Eyeglasses

Sept. 2, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

I had laser eye surgery in 2002. While I see 20/20, I have night vision issues. Google "laser eye starbursts" to see what I mean. Night vision issues are one of the most common complications, and as I understand, the risks are proportional to the degree of correction, and your pupil diameter.

Also, my ability to see high contrast very clearly was diminished. Would I do it again tho looking back 15 year later? Yes. But barely. So nice to not have glasses. I was a 5.0 myopia.

Oh and a colleague had it done and he has chronic dry eye. Carries eye drops all the time.
Dont take the decision to mess with your eyes lightly.

Sept. 2, 2015, 1:28 p.m.

Laser eye surgery isn't even on the radar right now but I definitely would not make the decision without a lot of research. Costco eye exam booked for tomorrow.

Sept. 2, 2015, 2:37 p.m.

I had laser eye surgery in 2002. While I see 20/20, I have night vision issues. Google "laser eye starbursts" to see what I mean. Night vision issues are one of the most common complications, and as I understand, the risks are proportional to the degree of correction, and your pupil diameter.

Also, my ability to see high contrast very clearly was diminished. Would I do it again tho looking back 15 year later? Yes. But barely. So nice to not have glasses. I was a 5.0 myopia.

Oh and a colleague had it done and he has chronic dry eye. Carries eye drops all the time.
Dont take the decision to mess with your eyes lightly.

I agree. I took 5 years to make the decision and was waiting on technology. They now do a custom wavefront method of adjusting the cornea, which eliminates (for many) the night vision issues. This has only been offered for a few years, so after your time. This was one of my biggest concerns. I have no starbursts with this surgery and any glare is much less than with glasses at night (even with anti-reflective coatings). And glasses in the rain at night? No comparison.

Chronic dry eye is now something they also test for and advise you accordingly. I was marginal and went for it. I have no significant issues - again, not more or less than with contacts. They also can install small implants that open your tear ducts for nominal cost during (or after) the surgery. I have not needed this. Your friend might want to inquire.