Eyeglasses

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:28 a.m.

Alright nsmb it's time I admit defeat and go get glasses before my license renewal in October. Does anyone have recommendations in the tri-cities? Hoping to get a buy one get one deal or similar. I'll be looking for one nice regular pair, a cheaper pair for work and maybe riding (would contacts be better? I work with a reno company so lots of time around dust particles and on saws) and one nice pair of prescription sunglasses. Is buying online once your know your prescription the way to go?

Thanks!

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

Contacts are way better for sports than eyeglasses. Keep a spare lens or two in your backpack, just in case.

Yeah, once you know your prescription, it's so much cheaper to purchase online.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:48 a.m.

I generally wear glasses when riding my bike but I use disposable contacts to ski.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:14 a.m.

contacts for sure. no need for prescription sunglasses then. not good for swimming though! clearly contacts and superstore are priced close. Costco too but I haven't used them.

enclosed goggles are good for the dust at work too. acuvue oasys contacts are good. use for 2 weeks and chuck em.

online buying is ok once your happy with your lenses but you cant try out different lenses on trial.

Sept. 1, 2015, 12:27 p.m.

Contacts for sure. Last time I ordered, Contactlensking had better pricing than 1800contacts, Vision Direct, and Coastal Contacts.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 1, 2015, 12:30 p.m.

I generally wear glasses when riding my bike but I use disposable contacts to ski.

I bought goggles w/fans in 'em. :D

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 1, 2015, 12:34 p.m.

Costco optical prices cant be beat, unless you order online. And decent selection. Avoid dedicated eyeglass shops as they'll charge you $400 for nice frames, lenses extra.

Costco all in for like 2hundy

oh and contacts kinda suck. They can irritate your eyeball and I find don't correct your vision as well as glasses IMO

Sept. 1, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

Alright I'll have to check out costco. Do they have a pretty good selection for frames?

Sept. 1, 2015, 3:15 p.m.

^decent enough selection that unless your are a sissy metrosexual you should find something.

But don't skimp out and NOT get the anti reflective coating. i did and regretted it. $40 extra I think.

Sept. 1, 2015, 3:43 p.m.

LASER EYES FTW!!

(surgery)

I had Lasik 9 years ago or so - best $3,000 I ever spent.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 1, 2015, 4:42 p.m.

LASER EYES FTW!!

(surgery)

I had Lasik 9 years ago or so - best $3,000 I ever spent.

:duh:

Price has come down a lot too. I spent $1,800 on mine. Best money ever spent.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Sept. 1, 2015, 5:27 p.m.

Got lasered 21 years ago and agree with rewoga and Norman. Money well spent.

Sept. 1, 2015, 5:34 p.m.

http://www.zennioptical.com/
$28 shipped… arrived 8 days later.
Second time i've done it with this online store.
Excellent both times

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Tru-View Optical on Hastings in Burnaby. See Elaine. Not a fancy place but they have all the brand names at much lower prices than I have found elsewhere. I can usually get two sets of designer frames and lenses for ~$400.

Sept. 2, 2015, 10:01 a.m.

I agree on laser surgery and it sounds like your prescription is relatively minor. Price varies depending on the level of after-care, the amount of correction, and the methodology you choose (all laser versus blended incision and laser).

London Eye will tell you all laser is the only way, because that's all they sell. Lasik offers both and will walk you through the differences. Either is fine. You save some money with the older method where they make the incision with a micro-blade and do the correction with the laser. Both methods seem to have the same success rate. Just some folks get freaked out at the thought of a blade on their lens. I did the blade, and once you're frozen, it can't possible make a difference.

I had semi-poor vision and mine was $2200 all in including the first 2 years of check-ups to keep my "warranty". I did their $0 Down no interest for 12 months and just set up payments at $185 a month. It actually worked, no gimmicks or hidden fees. They use Desjardins bank, a reputable bank in Quebec. It was easy. Cancelled the account immediately after last payment.

2.5 years later…. can't believe I waited so long and dealt with so much hassle with contacts, glasses, sunglasses, swimming, skiing, goggles, etc. Over 20 years with those stupid things. But my rule was that I had to know 5 people that had had the surgery for 5 years with no complications. Didn't want to mess my eyes up. They're pretty useful. Liberating and can't imagine wearing glasses for distance again.

Lots of horror stories on-line, but that's what the internet is for. Squeaky wheel and all that. But certainly a life decision you have to weigh carefully and make for yourself. Personally, I regret waiting so long.