Eurotrip 2013

Sept. 12, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

Basically these two Russian dudes illegally climb famous building to capture amazing images. Extremely sketchy but produces beautiful results.

http://dedmaxopka.livejournal.com/71558.html

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Sept. 12, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

that's absolutely crazy but beautiful. nice find.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 12, 2013, 1:41 p.m.

I ma?? ?ra?slat? for you … you li???

http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=ru[HTML_REMOVED]tl=en[HTML_REMOVED]prev=_t[HTML_REMOVED]hl=en[HTML_REMOVED]ie=UTF-8[HTML_REMOVED]u=http://dedmaxopka.livejournal.com/71558.html[HTML_REMOVED]act=url

Sept. 12, 2013, 1:55 p.m.

There are some really great photographs. The Cologne Cathedral and Notre Dame are mindblowing. I never had the nerve to climb the buildings, let alone enter the restricted Areas.

So, moose, when are you going to hop over for some sightseeing?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 12, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

There are some really great photographs. The Cologne Cathedral and Notre Dame are mindblowing. I never had the nerve to climb the buildings, let alone enter the restricted Areas.

So, moose, when are you going to hop over for some sightseeing?

It's on the bucket list.

These guys also climbed the pyramids in Egypt and did the same thing.
http://englishrussia.com/2013/03/22/on-top-of-the-pyramide/

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

Sept. 12, 2013, 5:19 p.m.

those are some wicked pics! I thought climbing the pyramids was a no no

Sept. 12, 2013, 5:23 p.m.

those are some wicked pics! I thought climbing the pyramids was a no no

It is extremely illegal. according to them there are signs posted that say that being convicted is possibly a couple years in jail.

Sept. 12, 2013, 5:57 p.m.

thank you for posting that link .

those pictures are great , and thank you duncan for finding the translated version . the commentary is both entertaining and informative .

mic , i will be travelling by bicycle from cologne to freiburg on the eurovelo route in october . do you have any experience or insight / info to pass on ?

Sept. 15, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

thank you for posting that link .

those pictures are great , and thank you duncan for finding the translated version . the commentary is both entertaining and informative .

mic , i will be travelling by bicycle from cologne to freiburg on the eurovelo route in october . do you have any experience or insight / info to pass on ?

When exactly?

Expect some fairly rainy weather, between 5 to 12 degrees celsius, or sunny and dry with near 20 celsius max….both is possible. The Rhine valley is usually a fair weather zone, and it gets better down South. Freiburg and the area north of it supposedly have the best weather in Germany.

How long do you plan on riding? I think a decent rider can do it in a few easy days.

DO you bring your gear, or do you rent a bike? Alone, or in a group? Alone would be easier for accomodation.

Some stretches were tight (i.e., no proper bike lane in a few places along the Rhine) in the past, do not know how it is at present. I guess with all the long-distance routes popping up in the last years it could have changed.

It seems as if a lot has changed for tourists on bikes, you can get lots of info in German and English on the net and in the local tourist information centers. And the route along the Rhine is one of the oldest in Europe.

Have you already booked accomodation? The schools have their fall-season break (two weeks, but depending on province) - and it could be a good idea to pre-book accomodation.

SICK! I have to definitely correct lots of tests. Damn. But a beer in Cologne should be ok.

- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 15, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

thank you for the reply mic .

i think we'll be there the middle two weeks of october .

tentative plan is to spend two/three days in Koln to visit the wifes' relatives and then i will ride south on eurovelo 15 . no accommodations planned yet as we will just see how far i can get each day and then meet up with the wife / M-I-L as they drive along the route in a rental car .

i'm bringing my own bike and will prolly bring a minimalist C/C touring setup . . . handlebar bag , single pannier rear , lights front and rear , fenders .

the rough mileage looks to be about 600 km , so i was planning to try for 100 km per day , see where that gets us and look for accom there . the M-I-L is obviously fluent in german so she can do all the arrangements .

beer in Koln ? if/when i get there , we'll have a pint or two :lol:

Sept. 16, 2013, 12:46 a.m.

Two things.

1. The blog of the two Russian climbers is featured in today's local newspaper in Cologne. It was even mentioned on the radio of the province. Hehe.

2. Patroskid and all the others pondering long-distance travel in Europe:

http://www.eurovelo.org/routes/

There is all the necessary info, even a forum, anmd I think with a bit of e-search you can get all kinds of info, even if your wife is NOT German, as in patrolskid's case.

Greetings from a busy working day at school. And with all the negativity on the boards lately, I am happy to know a few of you, and I am happy to be part of such a community that helps fellow peeps out on a global scale.

- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 16, 2013, 4:54 a.m.

I didn't think I could be scared of heights until I saw that blog. I've worked 90 ft. in the air, and I was fine. I was even unclipped for part of it. However…. those pictures freak me the hell out.

Sept. 16, 2013, 7:20 a.m.

mic , do you live in Koln ?

Sept. 16, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

mic , do you live in Koln ?

No, I live about 60 km to the North-East, near a small city called Wuppertal (which is about 20 km away). I do sometímes go to Cologne by bike tho. A nice half-day trip through some nice area.Although public trasport is nice as well, even if a bit pricey.

Going by car can be a hassle in cities like Cologne. It can be hard to find decent parking and public parking areas are pretty expensive.And if I go by car…I can not drink the local brew, Kolsch. Similar to IPA, sort of.

- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 12, 2013, 12:50 p.m.

arriving frankfurt oct 18 . travel ( ride ? ) to koln that day . spend a day or two visiting the relatives , then start riding south .

have rented a volks multi van for wife to drive as support .

can't wait to see that cathedral for real . . .