fast food

Nov. 8, 2020, 9:09 p.m.

The one at Main st. & Mtn. Hwy is always busy.  Its an income trust.  Yields over 4%.  Im long mozza burgers.

Nov. 8, 2020, 11:07 p.m.

Given the restaurant operating hour restrictions, for late night food AnW is hard to beat. They were one of the first larger chains to adopt the no hormone's, steroids etc and maybe no frozen beef as well, it all seems to be paying since I've noticed some strategici locations opening up as well.

It's one guilty pleasure you shouldnt have to feel guilty about. If you do, just think: you could've went to McDonalds instead but you didnt.

Nov. 9, 2020, 2:28 p.m.

a and w is the least worst of all the fast food places.

youre in courtenay though arent you? you should be going to cooks in cumberland for your burger needs.

Nov. 9, 2020, 10:36 p.m.

Cook's looks like the Van Isle equivalent to In and Out burger. I will def. be going there next time I am over.

Nov. 10, 2020, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Cook's looks like the Van Isle equivalent to In and Out burger. I will def. be going there next time I am over.

It's well worth the stop.

Nov. 10, 2020, 8:08 a.m.

I've really tried to love cooks but the good flavour just doesn't overcome the feeling of paying too much. Its like a 4oz patty smashed to be razor thin on a store bought portafino bun with some cheap shredded ice berg and a tomato slice. Why is it 9$? Their fries are tasty and not overpriced.... their salad is ok and definitely overpriced. And that's just about the entire menu. 

It's ok, but not sure why anyone would be excited about it....

Nov. 10, 2020, 8:20 a.m.

when you consider its like 8 bucks for an a n w burger.. I really cant comment on how an extra dollar more causes your ass to get chapped, when its a local establishment with local ingredients.

Nov. 10, 2020, 8:30 a.m.

I like their breakfast & coffee when I'm on the road. The classic car guys still meet at the local one which is pretty cool.

Nov. 10, 2020, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

I like their breakfast & coffee when I'm on the road. The classic car guys still meet at the local one which is pretty cool.

I like how you can gets bacon, eggs and toast diner style.  It's my go to road stop as well.  

Canadian laws make it impossible for a proper In and Out burger experience.  They can cook a redder burger down there because the laws here make restaurants cook to a higher internal temperature.  I have experimented at home and come pretty close to one of their burgers.  The secret is the sauce (of course).

Nov. 10, 2020, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I like how you can gets bacon, eggs and toast diner style.  It's my go to road stop as well.  

Canadian laws make it impossible for a proper In and Out burger experience.  They can cook a redder burger down there because the laws here make restaurants cook to a higher internal temperature.  I have experimented at home and come pretty close to one of their burgers.  The secret is the sauce (of course).

I'll take the good with the bad on that one. The standards make pretty good sense. No danger zone cooked, steroid fed, hormone injected fast food beef for me thanks.

Nov. 11, 2020, 10:11 a.m.

The law's regarding med rare burger's are there because Canada process's ground beef differently and there's a much higher chance of a "reaction".  May not be phrased the best but that was my understanding. Source: food safe course.

Nov. 11, 2020, 6:19 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

The law's regarding med rare burger's are there because Canada process's ground beef differently and there's a much higher chance of a "reaction".  May not be phrased the best but that was my understanding. Source: food safe course.

By grinding beef into hamburger, you are essentially taking any bacteria that was on the surface of the meat and mixing it all in. Depending on how carefully the beef is slaughtered will dictate how much of that E. coli is going to be in your double cheeseburger. If you dont cook that hamburger to at least 160F (considered 'medium'), you run the risk of infecting yourself with E coli, which at very least can make you very sick and at worst can kill you. People who eat or order their hamburger medium-rare are rolling the dice. Sure they will probably get away with it most of the time, but that one time you dont get away with it can kill you. If you dont know the source of the beef and precisely how it was slaughtered and processed id stick with cooking and eating it well done.

Nov. 11, 2020, 6:37 p.m.

Triple Os ftw

Nov. 11, 2020, 9:03 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

By grinding beef into hamburger, you are essentially taking any bacteria that was on the surface of the meat and mixing it all in. Depending on how carefully the beef is slaughtered will dictate how much of that E. coli is going to be in your double cheeseburger. If you dont cook that hamburger to at least 160F (considered 'medium'), you run the risk of infecting yourself with E coli, which at very least can make you very sick and at worst can kill you. People who eat or order their hamburger medium-rare are rolling the dice. Sure they will probably get away with it most of the time, but that one time you dont get away with it can kill you. If you dont know the source of the beef and precisely how it was slaughtered and processed id stick with cooking and eating it well done.

Most of this is correct, but 160 is about as well done as it gets. Medium is 130-135

Nov. 12, 2020, 6:36 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Triple Os ftw

The one in Duncan is a good stop after some Tzouhalem laps.