when I was a kid.

Feb. 29, 2020, 2:46 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Seaworms?  Those are the best perch bait, but the sonsabitches can bite hard.  That is all I did in the summer when I was a kid.

No no, nightcrawlers man, big juicy fat worms crawl outta' the earth. This was mid-west, eh? 

https://youtu.be/6Bv8BBqlRf4

Feb. 29, 2020, 5:10 p.m.

The in-laws bought me a pair of hip waders for Christmas so I want to get out and catch some fish in 2020.  I have a cast real and a bit of gear but I am pretty much a blank slate.  I grew up on the ocean, fishing salmon and cod so I don't know too much about fishing in rivers.  Does anyone here have any experience or know some decent spots to go near Squamish.  I would like to try fly fishing at some point too, but I will stick to casting for now.  Extra points for a nice spot that I can ride to.

Are you still on the coast?

March 2, 2020, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

No, I am in Squamish, although I would know the good spots for freshwater fishing there either.

March 2, 2020, 1:08 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=6Bv8BBqlRf4&feature=emb_logo

This is a heated topic where I come from. A lot of the locals make a living this way and they can't accept that change is coming. I used to gillnet herring every year around now back in the '90s. IMO, it's an ugly fishery but I have said it before with the salmon, it is too simplistic to only focus on fishing as the reason herring have declined over the years. They spawn in the shallow waters near shore, so onshore activity plays a big role in how well the eggs do. Water temperature also can severely harm the number of eggs hatching. This particular fishery gets the attention that it does mainly because of where they do it. On the beaches of Denman and Hornby.

I think they should have banned the seine fishery years ago. They scoop up a lot of the herring while they are still milling around and haven't started spawning and they don't provide many jobs for the amount they take. The problem is that is where the strong lobby is because Pattison owns a bunch of the seine licenses.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 2, 2020, 1:10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 2, 2020, 4:50 p.m.

Pattison owns a bunch of the seine licenses.

Isn't this the prob all up and down the coast? Heard that in Alaska that chicken farmer who's Bill Clintons good buddy bought up most all of the concessions.

Given fragile state of oceans I think It'd be wish to apply the precautionary principle to situations like these.

Last edited by: tungsten on March 2, 2020, 4:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 2, 2020, 5:37 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

No, I am in Squamish, although I would know the good spots for freshwater fishing there either.

At the right time there are some good creeks for sea run. Mostly cutthroat but sometimes some nice steelhead.

Oct. 12, 2020, 4:17 p.m.

Anyone getting out? Pretty crazy that the Capilano has already had two nasty incidents this year. 

I spent Saturday on the Nanaimo River, plenty of coho running but no bites on spoons or jigs in the pools. I've been up stupid early lately so this morning I practiced my knots and tied a dozen steelhead float rigs, I'll be spending a few days camping out of my truck and fishing the Stamp in a month or so. Got out on the Nanaimo again this afternoon but yesterdays rain has it a bit high and fast so no luck. Sadly lost my grandfather a week ago. He was an avid angler, involved in the south island sport fishery/conservation for decades and co-owned a tackle company out of Victoria for 40+ years.

Oct. 14, 2020, 1:09 p.m.

Sorry to hear about your grampa, but no better way to pay respects than catching a few fish.  I posted this right before COVID and honestly have done almost no fishing except for a little on Anderson Lake when I was up at the cabin.  :(

Oct. 14, 2020, 4:51 p.m.

Sorry to hear about your grampa, but no better way to pay respects than catching a few fish.  I posted this right before COVID and honestly have done almost no fishing except for a little on Anderson Lake when I was up at the cabin.  :(

Thanks dude, he will be missed but many great memories. I feel ya there, I haven't done much of anything this year. I have some fuckery going on with my immune system so I'm real tired and worn out. Looks like I'm heading to the Nitinat this weekend, been a long time!