Fat Bastards

July 26, 2005, 2:01 p.m.

So after letting the healthy eating go and mostly just drinking an assload of beer I need to restart the Fat Bastard Diet. I lost 16 lbs between april and June and now put back on 8 over the last few months. The epic rides dont seem to melt the pounds off when your quaffing back pints apres ride. Im think im going to lay off the booze for the next 60 days and increase the ride time in saddle and see if that works.

current weight 198lbs

Hows are the rest of the fat bastards doing?

July 26, 2005, 2:22 p.m.

I'm going to be starting a major de-fattening in the next few weeks, once I'm moved.

No special plan, just gonna do daily exercise and change up my diet for a few months 1st, and see where I am after that.

Anyone know if those body fat scales are at all accurate? I'm not looking at it to give me perfect numbers, but it'd be nice to be able to keep track of weight loss and fat % change through out and see what's working for me and what isn't. But only if the body fat measurement actually works. Otherwise just a regular scale will do.

July 26, 2005, 2:47 p.m.

186, 6'1. put on more muscle than anything. gotten back in to doing crunches, push ups, and light freeweights at home. got my gym pass too. been swimming a bit, gotta get back started on the gym though.

i think spins are the best for weight loss in my experience, cause its straight out cardio. even on epic rides you're not working FLAT out.

my work out plan is mostly chilling in the sun :lol:

July 26, 2005, 3:03 p.m.

Here's a few tips from a female point of view (seeing as we are always dieting)…
get the book the G.I diet, its a realistic life changing book that divides foods into red, yellow and green light. Also, dont stop drinking or doing other fun things that you love or you'll just end up binging. try keeping a journal of what you eat…thats one of the best ways to do it…then give yourself a treat each week. the best way to measure loss is to do body measurements, take measures of your thighs, arms, belly, hips and chest and then measure them each month and keep it in a chart so you can see progress. Bikers dont tend to lose pounds in the summer, but inches in the right places.
good luck

jesus, the "gnar face" made me spit coke on my monitor.

July 26, 2005, 3:15 p.m.

I dont binge diet but I do find that if your focused hard on losing weight/getting fit its easier to stay on track. I usually cut out all booze at least once a year for a couple months, it just harder to do during patio / bbq season.

July 26, 2005, 3:24 p.m.

Anyone know if those body fat scales are at all accurate? I'm not looking at it to give me perfect numbers, but it'd be nice to be able to keep track of weight loss and fat % change through out and see what's working for me and what isn't. But only if the body fat measurement actually works. Otherwise just a regular scale will do.

I assume you're talking about the Tanita scale-I've got one. IME, the Tanita scale is a useful tool for monitoring relative fat percentages. You do get consistent readings under the same conditions (time of day, level of hydration, before/after peeing).

A lot of people have reported that their Tanita readings do not jibe with their fat percentage measured through other techniques, so it's fair to say that the Tanita might not be a good measure of absolute fat percentage.

Also, note that the better Tanita models (not mine) have an "athlete" setting that automatically gives lower values for physically active people. That should tell you something about the Tanita's accuracy for measuring absolute fat percentage.

Within its limitations, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Tanita scale for monitoring your relative fat percentage.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 26, 2005, 3:28 p.m.

Thanks for the info Sanrensho. That's kinda what I thought, so that's perfect.

July 27, 2005, 12:37 a.m.

I'm holding steady-eddy. My biggest thing is the beer consumption I guess.

July 27, 2005, 8:27 a.m.

i'm 188 and haven't moved in weeks. How can i keep drinking, not do too much endurance, not diet, eat some carbs and lose 10 lbs? I thought whistler would do the trick but that just gives me musclely forearms. When I go to Hawaii next week, i'm gonna let the gut hang out over the speedo.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

July 27, 2005, 8:36 a.m.

I blame it all on Zedbra and his force feeding me Stella for the last two months. It all started going downhill on our roadtrip. sure we biked all day ……… and drank beer.

have fun in Hawaii, Its a good time time to go on a holiday before the little one gets to wild.

July 27, 2005, 9:02 a.m.

anti trail natzi should be in here soon..

p.s. I'm not fat.. yet.

send them a pic of you riding their DH RACE bike off the roof of Rochester School…and ask if the crack is really a manufacturing defect.

EVIL DOC FOR SALE!!
http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=2155
PM ME!

July 27, 2005, 10:19 a.m.

get a road bike, and ride it a fast and as far as you can.

July 27, 2005, 12:57 p.m.

I blame it all on Zedbra and his force feeding me Stella for the last two months. It all started going downhill on our roadtrip. sure we biked all day ……… and drank beer.

have fun in Hawaii, Its a good time time to go on a holiday before the little one gets to wild.

Stella diet good keep on it

Drinks Beer Wags Tail

July 27, 2005, 12:58 p.m.

I wasnt fat in the first place, but somehow I managed to lose 6 lbs so far this summer:lol:. I dont know how as I have done no exercise other than some street and DH.

July 27, 2005, 1:43 p.m.

Winter - nudged 205 and didn't like the way things were headed.
Now - hovering between 190-195; I'm on the bike at least 2 hrs every day but that's been the case for decades.
Goal - 185 so I match the 500lb ti spring on my shock.
The Challenge - home made cookies. It's nothing for me to scarf a dozen down after dinner. The kids have hiding spots all over to try and keep me away from them.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol: