Favorite Vancouver area Neighborhoods to Live in

Sept. 21, 2020, 4:10 p.m.

Posted by: Mike.T

To me, Brentwood is an eyesore. And its going to keep getting worse.  No sign of construction slowing down. Its just going to be another Metrotown.

Meh, I don’t spend a lot of time staring at the sidewalk. With Brentwood if you’re in the right tower you have killer views of the North Shore, downtown and the SSC. On top of that:

- 5 to 10 minute walk to skytrain

- 20 to 35 minute commute downtown depending time of day

- 5 to 10 minute walk to groceries/shopping 

- 5 to 15 minute walk to food/restaurants 

- 15 minute drive to Seymour/Fromme in the mornings on weekends

- 25 minute pedal to SFU

- 20 to 30 minute drive to Eagle/Burke

Brentwood is just about smack in the middle of the mtb riding zones in metro Van, close to the highway for Squam/Whis/Valley riding and has lots of amnenities right at your doorstep. Real estate is also cheaper than the Shore with no worries about being trapped by a bridge incident. There is a large list of reasons to consider Brentwood as home base if you’re a rider.

Sept. 21, 2020, 4:49 p.m.

If its in the middle of everything.. its close to nothing. Theres something to be said about having something (whatever it might be) close by to ya. food for thought.

Sept. 21, 2020, 5:05 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Real estate is also cheaper than the Shore 

Is that true? I look at a fair bit of real estate listings and based on what I've seen, North Van has some of the best "bang for your buck" in the region for detached houses at least. Thinking more about Lynn Valley and east of there (Seymour area, etc.) as the western parts of North Van (Edgemont, etc.) seem to be considerably more expensive. Not saying it's cheap, but a $1.5M house in North Van seems to be a lot bigger and nicer than a $1.5M house in North Burnaby based on my experiences. East Van seems to be the worst for bang for your buck.

Sept. 21, 2020, 5:14 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

If its in the middle of everything.. its close to nothing. Theres something to be said about having something (whatever it might be) close by to ya. food for thought.

I guess you missed the 15 minute drive to riding and all the other things that are super close?

Edit 

I’ve lived in the same location for the past decade so I know from lots of experience the positive things about the Brentwood area

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 21, 2020, 5:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2020, 5:19 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Is that true? I look at a fair bit of real estate listings and based on what I've seen, North Van has some of the best "bang for your buck" in the region for detached houses at least. Thinking more about Lynn Valley and east of there (Seymour area, etc.) as the western parts of North Van (Edgemont, etc.) seem to be considerably more expensive. Not saying it's cheap, but a $1.5M house in North Van seems to be a lot bigger and nicer than a $1.5M house in North Burnaby based on my experiences. East Van seems to be the worst for bang for your buck.

I’m thinking more condos than single family. Shore can be cheaper than Burnaby for SFH, but not by a lot from what I’ve seen. I think there’ll be better choices either side of the inlet depending on a bunch of variables. My feelings from the OP is that they’re not going to be looking at SFH, but you never know.

Sept. 21, 2020, 5:23 p.m.

Probably gotta be like 8 Cactus/Earls/Joeys/Browns/Moxies/Shark Club within a 15min walk at Brentwood. 🤤🤤🤤

Sept. 21, 2020, 5:30 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Probably gotta be like 8 Cactus/Earls/Joeys/Browns/Moxies/Shark Club within a 15min walk at Brentwood. 🤤🤤🤤

That’s the one area that does suffer a bit. But, if you walk 15 minutes or drive 5 minutes up Willingdon to Hastings there are lots of cool ethnic restaurants to choose from. Also lots of other shops/services too.

Sept. 22, 2020, 10:46 a.m.

with no worries about being trapped by a bridge incident.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Live on the Shore, work on the Shore, play on the Shore. Blow up the bridges, make the Shore an Island.

Sept. 22, 2020, 4:05 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

. East Van seems to be the worst for bang for your buck.

Yeah, parking cost more too.

Sept. 22, 2020, 6:23 p.m.

We moved to Edgemont in March from near Capilano mall (Feel and 16th) and the quality of life is nice here. Close to the trails, close to shops (Edgemont village and Park Royal), close to downtown (work), great in-catchment schools that are walking/biking distance (3 kids). Only downside is the cost of housing. However, if you're a renter, rents are not as astronomical as they used to be for a family dwelling. The Speculation and Vacancy Tax has put downward pressure on rental prices.

Last edited by: rnayel on Sept. 22, 2020, 6:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 23, 2020, 12:34 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

with no worries about being trapped by a bridge incident.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Live on the Shore, work on the Shore, play on the Shore. Blow up the bridges, make the Shore an Island.

MNVIA

Make North Van an Island Again.

Sept. 23, 2020, 12:53 a.m.

Obviously, a lot depends on where you work and if you'd be driving to/for work. If you're working downtown riding to work is a good option from the shore and e-bike commuting from the shore is exploding.

If you want nightlife go for East Van. You can get to places by transit/cab/pub-bike reasonably and driving to the shore post work is reasonable via second narrows. If that's not a consideration then live on the shore

Sept. 23, 2020, 12:57 a.m.

Also Deep Cove > than Lynn Valley ? Fuck off !

Sept. 23, 2020, 7:18 a.m.

Haha then Pitt Meadows beat Deep cove.

Steveston in Richmond won this stupid CBC contest which is great. Hopefully the hoards will go there instead for a fish and chips and insta acknowledgement.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 23, 2020, 10:47 a.m.

Favorite  place is anywhere that is not in the GVRD

Steveston is nice but it is a long way out there

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 23, 2020, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.