first world problems

July 21, 2022, 5:04 p.m.

Pudding comes in cans?

July 21, 2022, 5:06 p.m.

You missed the reference my good man

July 21, 2022, 8:01 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

The ring came off my pudding can

So what do you do after that happens? Get a knife & try to pry it open?

July 24, 2022, 9:13 a.m.

https://medium.com/@pgothman/seriously-stop-saying-first-world-problems-3b571fb098e9

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/oct/02/why-phrase-first-world-problem-is-condescending-to-everyone

Whoever uses it, though, it’s arguable that the phrase “first world problems” is condescending and dehumanising to literally everyone on the planet. For a start, it patronises those outside the “first world” by implying that hunger, disease and war are not only prevalent among the global poor but in some way the sole conditions of their lives. It implicitly characterises the less fortunate majority of the world’s population as saintly idiots who would never dream of complaining about anything more trivial.

July 24, 2022, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

https://medium.com/@pgothman/seriously-stop-saying-first-world-problems-3b571fb098e9

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/oct/02/why-phrase-first-world-problem-is-condescending-to-everyone

Whoever uses it, though, it’s arguable that the phrase “first world problems” is condescending and dehumanising to literally everyone on the planet. For a start, it patronises those outside the “first world” by implying that hunger, disease and war are not only prevalent among the global poor but in some way the sole conditions of their lives. It implicitly characterises the less fortunate majority of the world’s population as saintly idiots who would never dream of complaining about anything more trivial.

And liberals wonder why they get so much hate.

July 24, 2022, 10:20 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

You know what my favorite part of our culture is nowadays? 

How we make the worst examples into the group representatives. It's really helping hold civil society together.

July 24, 2022, 10:48 a.m.

I just thought the see through lulu's were funny.

They still sell pudding in tins? Fascinating!

July 24, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

Are you assuming my political identity from a link copied and pasted?

July 24, 2022, 12:11 p.m.

Are you assuming my political identity from a link copied and pasted?

nope.  am assuming the author’s political identity.

July 24, 2022, 12:27 p.m.

Here's a rational view. I fail to see how rationality is political.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/First_world_problems

A major issue with the use of 'first world problems' is the implication that second and third world countries do not have the minor concerns or small luxuries the phrase is often applied to. (Pretending for the moment that there is a clearly defined 'first world', which is only found in 'the West', and that there is a clearly defined 'second' and 'third world', which is the rest of the world.) This contributes to the stereotyping of non-Western countries as backwards, poor, or ignorant, and often betrays the speaker's ignorance as to the actual quality of life in non-industrialized countries. It also implies that absolutely everybody outside of the Western world lives in poverty and hardship, and that this is all there is to their life if the Western world does not intervene.

Examples of problematic applications of the phrase include:

Complaints about emotional issues, especially those involved in dating and romance (dehumanizes non-Westerners by denying their emotions)

Complaints about traffic or cars (apparently, these people have never driven in Beijing or New Delhi)

Complaints about one's appearance (non-Western cultures also have standards of beauty)

Complaints about money (not all non-Westerners are poor)

Complaints about food (you don't have to be Western to want your food to taste good)

Complaints about malfunctioning technology (there are people outside of the Western world who own technological devices, and they too would be annoyed if the said devices did not work as they wished)

Besides, using "first world problems" implies that severe problems such as hunger and disease do not exist in the Western world; they do, just not as prevalently as in the "Third World". 

Large cities in the West still have large numbers of poor and homeless people who often go hungry.

Last edited by: heckler on July 24, 2022, 12:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 24, 2022, 1:50 p.m.

arguing about such semantics, definitely first world problems

July 24, 2022, 2:46 p.m.

Went to the store....no pudding i  tins.

Devastating.

July 24, 2022, 2:55 p.m.

Grabbed a can of brown beans for lunch yesterday, opened them up & they were kidney beans. Gross! I guess I didn't look at the label close enough.

July 24, 2022, 2:56 p.m.

Pudding in tins, I'm sure it's a fake news put forth by the illuminati.  

Because it sounds amazing.  I love pudding.

July 24, 2022, 2:59 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

arguing about such semantics, definitely first world problems

actually, just trying to make people think. when I saw firsthand (at a friend's house) an original photo album of residential school children that will be brought to the pope's apology visit, I started thinking about our first world.

It also makes me think of my family who visited us von das Vaterland, who were very excited to go see the Indians (not the ball team) back in the 80's.  Seriously.

Last edited by: heckler on July 24, 2022, 3 p.m., edited 1 time in total.