Even less MRI availability

Dec. 5, 2009, 8:36 a.m.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/12/04/12035296-sun.html

I guess BC is really really broke. They try to cut back everywhere they can. Here they choose to cut down 20% of all the 25k MRI performed annually. I don't really get it.
Even from a financial point of view. When you have payed for the purchase of the instrument, the annual cost of the building, the cooling of the magnets the actual action of taking the MRI is more or less free. I mean maybe it cost 100$ to pay the tech and the doctor who read the scan.
On the other hand this technique is absolutely priceless when it comes to diagnostic. How many times did I heard the story of somebody having to pass two to four "cheap" test such as X-ray or Scanner with no clear results before they are finally sent to an MRI to really "see" where the problem is.
As the article suggest it, it might only be a way to increase the delays required to access the really pricey action: going to see a surgeon.
Anyway, what a sad news and a shame for BC. Yeah, I'm so stoked for the Olympics. Please be a couch potatoes and look at downhill skiing and hockey on your big dumb flat screen TV because if you ever crash in real life don t expect us to be able to treat you.

PS: Is it possible in BC to contract an insurance with a private cie to be sure that I could access an MRI and then see a surgeon in less than a month if I crash? Because I am damn interested since I do not trust at all the health insurance system here anymore.

Dec. 5, 2009, 9:59 a.m.

Awesome news :(

Just got a referral for an MRI yesterday…Guess I'll have to drop a grand and get it done privately..

It's total bullshit to be cutting diagnostic services in healthcare.

Posted via Mobile Device

Dec. 5, 2009, 10:18 a.m.

I guess BC is really really broke. They try to cut back everywhere they can. Here they choose to cut down 20% of all the 25k MRI performed annually. I don't really get it.
Even from a financial point of view. When you have payed for the purchase of the instrument, the annual cost of the building, the cooling of the magnets the actual action of taking the MRI is more or less free. I mean maybe it cost 100$ to pay the tech and the doctor who read the scan.
On the other hand this technique is absolutely priceless when it comes to diagnostic. How many times did I heard the story of somebody having to pass two to four "cheap" test such as X-ray or Scanner with no clear results before they are finally sent to an MRI to really "see" where the problem is.
As the article suggest it, it might only be a way to increase the delays required to access the really pricey action: going to see a surgeon.
Anyway, what a sad news and a shame for BC. Yeah, I'm so stoked for the Olympics. Please be a couch potatoes and look at downhill skiing and hockey on your big dumb flat screen TV because if you ever crash in real life don t expect us to be able to treat you.

PS: Is it possible in BC to contract an insurance with a private cie to be sure that I could access an MRI and then see a surgeon in less than a month if I crash? Because I am damn interested since I do not trust at all the health insurance system here anymore.

As a fellow Canadian, I say this with love in my heart….

You can always go back to where you came from!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 5, 2009, 10:59 a.m.

100$ to pay the tech and the doctor who read the scan.

Bwahaha, I'm not really sure how much Rads charge to read individual MRI's but I do know they are some of the highest paid docs around.

Join SIMBS and help mountain biking on the Rock

Get out of the way, freedom's coming through!

Dec. 5, 2009, 12:42 p.m.

Just got a referral for an MRI yesterday…Guess I'll have to drop a grand and get it done privately..

If it just extremity-specific(arm/leg), then you can get one done for under $500.

Both the wife and i had our ACL repairs done privately, including MRI's. Our extended health benefits covered it, because it was in their best interest to get us back to work sooner. Neither one of us would be able to do are job without the repairs, so to be on extended benefits for a year or 2 would be tons more expensive then the surgery.

I'm sure one could purchase private insurance to cover this stuff…..but it won't come cheap.

Dec. 5, 2009, 12:56 p.m.

News flash

with the boomers getting old we cant afford universal health care.

Dec. 5, 2009, 1 p.m.

Ever notice that every move they make pushes people into private care. I would wager to say that we are/have moved to a two tier system.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Dec. 5, 2009, 1:39 p.m.

Ever notice that every move they make pushes people into private care. I would wager to say that we are/have moved to a two tier system.

so is this wrong or right?

Did you know that at the Cambie medicial center over 80% of their clients are either, WCB or Insurance patients? These are people who have jobs and it would cost the province millions if they stayed off work. By allowing these people to get health care else where it should ease up the burden on the puplic system time wise.They also use less funds(or zero, but i can't say that for sure) to pay for the surgeries and ease the cost on the medicial system(or atleast greatly reduce it) for similiar type surgies.

you can only access the private system through a third party.

As an added note,2 tier systems have been proven to work in other countries(or so i've read)

this guy has some decent things to say, but he is pro 2 tier and does own(or partnered) the Cambie Medicial Center.

http://www.brianday.ca/index.html

Dec. 6, 2009, 3:51 p.m.

you can only access the private system through a third party.

If by third party only, you mean have the cash to afford it, then you're correct. Otherwise, it's private for both WCB/Worksafe Claims as well as those with money.

You can call up another private facility and make an appointment since there is more than just the CMC.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 6, 2009, 4:13 p.m.

If you've ever had an MRI I'm sure you'll realize that your estimate of 100 bucks for the staffing involved is retarded.

Front desk staff
2-3 technicians
Radiologist

Fancy dancy electricians like Ninja to keep the thing powered

… the list goes on …

the teh

Dec. 7, 2009, 8:01 p.m.

If you've ever had an MRI I'm sure you'll realize that your estimate of 100 bucks for the staffing involved is retarded.

Front desk staff
2-3 technicians
Radiologist

Fancy dancy electricians like Ninja to keep the thing powered

… the list goes on …

I don t think that 100$ for staffing is that retarded. From what I remember of my MRI at ubc. The front desk was the same person as the tech (Maybe because it was 6h30 in the morning). I think overall she spent maybe 30mn max on my case. If she makes 40$/hour that 20$. Then there is the radiologist. Granted it took him 5 years to learn how to read the damn scan, but to actually read it and write a quick report. I think he can do at least three an hour. Let s say he makes 100$/hr (that s pretty damn good no?) it end up being only 33$ for my case. We are here only at 53$ I think it leaves some room for other people to do some work too…
As for the Ninja electricians if you do one or ten scans it is the same cost.
Anyway, I just think it is sad that we do have such fantastic machines and can't access them…

Dec. 7, 2009, 10:32 p.m.

Bwahaha, I'm not really sure how much Rads charge to read individual MRI's but I do know they are some of the highest paid docs around.

haha I just got back from RSNA, you should see how they like to party.. I met alot of guys with Ferraris.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 7, 2009, 10:36 p.m.

you can find out what the rates are for each type of exam on the internet, there are typically 2 parts technical and professional. The technical cost goes to paying for the equipment/staff, and the professional part goes to the rads.

it gets really disgusting when you realize that normals can be read in 3 mouse clicks and about 5sec, and the total professional billing for that is $20something…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 8, 2009, 9:09 a.m.

For those that need to get their knee checked out check out the MRI place in Richmond. Stickily for the knee which saves a lot of cash. $500.

Dec. 20, 2009, 10:17 a.m.

Well. after 3 months of pain and hobbling around with a brace I now have only a consultation booked with an orthopedic surgeon. OH BOY!! Only then I get on a 9+ month wait list for an MRI and then another 16-18 months for surgery… at least after the consult I can at least get a referreal for a private MRI. I'd already have a private one done but you need a referral for a private MRI???? It's my fucking money….why the hell do you need a referral??

Starting to lose faith in our overloaded system… if a person is even remotely able to work they don't seem to give a shit. A guy at work blew his knee out last winter and he has had three surgeries and a blood clot removed so he can be a "productive" member of society… In retrospect I should have just been a lazy fuck and sat on my ass….My ankle would probably be fixed by now…