Fentanyl crisis

Jan. 23, 2017, 5:31 p.m.

tipper gore had her little war on explicit lyrics.

hey there tipper try and censor this fuck you fuck you eat shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH9axUjHPuY

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 23, 2017, 6:04 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fentanyl-overdose-er-1.3889942

a cut n paste from somewhere:

Here are some facts about fentanyl that a colleague compiled, if you are so inclined to read a little more about it:

"Here is some info I just received from the provincial safety committee.
For my Brothers and Sisters on the front lines, these are some of the highlights and notes that I took during the RCMP presentation on Fentanyl earlier this year.
• The lecture started with the base drug of Fentanyl.
• It is a Schedule 1 drug recognized as a synthetic opioid (narcotic).
It is used in hospitals and by EMS throughout North America.
Fentanyl is approximately 100 times stronger than morphine.
• The abuse of Fentanyl began with the patches being broken up and chewed, or having the Fentanyl scrapped off and then smoked.
• The street Fentanyl that is being purchased online from China is 95% pure; therefore it is not recognized in Canada as being pharmaceutical grade.
• Fentanyl is being purchased online for approximately $12,000 for 1 kg. This 1kg of Fentanyl will be made into one-million tablets that are being sold for $20 to $40 per tablet. As you can see, your return on investment of $12,000 comes back to you between $20 and $40 Million!!
• Heroin being sold in Vancouver is only 20% pure, the street value is no where near what Fentanyl’s street value is worth.
• Fentanyl is now replacing Heroin, Meth, Oxycodone, and several other street drugs.
• Fentanyl is being mixed with, or cut with, other drugs such as heroin.
• When Fentanyl is being purchased and shipped from China, it typically arrives by Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Purolator, along with others.
• Once the brick of Fentanyl arrives it needs to be ground into a powder so that it can be mixed, or cut, typically with caffeine. The grinder of choice is the “Magic Bullet” and the RCMP report that several of these will be found on-scene where Fentanyl is being produced.
During the grinding process, some of the product may be released into the air as a fine particle similar to a dust. This dust is still Fentanyl and can be inhaled or absorbed into a First Responders skin or eyes. You also may see this green coloured dust on furniture and walls.
• The tablets that are being produced may have a green colour to them. The pills are sometimes stamped to look like a normal prescribed pill. One side will be stamped CDN, the other side will have 80 stamped into it. This stamp has not been used in Canada since 2012.
• The RCMP stated that the LD-50 is 2 grams, or 2000 mcg; we (EMS) currently carry 500 mcg and this amount of Fentanyl can cause respiratory arrest via IV administration. (LD-50 = Lethal Dose 50 is the amount of medication that will be fatal to 50% of those taking a specific amount of the drug.)
• As a First Responder, it is important to know that Fentanyl can be absorbed anywhere it touches your body: skin, eyes, inhaled, or ingested.
• The concern with Fentanyl is that an overdose of the drug will cause loss of consciousness, respiratory compromise and/or apnea (breathing stops), followed by cardiac arrest if the patient has not been found and treatment initiated quickly enough.
• Ventilatory support is the treatment of choice; Naloxone (Narcan) may help with a narcotic overdose, but it will not reverse all narcotic exposures. Naloxone has no effect on Carfentanyl.
• British Columbia and Alberta lead in Fentanyl use across Canada.
• Fentanyl deaths now exceed all homicide and MVC deaths combined across Canada.
• The demographics of a Fentanyl users are young teens to people in their 70’s.
• Fentanyl is being purchased to assist people committing suicide.
• Due to the street drug trade, the person purchasing any street drug may be getting Fentanyl without their knowledge, leading to catastrophic results.
• Clandestine labs can be located anywhere and present an extreme danger to Fire, EMS, and Police.
• A single kg of 95% pure Fentanyl can kill 250,000 people.
• As Fentanyl is cut and mixed with other fillers to produce tablets, there is no way to ensure that each tablet has the exact same amount of Fentanyl in it. Therefore, every tablet is different and contains varying amounts of Fentanyl.
• These clandestine labs will purchase items such as pill presses (to make the pills) and pill sorters (which count out lots of 100 and package them). These devices are highly regulated in
the USA, but there is no regulations here in Canada. As the officer doing the presentation pointed out, you could go online in the middle of a conference, order a pill press and you will
be told that it’ll ship immediately and what date it’ll arrive.(Try!!)
• Fentanyl is being produced into tablets in Canada and then making its way to the USA.
• DRUG ANALOGUES: a similar chemical chain that can be stronger or weaker in strength.
This schematic is the chemical chain of Fentanyl; C22H28N2O.
** The schematic wouldn't transfer, but you can Google it.
• Chemists are able to change this molecular structure of Fentanyl to provide us with the drug known as CarFentanyl; which is 100 times stronger than Fentanyl and 10,000 times stronger
than Morphine.
• CarFentanyl is just one of the analogues that chemists are able to produce.
• Another analogue is 3-MethlyFentanyl, this is 6 - 15 times as strong as Fentanyl.
• Potentially, there are 1,200 different analogues that can be produced.
• It is believed that about 30 analogues of Fentanyl have been developed to date.
• CarFentanyl: Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) recently discovered a 1.1 kg package that contained CarFentanyl, this amount of CarFentanyl was bound for Calgary where it was
to be produced into tablets.
• 1.1 Kg of CarFentanyl would have produced 55 million lethal doses of street drugs. (Population of Canada is 35 million.)
The lethal amount of CarFentanyl is smaller than a single grain of salt.
• Fentanyl is being used in pills, powders, e-cigarettes, syringes, anyway possible.
• The number of deaths in Alberta (just Alberta) are staggering as they have almost doubled every year.
• 2011 - 6 deaths.
• 2012 - 29 deaths.
• 2013 - 66 deaths.
• 2014 - 120 deaths.
• 2015 - 272 deaths.
2016 - the Chief Medical Examiner stated that we’re on track for more than 600 deaths in AB.
The number of Fentanyl deaths in British Columbia as reported by the BC Coroners Service: (added this in for my BC colleagues.)
• 2011 - not reported.
• 2012 - 13 deaths.
• 2013 - 49 deaths.
• 2014 - 91 deaths.
2015 - 152 deaths
2016 - 332 deaths from Jan until Sept.
• OH [HTML_REMOVED] S:
• A single event for a person down could be a Fentanyl overdose.
• First Responders should be wearing protective eyewear (RCMP have the UVEX Livewire with Hydroshield which has a foam liner to limit air flow between the lens and the face), gloves, N95 masks, Tyvex suits, and possibly SCBA.
• NEVER smell, taste, or feel the suspected powder. (An RN smelled a bag of Fentanyl in BC.)
• If exposed to the “white powder” of Fentanyl, wash it off immediately.
• RCMP in Alberta, along with Edmonton [HTML_REMOVED] Calgary Police will be getting Naloxone Kits. These will be 4.0 mg nasal sprays. The kits will look like a pre-load medication that EMS already carry, similar to Epinephrine 1:10,000 or Atropine, and the police officer will then add the nasal cone to the syringe which will deliver the medication into the nose as a mist.
Police will be treating “everything” like Fentanyl until it is determined that it isn’t Fentany

Jan. 23, 2017, 6:16 p.m.

When I was little I was told drugs were dangerous, when I got older I was told they were less dangerous.
Guns can kill, drugs can kill.

Roll the dice and pay the price.

Evolution unfortunately.

Jan. 23, 2017, 6:19 p.m.

yeah they can make you repeat yourself

Jan. 23, 2017, 7:38 p.m.

Just because they didn't advertise their wars doesn't mean the Democratic party is any less callous and lethal.

The first victim of war is the truth …

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 23, 2017, 7:41 p.m.

From what I've heard about the PRC it's an amazingly well organized and structured country.

bahahahahahaha…oh man

www.natooke.com

Jan. 23, 2017, 7:45 p.m.

hey there tipper try and censor this fuck you fuck you eat shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veoYcsH7Wrs

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 23, 2017, 8:03 p.m.

it's typically not a personal choice for people who are addicted and the addicted are just looking to get high. addiction is more of a social issue than an individual issue and until society changes the thinking that addicts got there by choice we won't even come close to being able to solve the issue. the rat park vid is a neat little explanation of addiciton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg

here's some more reading to help understand addiction.

https://www.recoveryplace.com/blog/understanding-addiction-why-do-some-people-become-addicts/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/drug-addiction-unmasked-types-people-most-likely-get-addicted-and-why-302676

aaah I battle with it every fucking day so what do you know , It,s personal choice when one allows habits to over take them trust me I know , I also have 1st hand knowledge of what it does to families .

addiction has many colors and flavors!!!

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 23, 2017, 8:13 p.m.

aaah I battle with it every fucking day so what do you know , It,s personal choice when one allows habits to over take them trust me I know , I also have 1st hand knowledge of what it does to families .

oh for sure - gambling, internet, and many other behaviours can become addictions. my point is more that the topic of addiction is about more than just choice as was previously suggested. there are far too many variables in the equation to just knock it down to choice. some people, like yourself, may be better equipped to deal with the forces of addiction whether that be from environmental factors or biological factors, but those things do exist. you can't equate your experience to be the same for all others.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 23, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

Dr. Gabor Mate has worked on the DTES for over a decade and is a big proponent of the theory that addicitons are psychologically based and not physically based.

Q. Are you saying that everyone who ends up addicted was traumatized or abused in childhood?
A. No, I’m not; I am saying that all addictions come from emotional loss, and exist to soothe the pain resulting from that loss. Trauma and abuse, as we define them, are certainly surefire sources of loss but they’re far from the only ones. The human infant and toddler is a highly vulnerable creature, and emotional stresses of all kinds in the rearing environment can create long-lasting wounds in the psyche that a person will later try to soothe or numb with addictive behaviour. In addition to things that do happen that shouldn’t happen, like abuse, there are things that (developmentally speaking) ought to happen that don’t. For instance, any sustained sense of emotional disconnection with the parenting figure – which can often happen when the parent is excessively stressed or preoccupied over a period of time – has the capacity to have this sort of impact, especially if the child is constitutionally very sensitive. In a stressed society like ours, with fewer and fewer supportive resources for parents, this is more and more common.

http://drgabormate.com/topic/addiction/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 23, 2017, 8:23 p.m.

Personal choice is a fallacy.

Jan. 23, 2017, 8:54 p.m.

Personal choice is a fallacy.

so all addicts where forced into their addiction ?? and never decided they wanted to take the next step themselves ?? I know and have known lots of addicts and they all choose to start their own demise

if 9 of your friend OD on junk from the same source and you are aware of this and know this then you purchase your fix from the same source ?? personal choice or addiction

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 23, 2017, 8:59 p.m.

Free will is an illusion. Even more so when physical addiction is involved.

So you were forced to write that post?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 23, 2017, 9:19 p.m.

so all addicts where forced into their addiction ?? and never decided they wanted to take the next step themselves ?? I know and have known lots of addicts and they all choose to start their own demise

if 9 of your friend OD on junk from the same source and you are aware of this and know this then you purchase your fix from the same source ?? personal choice or addiction

if you start to look at the way the brain operates and processes information then you start to see that choice is a bit of a misnomer. it may seem like addicts "choose" to start their own demise, but the choices of addicts (and all people for that matter) are based on their previous experiences. this is what dr Gabor Mate focuses on with his study/research, that addicts are not so much choosing to be high but seeking behaviours that will help to alleviate psychological pain.

this is also why RM says that free will is an illusion and personal choice is a fallacy. as much as we may like to think we have free will and choice, we don't have it to the degree we believe, our choices are formed by the info that is put into our minds so our choices can be shaped based on the information we receive - whether that information is good or bad, true or false.

you can say that an addict chooses to alleviate psychological pain, but it is not really a choice of free will, it is a choice based on a negative environmental experiences. this is what you see in the rat park experiement - the rats that exist in a positive environment have no need for the drug laced water so they don't choose it whereas the rats in a negative environment do choose the drug laced water. we can use the word choice, but it is not one we make freely.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 23, 2017, 9:21 p.m.

^^^ Yes to both, for the most part. The "forced" part is a little harsh. That would impart motive.

Your free will is predicated on you existing outside of rule of physical law.

I'm not so brash to believe this monkey drives the planet as the planet drives me.