Fact of the day

May 19, 2020, 9:09 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Forty years ago today Mount Saint Helen's blew up. Maybe some older folks here can recall what they were doing when it happened. I was going outside to see what my Dad was up to in the back yard when I heard a crack of what I thought was thunder. Later we found out what had happened.

I was probably riding around on my BMX with my friends since that is pretty much all I did as a kid, but I don't remember anything happening.  No ash made it to my house.

May 19, 2020, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Forty years ago today Mount Saint Helen's blew up. Maybe some older folks here can recall what they were doing when it happened. I was going outside to see what my Dad was up to in the back yard when I heard a crack of what I thought was thunder. Later we found out what had happened.

I was probably riding around on my BMX with my friends since that is pretty much all I did as a kid, but I don't remember anything happening. No ash made it to my house.

Haha, ditto. West Van BMX mob.

I heard the eruption too, 8 year old self chalked it up to the Coal Harbor 9 o'clock cannon going off at the wrong time.

Speaking of, did you know that that cannon once blew a hole in the floating gas station that used to be out front? Apparently the Texaco was anchored directly in line with the cannon, and In 1964 someone managed to throw a rock right into the barrel from the beach. When it went off that night it blew a hole right through the O of the Texaco sign.

Other cannon facts: In 1969 UBC Engineering students stole the cannon and held it ransom for their annual prank. Another year they painted it red.

Remember when they hung a Volkswagen Beetle from the Lions Gate?

Last edited by: Hepcat on May 19, 2020, 2:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2020, 11:21 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

How about the Golden Gate?

https://www.macleans.ca/general/i-prank-therefore-i-am/

May 20, 2020, 11:47 a.m.

Guess they've done the bridge & Beetle trick 3 times since that first time in '81. Back then every year the UBC prank was a spectacular arrestable offense, dangerous and disruptive was just kids having fun.

Hard to imagine this city that irresponsible and carefree now. Ah the good old days, when parents could still snort cocaine. And vast BMX gangs of grade school kids roamed the city daily, completely unchecked and miles from home.

May 20, 2020, 12:08 p.m.

Guess they've done the bridge & Beetle trick 3 times since that first time in '81. Back then every year the UBC prank was a spectacular arrestable offense, dangerous and disruptive was just kids having fun.

Hard to imagine this city that irresponsible and carefree now. Ah the good old days, when parents could still snort cocaine. And vast BMX gangs of grade school kids roamed the city daily, completely unchecked and miles from home.

Back in the day when a "mile" was a meaningful unit of measure?

;)

May 20, 2020, 1:17 p.m.

Haha, ditto. West Van BMX mob.

I heard the eruption too, 8 year old self chalked it up to the Coal Harbor 9 o'clock cannon going off at the wrong time.

Speaking of, did you know that that cannon once blew a hole in the floating gas station that used to be out front? Apparently the Texaco was anchored directly in line with the cannon, and In 1964 someone managed to throw a rock right into the barrel from the beach. When it went off that night it blew a hole right through the O of the Texaco sign.

Other cannon facts: In 1969 UBC Engineering students stole the cannon and held it ransom for their annual prank. Another year they painted it red.

Even in my little neighborhood, we were a mob.  The BMX era was a great time to be a kid.  We were still allowed to disappear all day without our parents knowing what we were up to and we all had rad bikes.  At least we thought they were rad.

May 20, 2020, 1:40 p.m.

Haha, remember my mom freaking on me because someone reported seeing my 12 year old self and some friends riding our BMXs from the Cove over the Ironworkers to go to MacDonald's on Hastings. She freaked because back then it was just a sidewalk with no barrier, super sketchy ... Lionsgate was even worse before they replaced the deck, had gnarly uneven sidewalk panels with metal edges sticking up. 

In regard to the engineers beetle prank, I think they made up for it engineering the deck replacement. What a job that must have been.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on May 20, 2020, 1:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2020, 2:26 p.m.

The VW Beetle on top of the clock tower was more impressive than the one hanging from the bridge.

March 2, 2023, 3:22 p.m.

The last day of this year will be 123123. (12/31/23)

March 28, 2023, 9:20 p.m.

The founders of both Adidas & Puma sportswear companies belonged to the Nazi party.

March 29, 2023, 11 a.m.

The founders of both Adidas & Puma sportswear companies belonged to the Nazi party.

And they were brothers.