first world problems

Oct. 22, 2022, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

A good problem to have.

Was it in response to my problem? I just wanted a handgun to go shoot at the range. There is no such thing as a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self defense in Canada.

Oct. 22, 2022, 9:27 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I just wanted a handgun to go shoot at the range. 

What’s wrong with renting one at the range? 

First world problems

Oct. 22, 2022, 10 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

I just wanted a handgun to go shoot at the range.

What’s wrong with renting one at the range?

First world problems

That would be like being really into bowling but not being able to own your own ball. Or going to Whistler and only being able to ride a rental bike.

I mean that in the sense that hobbyists usually like to have their own gear related to the hobby so you can tinker and tweak and customize somewhat. Half the fun of shooting is taking the thing apart and cleaning it after.

Notice I put this into the first world problems thread and didn't make a new thread about how Trudeau is literally Stalin for doing this or something dumb like that.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 22, 2022, 10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 22, 2022, 11:24 a.m.

When your news source drones on about the fascism of restricting guns, but doesn't give a mention of the massacre in Nova Scotia.

Archetypal first world problem.

Oct. 22, 2022, 1:26 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

When your news source drones on about the fascism of restricting guns, but doesn't give a mention of the massacre in Nova Scotia.

Who are you talking to?

Oct. 22, 2022, 1:26 p.m.

If you read into that story, you'll see the gun is not the issue, it's the way this guy was raised. (By a brutal father.) If it wasn't a gun, it would have been something else, like driving a car into a crowd of people. Would we then ban cars?

Oct. 22, 2022, 1:30 p.m.

To be clear this is a first world problem because I'm slightly annoyed I can't get a handgun anymore despite going through the safety course and the background checks and supplying several references and spending about 300 dollars all in but i'll get over it. It's a first world problem because I don't need a handgun, there are many interesting rifles I can get and this obviously isn't the end of the world. Some people are frothing at the mouth over it but that's not me.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 22, 2022, 1:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 22, 2022, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

If you read into that story, you'll see the gun is not the issue, it's the way this guy was raised. (By a brutal father.) If it wasn't a gun, it would have been something else, like driving a car into a crowd of people. Would we then ban cars?

Gonna jump on my AR-15 like a broom horse and gallop off to work now.

Oct. 22, 2022, 2:58 p.m.

To be clear this is a first world problem because I'm slightly annoyed I can't get a handgun anymore despite going through the safety course and the background checks and supplying several references and spending about 300 dollars all in but i'll get over it. It's a first world problem because I don't need a handgun, there are many interesting rifles I can get and this obviously isn't the end of the world. Some people are frothing at the mouth over it but that's not me.

The problem is now that handguns are gone what rifles/shotguns are they going to move to ban next?  Almost all handgun violence in Canada is with illegal guns from the US so banning them will make no difference.  But what of tactical shotguns?  Large calibre rifles?  Semiautos?  I don't think most realize that the handgun was the thin edge of the wedge, and don't be shocked more is coming, since Liberals know how to keep us all safe.  Strange,  they don't ban propane cylinders which can be easily manipulated into a working bomb but that would be too obvious.

Oct. 26, 2022, 4:47 p.m.

I dont think they'll get rid of that much more. Hunting and hunting licenses pay the conservation officers salaries and stimulate too many local economies. If nobody can get rifles or shotguns then that revenue stream dries up.

To be totally fair about 30% of handguns used in crimes in Canada started out as a legally owned gun that was stolen so denying everyone the right to a handgun might actually save some lives. But on the other hand the gun shops say they've sold more handguns in the last 5 months than they have in the last 10 years so there's a good chance there's a lot more handguns out there waiting to be stolen now than there would have been. There are guys on Canadian gun forums posting pictures of their 30-40 piece pistol collections saying that as soon as the ban was announced they started buying as many as they could.

Again I don't see owning a gun as a right. I see it more like driving a car in the way that the government gets to know what guns I own and I have to prove sound mind and competence.  I'm not super mad that I can't own a handgun I just don't like it.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 26, 2022, 4:50 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 26, 2022, 5:38 p.m.

Posted by: Polymath

The problem is now that handguns are gone what rifles/shotguns are they going to move to ban next?  Almost all handgun violence in Canada is with illegal guns from the US so banning them will make no difference.  But what of tactical shotguns?  Large calibre rifles?  Semiautos?  I don't think most realize that the handgun was the thin edge of the wedge, and don't be shocked more is coming, since Liberals know how to keep us all safe.  Strange,  they don't ban propane cylinders which can be easily manipulated into a working bomb but that would be too obvious.

I doubt they will go much further with the bans.  Handguns have always been the main problem when it comes to gun violence so I am not surprised that they were banned.  Handguns are not the thin edge of the wedge, they are something that 99.9% of Canadians never even see and the number one gun for urban crime.  Not many people care that they are banned.  Assault weapons are a political football, but it is hard to deny that they have a serious image problem.  If they wanted to go after semi-autos they could have done that instead of assault weapons.  As FO said, the remaining guns are used for hunting and I don't think there is a demand to go further.  People get all worked up about the Liberals going after guns but neglect to mention that they only do it because they see that there is public support for what they are doing.  I don't think the public is interested in hunting rifles.

Oct. 26, 2022, 7:18 p.m.

My lawn will be going from a parched desert to a boggy, swampy marsh in 2 months, lol.

Oct. 26, 2022, 7:22 p.m.

I just stepped on the lawn at my office.  2 days, not months.

Oct. 26, 2022, 7:32 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Polymath

I doubt they will go much further with the bans.  Handguns have always been the main problem when it comes to gun violence so I am not surprised that they were banned.  Handguns are not the thin edge of the wedge, they are something that 99.9% of Canadians never even see and the number one gun for urban crime.  Not many people care that they are banned.  Assault weapons are a political football, but it is hard to deny that they have a serious image problem.  If they wanted to go after semi-autos they could have done that instead of assault weapons.  As FO said, the remaining guns are used for hunting and I don't think there is a demand to go further.  People get all worked up about the Liberals going after guns but neglect to mention that they only do it because they see that there is public support for what they are doing.  I don't think the public is interested in hunting rifles.

The remaining guns are used for hunting? Not so sure about that...

https://www.reliablegun.com/en/kodiak-defence-wk-180c-semi-auto-rifle-762x39mm-186-barrel-6061-aluminum-receiver-m-lok-handguard-standard-furniture-5rds

https://www.reliablegun.com/en/akkar-churchill-612-pump-action-shotgun-12ga-3-12-matte-black-pistol-grip-synthetic-stock-4rds-rifle-front-sight-fixed-cylinder

This is just an example of two non-restricted firearms that we can still buy. The wk 180c is chambered in 7.62 x 39 which is the same as used in an ak-47. It can penetrate most body armor. Legally I'm not even limited to the range with this. I can take it plinking in the woods according to canadian gun laws. 

The shotgun has a 12" barrel which isn't legal in an of the United States but again I can carry this thing around anywhere the discharge of firearms is legal. 

I'm all for gun control I just don't really understand all the ways we go about it.

Oct. 26, 2022, 9:11 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Well.... in 2004 it was blamed on single black mothers and Paul Martin came rushing in on the 401 to say something and touch hands with grieving communities with "promises" of doing something. Did nothing that changed much. Funnily enough it was a multi police force combine operation that grabbed most of the guys shooting in Scarborough. Oh... and none of the firearms used came in legally to Canada.

Drive a vehicle into a crowd of people. Well that was done in 2018.  Still no assault Ryder Rent A Van registry or permits required.