First Aid Training Questions.

Oct. 15, 2015, 3:24 a.m.

No-one in my circle can steer me in the right direction, and I haven't found what I'm looking for using google. Before I commit to one course, I'd like some feedback if possible.

This isn't required for my job (I don't have a job right now)
Course length isn't a problem since I don't have a job.
Cost does matter, but if it's worth it I'll make it happen.

Courses full of fluff don't really interest me, I am however interested in useful certifications that benefit me if I choose a career as a First Responder. My main goal is to come out of this a competent first aider. I want skills to handle realistic situations from minor wounds too heart attacks and even sever trauma like large lacerations and gun shot wounds.

There are 3 courses on my Radar.

-Occupational First Aid Level 3 (70 hours, around $700) Doesn't seem to include CPR (A,B,C, or HPC) or AED for some reason like OFA 1.

-First Responder , aka FR3 (44 Hours, around $500 Plus $150 Text) Includes Healthcare Provider (HCP) level CPR, AED, and Spinal Management.

-EMR, Emergency Medical Responder (120 Hours, around $1500 Plus $150-$300 Text/etc) Basically seems like entry level ambulance stuff.

Most likely I'm going to tackle one of the first 2 choices, since there are bridging courses available for both OFA 3 and FR3 too EMR. They both cost around $600 and are about 5-6 days. Since the bridge courses are very similar, I could possibly save some classroom filler time by taking the FR3 and bridging to EMR later. This will also save me money and time, not too mention classroom stress.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Experiences relevant? Warnings?

Thanks.

Oct. 15, 2015, 6:55 a.m.

I had my FR3, and now I have my EMR. All through volunteer fire dept. I would look at the possible jobs you can apply for with each course. I believe FR3 is not a stand alone job it is specific to fire and police, whereas OFA3 or EMR you could be a jobsite first aid attendant. Neither will get you in an ambulance, so I would pick the cheaper of the two, which is OFA3. They really all teach the same stuff.

Oct. 15, 2015, 8:27 a.m.

I have ofa3, most widely recognized for jobs so I would do that if you're thinking of using it for a job some time. It has cpr and aed use unless somethings changed since may '14 when I did it.

Everything is very by the book and assumes you have some equipment nearby, all what to do as a first aid attendant at a work place, which was good in the way it will make you almost a first aid 'robot', and working quickly is a big part as many of the tests are timed.

I think some of the wilderness first aid courses may have a bit more 'creativity' and improvising, but not recognized for jobs.

It covers a huge range of topics, I found a pdf of the textbook I'll try to dig it up again..

Also did mine through St John's ambulance in Victoria, would do it there again.

Edit; the text https://www.firstaidforbc.com/media/pdf/2012_Ref_TrainingManual/OFA_Reference_and_Training_Manual.pdf

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:38 a.m.

Ofa3 is most diverse and fastest to complete. I have done it a few times and have definitely paid off the course in short gigs and real scenarios. Required for things like ski patrol. I did mine 2x at care institute in Vancouver, great instructor (Nicole). Scored 100% on the practical, and that was completely a factor of the quality of training I received.

EMR for most comprehensive,and most expensive. Not as a recognized for site safety, more like if you wanna be a volly fire fighter, or on-call in somewhere like gold bridge. Kind of like paramedic-lite. I am thinking of upgrading to this level.

Fr3 is good if you want to be a fire fighter, but little to no work can be found with that ticket alone.

Other option is OEC which is wilderness based first aid, and is recognized by ski patrols for paid gigs, but not construction and the like. It's definitely the best blend of scene assessment and working in tough conditions. Places like pacific alpine in whistler offer this course.