first world problems

Dec. 26, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

Awoke at 2:00 am this morning to find a water leak in my basement. Pinhole in a 1/2" copper tee squirting water out. It was from the original construction of the house around 1980. Got her patched up with sharkbite. Not going to Home Depot in this crazy snow.

Thread killer

Dec. 26, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

Getting Vancouver Winter rain today.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 26, 2016, 3:28 p.m.

Awoke at 2:00 am this morning to find a water leak in my basement. Pinhole in a 1/2" copper tee squirting water out. It was from the original construction of the house around 1980. Got her patched up with sharkbite. Not going to Home Depot in this crazy snow.

80's wolverine pipe?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 26, 2016, 7:03 p.m.

80's wolverine pipe?

Hmmm, I don't know. How do I tell if it is?

Thread killer

Dec. 26, 2016, 7:18 p.m.

I ordered pizza and now I have to put on pants

Dec. 26, 2016, 7:19 p.m.

I ordered pizza and now I have to put on pants

no you dont.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 26, 2016, 7:20 p.m.

That horrid moment when you wonder is it Queen's "Under Pressure" or " Ice Ice Baby."

generally i'm disappointed when i realize it's not "ice ice baby".

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 26, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

Hmmm, I don't know. How do I tell if it is?

Should be printed on the side of the pipe at some point…. but if it's hidden in the drywall good luck. Maybe look at the hot water tank area for a longer chunk of pipe.

If you do have it, start thinking about a repipe in your future.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 26, 2016, 10:13 p.m.

Could be only the tee is the problem, and maybe just the soldered joint.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 26, 2016, 10:46 p.m.

Should be printed on the side of the pipe at some point…. but if it's hidden in the drywall good luck. Maybe look at the hot water tank area for a longer chunk of pipe.

Is "wolverine pipe" a plumber name for poly b?

Dec. 27, 2016, 12:23 a.m.

it's a brand of copper pipe.

copper pipe has a lifespan of about 25-50 yrs depending on the quality of the pipe. once you start getting pinhole leaks it's time to replace the whole works. patching a bad section can be iffy as the soldered joint could be prone to fail due to the decaying pipe.

leaking poly-b has a lot to do with the levels of chlorine in the water and a big part of the reason it was discontinued. heat also degrades the pipe - so not great for hot water lines. in vancouver we have soft water (low mineral content due to using rainwater) and low levels of chlorine so if you have poly-b you don't necessarily have to replace it but it's recommended to do it if the opportunity presents itself.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 27, 2016, 11:05 a.m.

nope.

http://www.glcopper.com/profile.asp

Dec. 27, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

and if it is don't use copper use crimped PEX pipe projected life is over a 100 years.Did my whole place in 2 days. PS have a crimping tool if you need to borrow.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 27, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

and if it is don't use copper use crimped PEX pipe projected life is over a 100 years.Did my whole place in 2 days. PS have a crimping tool if you need to borrow.

and run 3/4" lines and use a manifold - better flow and no drops in pressure when multiple fixtures are running or turned on.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 28, 2016, 4:43 p.m.

Bunch of cheap, crappy Christmas toys didn't work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4069714/Parents-furious-thousands-Hatchimal-Christmas-toys-fail-hatch.html

Get off the front page, Siege of Aleppo and make way for some real news.