Federal Budget levy on gas guzzlers...

March 20, 2007, 11 p.m.

you have to start retraining from the bottom up. if the people stop buying the gas-guzzling good for nothing trucks/suv's, then the automakers will stop making them. i read today that one of the big auto companies is losing money this year - good. maybe that will make them think about producing something more environmentally friendly.

the day the government has to start "training from the bottom up" is a sad day. welcome to nazi germany north america.

March 20, 2007, 11:07 p.m.

the day the government has to start "training from the bottom up" is a sad day. welcome to nazi germany north america.

oh give me a break :rolleyes: it was a reference to the fact that they're taxing the people rather than the manufacturers. it's like a boycott - if people don't buy the product, the product stops getting made.

ya dig?

March 20, 2007, 11:08 p.m.

:lol: Have you honestly managed to compare a tax change to a facist regime?

This space intentionally left blank.

March 20, 2007, 11:48 p.m.

$2K for an expensive gas guzzler is going to do very little to change the amount of units sold. Someone who can afford $50K for an SUV doesn't care if they have to pay some extra tax, nor if they have to pay $1000 a year more on gas. Even middle income earners don't care much - gas went up up 50% in a year, and that did very little to cut down on consumption.

This government, nor Canada, has the economic will or power to invoke a serious change.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 21, 2007, 12:32 a.m.

I think the gateway project will pay for itself in commercial economic benneftis alone. Not investing in commercial infrastructure is shortsighted IMO

True enough but if you remove a large percentage of the one person, one car traffic from the roads the commercial traffic would be able to move much more efficiently. The money would then be freed up for 1) maintenance and 2) transit

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

March 21, 2007, 7:55 a.m.

Just did a bit of Google (is that a verb?) and found this.

"Why do the

March 21, 2007, 8:10 a.m.

oh give me a break :rolleyes: it was a reference to the fact that they're taxing the people rather than the manufacturers. it's like a boycott - if people don't buy the product, the product stops getting made.

ya dig?

ya ya. i was quite drunk when i wrote that response so its a little over the top.

March 21, 2007, 10:23 a.m.

you have to start retraining from the bottom up. if the people stop buying the gas-guzzling good for nothing trucks/suv's, then the automakers will stop making them. i read today that one of the big auto companies is losing money this year - good. maybe that will make them think about producing something more environmentally friendly.

Agree. If there wasn't a demand there wouldn't need to be production.

Example, If there wasn't a demand for Marijauna there would be no growers to supply the demand.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 21, 2007, 10:29 a.m.

the tax maxes at 4000 , and the rebate maxes at 2000. nice work

tax the GAS, not the car. someone driving a prius from abbotsford to vancouver and back 5 times a week is doing alot more enviromental damage than a guy living and working downtown with a pickup truck he takes up to the mountain twice a week

People who drive a Prius that far are only doing that to make themselves feel better and to make their self guilt less when they look in the mirror everyday.

It's more and exercise in patting oneself on the back and justifying one's bad choices.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 21, 2007, 10:30 a.m.

You can't be serious.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk