firewire

Nov. 30, 2004, 6:56 p.m.

okay my panasonic dv camera is not working at all. like a year ago when i first setp it up i just plugged it in with the firewire cable and away it went. now nothing. i've tryed 3 different cables, 3 different computers, and my external HD, which was working on firewire about a month or two ago. now nothing works on the firewire. nothing gets recognized by plug and play. plug and play is enabled and firewire is enabled in the bios. the proper controllers/drivers are present as they show up as they are supposed to in the device manager. my thought was the camera was actually broken, but then my HD doesn't work either. anybody have any ideas?? i've googled this to death and no dice

[email protected]
My bike eats danger and craps victory!:canada:
It takes 43 muscles in the face to frown but only 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitchslap that mofo in the face!
I am the sculpture made out of clay…

I like all bran its makes your poop float. :)

Nov. 30, 2004, 6:57 p.m.

Enable the the port in your device settings.
It may have gotten disabled by windows.

Nov. 30, 2004, 6:58 p.m.

did you hook to all comps via firewire?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

Nov. 30, 2004, 7:08 p.m.

i would make sure you post is still enabled

Nov. 30, 2004, 7:42 p.m.

explain that one jay t

yes everything is enabled in dev mang and in the bios

yes i hooked to all comps via firewire with all three cables

[email protected]
It takes 43 muscles in the face to frown but only 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitchslap that mofo in the face!

Nov. 30, 2004, 10:05 p.m.

is it a front panel firewire port? maybe check that it is hooked up and that it is hooked up properly to your mobo.

just a suggestion, since i am assuming your talking about your new computer. but that might not make sense since it isn't working on all 3 computers. maybe all 3 computers are hooked up wrong with the firewire port?

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

Nov. 30, 2004, 10:07 p.m.

no the front is connected properly. i plugged it into the back aswell. and the other two computers were laptops so……

like i said it was working on my laptop when i first got it, as well as my hard driver, but now my hard drive doesn't even work.

[email protected]

Nov. 30, 2004, 10:41 p.m.

weird, did you try to see if there is an update fro the cameras program?

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

Dec. 1, 2004, 12:30 a.m.

All running windows? If so have you maybe upgraded to SP2 and there is a bug with Firewire ?
Seems odd to have both devices go down on multiple computers. If you have tried different cables, all I can think of is OS.

From the google searches, there are a number of people out there with firewire problems after the SP2 upgrade in windows.

giver a google to see how you can fix it. I saw a few threads on reverting back to SP1 drivers.

There might be something ont the microsoft site as well.

Looks liek the firewire drivers were changed (Ahem* Upgraded) in the SP2 release.

Thank you Microsoft for making your product "better" :lol:

Hope that helps.

Dec 2006 photo contest winner "Best Ass Shot"

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Dec. 1, 2004, 12:39 a.m.

"Step I: Uninstall Hidden Driver

"Set Device Manager up to show Non-Present devices and delete the hidden device.

"1. Please click "Start" menu =[HTML_REMOVED] click "Run" =[HTML_REMOVED] type "cmd" [HTML_REMOVED]without quotation marks[HTML_REMOVED] and click "OK"

"2. Please type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" [HTML_REMOVED]without quotation marks[HTML_REMOVED] in the command prompt.

"3. Please type "start devmgmt.msc" to launch "Device Manager".

"4. Please click "View" menu in "Device Manager" and choose "Show hidden device".

"5. Please expand all items in the panel, if any hidden device listed below, please delete them. (The hidden device is shown in a transparent color.)

"6. Please right-click the hidden devices and lickick "Uninstall". (Note: Please remove all hidden HDD drivers, 1394 relate drivers and Storage Device drivers.

"Step II: Reinstall 1394 Controller

"First, please disconnect all 1394 devices. Then, go through the following steps:

"1. Click Start, go to Run, type in "devmgmt.msc" without the quotation marks and press Enter.

"2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "1394 Controller", right click on the Host Controller, click Uninstall and click OK.

"3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under 1394 Bus controllers. Then, restart your computer and Windows XP will reinstall all 1394 controllers automatically."

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 1, 2004, 9:40 a.m.

I think what you might be running into is hardware problems with the camera - the pins in the connector on the camera are very small and can be susceptible to dust, water, damage by inserting or removing cables etc…

Take it to a local video camera repair shop and they can check that the connector is working fine..

Just to many non-working combinations in your problem there… likely not software or such…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 1, 2004, 12:46 p.m.

Originally posted by brodierider_fReak
**explain that one jay t

yes everything is enabled in dev mang and in the bios

yes i hooked to all comps via firewire with all three cables **

I have had mine disabled once…i just thought i would suggest a possibility

Dec. 1, 2004, 4 p.m.

Originally posted by switch
"6. Please right-click the hidden devices and lickick "Uninstall". (Note: Please remove all hidden HDD drivers, 1394 relate drivers and Storage Device drivers.

do i take out EVEYTHING? even things like the IDE ATA controllers and storage volumes? what constitues as storage device drivers? that's alot of drivers to take out

[email protected]

Dec. 1, 2004, 5:08 p.m.

tried going back to sp1 drivers and no dice

[email protected]

Dec. 1, 2004, 6:13 p.m.

Originally posted by brodierider_fReak
tried going back to sp1 drivers and no dice

If you tried it on a few computers with no luck - grab a friends camera and try it on the same computer - if you've been trying all these settings with no luck - more than likely it's your camera…. sad to say

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com