Federal Budget levy on gas guzzlers...

March 20, 2007, 10:56 a.m.

get kyle washington to do it up non government style and you have yourself a deal

You see Kyle's boat?

meh

March 20, 2007, 10:57 a.m.

will they get a union?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 20, 2007, 11:15 a.m.

You see Kyle's boat?

used to stare at it everyday from my condo on bayshore (in the summer when it was here) they say it is dennis' but methinks kyle is at the helm

saw the helicopter land on it once, a wee bit sketch

but the best was when i went to his penthouse on georgia street to talk about getting him a studio in the same building for his housekeeper.

walk in, the place is 5000 sq ft and set up like a night club…the kicker. it is just a 1 bedroom 2 bath, the rest of the place is just an open party "room"

turn off sigs…it will change your life

March 20, 2007, 11:17 a.m.

It would work if you paid up for it because it costs you 2.50 bucks a liter for gas to drive.

Just like you might be more motivated to convince your boss to work a couple days from home, or carpool, or move closer to work ect ect.

March 20, 2007, 11:18 a.m.

used to stare at it everyday from my condo on bayshore (in the summer when it was here) they say it is dennis' but methinks kyle is at the helm

saw the helicopter land on it once, a wee bit sketch

but the best was when i went to his penthouse on georgia street to talk about getting him a studio in the same building for his housekeeper.

walk in, the place is 5000 sq ft and set up like a night club…the kicker. it is just a 1 bedroom 2 bath, the rest of the place is just an open party "room"

my bro said his reno on the boat was $26 large

dude if I had his cake my condo would closely resemble Brandis

meh

March 20, 2007, noon

it is not about that.

it is about the fact that the type of car you own doesn't have anything to do with the amount of gas you "guzzle"

The type of car you own as well as the total usage has a lot to do with the amount of gas you "guzzle".
I'll agree, someone with a fuel efficient car can consume a lot more energy than a person with a gas-guzzler if the gas-guzzler isn't being used too often.

However, the new tax levy will probably encourage people to choose a more fuel efficient vehicle amongst the class of vehicle they are interested in.
For example, the guy that uses a "gas guzzler" to go to the mountains only twice a week might choose a pick-up or SUV that consumes 12 L/100 km instead of 16L/100km. At the end of the day, that means that less fuel is consumed.

I'd love to see gas being taxed a lot more, but even if that happens, I think most people will still have a certain amount of "minimum travelling" they will want to do no matter what the cost. I think this levy will encourage people to do that amount of "minimum travelling" in a more fuel efficient car.

This levy is an immediate step that can have positive results quickly, while a gas tax that would actually have an impact (an extra 1$ per L) couldn't realistically be put in place quickly without a massive revolt. It would probably take several years to increase it bit by bit (eg 0.10$/yr)

I think the levy/rebate idea is good step but it should be put in place in addition to other measures such as:
massively increasing gas taxes
investing in efficient public transit

:canada: :czech:

March 20, 2007, 12:23 p.m.

all good points

The type of car you own as well as the total usage has a lot to do with the amount of gas you "guzzle".
I'll agree, someone with a fuel efficient car can consume a lot more energy than a person with a gas-guzzler if the gas-guzzler isn't being used too often.

However, the new tax levy will probably encourage people to choose a more fuel efficient vehicle amongst the class of vehicle they are interested in.
For example, the guy that uses a "gas guzzler" to go to the mountains only twice a week might choose a pick-up or SUV that consumes 12 L/100 km instead of 16L/100km. At the end of the day, that means that less fuel is consumed.

I'd love to see gas being taxed a lot more, but even if that happens, I think most people will still have a certain amount of "minimum travelling" they will want to do no matter what the cost. I think this levy will encourage people to do that amount of "minimum travelling" in a more fuel efficient car.

This levy is an immediate step that can have positive results quickly, while a gas tax that would actually have an impact (an extra 1$ per L) couldn't realistically be put in place quickly without a massive revolt. It would probably take several years to increase it bit by bit (eg 0.10$/yr)

I think the levy/rebate idea is good step but it should be put in place in addition to other measures such as:
massively increasing gas taxes
investing in efficient public transit

March 20, 2007, 12:32 p.m.

Definately good points. I would like to see What Stinky proposed combined with incentives.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

March 20, 2007, 12:47 p.m.

Just like you might be more motivated to convince your boss to work a couple days from home, or carpool, or move closer to work ect ect.

Sorry, I really really really can't resist!

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/ect.html

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 20, 2007, 1:01 p.m.

well i know NOTHING about track leases and the like, but the west coast express here is a success. sure it only runs during rush hour but the trains are full each and everytime they run and bring people from frikking mission to vancouver.

I read somewhere that the West Coast Express subsidy is something like 100[HTML_REMOVED]#37;, eg the fare only covers 1/2 the actual cost.

Edit: Looks like they are improving, but the data is only up until 2005.
http://www.westcoastexpress.com/Facts.htm

March 20, 2007, 5:14 p.m.

I read somewhere that the West Coast Express subsidy is something like 100%, eg the fare only covers 1/2 the actual cost.

Edit: Looks like they are improving, but the data is only up until 2005.
http://www.westcoastexpress.com/Facts.htm

i would be extremely happy if transit fares could cover half the costs of the system

March 20, 2007, 5:26 p.m.

Using existing track looks alot better on paper than how it works in reality.

Plus the BN line from whiterock goes to new west.

Definetly.

Still remember when I was in Sydney Australia. For the Olympics they had layed some new lines as well as basically from what I observed took over existing rail lines. The freight trains coming and going had to fit into the transit schedule. Not the other way round.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 20, 2007, 6:22 p.m.

Are the crats running low on money? Guess someone wants another raise. Does this go into the gas companies profits too or just the goverments?

Clunking is for retards.

March 20, 2007, 10:02 p.m.

Ok. I will preface this with my political views. I feel that government works for us as a society and targeting the users/poor folk instead of the makers/rich folk is foolish. Say what you will about that.

So. We have these rich manufaturers that can afford (fairly easily I would assume) to change their product as we would no doubt buy it cause we are shallow, greedy f's that just want stuff. So. Enforce that they start diversifying their product. We all know that too much of a good thing is bad. A few Hybrid car's, a few bio-diesel, a few wutever, and the status quo would definitely benefit. The manufacturer's of the product should be those that are responsible to change the "status quo". F, I've heard of cars that run on water. There are options.
Ford can be sued for producing a car that apparently blows up when rear-ended. They should be put to task for not producing auto's that may just be environmentally friendly. Their product is "killing our environment".
So ya! Gas taxes are cool. Are transit system doesn't suck so bad. It could be better but it ain't nearly as bad as other system's across the world. But lets remember. The government should be working for us the apparent populous that is terrified of the coming disaster and go after the god damn f's that keep producing the crap that we keep gobblin up.

March 20, 2007, 10:06 p.m.

The government should be working for us the apparent populous that is terrified of the coming disaster and go after the god damn f's that keep producing the crap that we keep gobblin up.

you have to start retraining from the bottom up. if the people stop buying the gas-guzzling good for nothing trucks/suv's, then the automakers will stop making them. i read today that one of the big auto companies is losing money this year - good. maybe that will make them think about producing something more environmentally friendly.