firefox quantum.. anyone else has problems?

Nov. 19, 2017, 1:59 p.m.

So I downloaded Firefox Quantum. Suffice to say, I wish there was an uninstall or revert back to non quantum. Right after install (Tuesday), I experienced a complete lack of internet on my desktop from WiFi spottiness to not being able to browse online even with IE. I recall seeing on Mozilla.org two download options for Firefox and then ff quantum. If anyone could be kind enough to link to the non quantum for me, that'd be much appreciated; if it's still there. Word of advice: dont install quantum. I find a 20+ minute browser install ridiculous and I don't have a slow machine (I5-4570 @ 3.2 ghz, ssd and 24gb). Add to that, the install overwrote the old Firefox without warning or a target directory option. I'm writing this on my phones built-in browser so that and the new nsmb doesn't allow me to parse this into paragraphs. So I thank you.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 19, 2017, 2:25 p.m.

Jtfc.. 40 minute install only to say sorry we can't install right now.  no error code or reason. The fuck community programming is this shit?

Nov. 19, 2017, 3:36 p.m.

It's been awesome for me

Nov. 19, 2017, 5:14 p.m.

No problems with the instal and Its definatley a lot faster

Nov. 19, 2017, 5:47 p.m.

Managed to get IE up long enough to d/l Chrome... 

Suppose there's no Solace for me...

Nov. 27, 2017, 2:16 p.m.

I will stick with Chrome until everyone else works out the bugs.

Nov. 27, 2017, 3:50 p.m.

No problems on either work computer. All good

Nov. 27, 2017, 3:57 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

So I downloaded Firefox Quantum. Suffice to say, I wish there was an uninstall or revert back to non quantum. Right after install (Tuesday), I experienced a complete lack of internet on my desktop from WiFi spottiness to not being able to browse online even with IE. I recall seeing on Mozilla.org two download options for Firefox and then ff quantum. If anyone could be kind enough to link to the non quantum for me, that'd be much appreciated; if it's still there. Word of advice: dont install quantum. I find a 20+ minute browser install ridiculous and I don't have a slow machine (I5-4570 @ 3.2 ghz, ssd and 24gb). Add to that, the install overwrote the old Firefox without warning or a target directory option. I'm writing this on my phones built-in browser so that and the new nsmb doesn't allow me to parse this into paragraphs. So I thank you.

I would run CC cleaner or something after your install. May be some issues with registry conflicts due to the overwrite.

Nov. 28, 2017, 7:13 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

I would run CC cleaner or something after your install. May be some issues with registry conflicts due to the overwrite.

I did. I removed it via CC, ran CC and the registry cleaner, reboot, reinstalled which still took forever and then it still couldnt load a page in anything resembling todays internet fashion. As in, over a minute on a blank browser.

Managed to download Chrome via IE. Used that for a bit. That was a bit of a shudder moment.

Tried installing Quantum a few days later, had the same issue as my first post but after a few more installs, it installed in a speedier manner and now works for whatever reason. I want to say I recall flushing the dns cache and then it worked after that. Maybe a script jacked my hosts file.. we still even use that?

Quantum is not faster than Chrome. At least on my machine. Chrome will just throw a page at your screen while Quantum still thinks for a second. I'm not sure what to change in the about:config to try to speed it up. I see a lot of "waiting for website..", "transferring data" and "TLS handshakes" on the status bar though.

As for the Quantum installation itself, I'm used to at least setting an install directory and having a few options to choose. I'm not a fan of double clicking something and then it just goes. But Quantum is 140mb on the drive compared to Chrome at 400mb. So they got that claim right.

Nov. 28, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

Don't install anything on any of your devices..

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/06/ccleaner_megahack_timeline/

Nov. 28, 2017, 11:36 p.m.

Clean your registry by hand.

And get a decent backup program like Macrium or Acronis.  Put your OS and application files on a separate partition.  Do a backup/snapshot before installing new software so that clean removal can be done in minutes via a restore.

Dec. 6, 2017, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Don't install anything on any of your devices..

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/06/ccleaner_megahack_timeline/

It's good thing I dont allow auto updates. The CC version I have wasnt affected.

As for the article, I'm still surprised they have dev labs connected to the internet. But I also dont understand having critical computer systems of our infrastructure online either (referring to stuxnet/flame).

Dec. 6, 2017, 3:24 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Clean your registry by hand.

And get a decent backup program like Macrium or Acronis.  Put your OS and application files on a separate partition.  Do a backup/snapshot before installing new software so that clean removal can be done in minutes via a restore.

What... you mean like wiping it with a cloth?....

I havent regedit'ed in far too long. OS and program files are on my boot ssd. Thanks for the program recommendations. I realize its a time frame thing but it's nice not seeing Ghost recommended ;)  What would really help me is not having a native Korean language based OS. At least that way I could use the LKG at start up.

Dec. 7, 2017, 12:30 p.m.

Macrium makes a free edition of their backup software, and it gets very good reviews.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells