ethically produced meat...

Feb. 19, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

the time seems ripe so to speak.

i have a few friends who are vegan and quite active in promoting the vegan lifestyle especially wrt the welfare of animals. it's something i've been thinking about for a long time and have reduced my consumption of meat significantly and eat mostly fish, beef and organic free range eggs when i have those. the search for meat that has been raised and humanely slaughtered has not yielded a lot of results but there appears to be a new(er) place on commercial drive called pasture to plate. their story on their website sunds good and i've sent in an email to see how there animals are slaughtered with hopes that they take as much care in the butchering of their animals as they do in raising them.

i fully expect to pay more for their product, but as they say on their webpage:

"Good food, produced with integrity, knowledge and hard work cannot be cheap, as cheap always comes with a very high, and usually well-hidden cost that somebody, or something else is paying for."

has anybody here shopped at their store?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 7 p.m.

Yes. Good product. Expensive, as you'd expect.

It is hard to compare prices, but we have also bought meat from:

http://www.bigbearranch.com/

Happy cows and pigs, we figure. Grass fed beef, frankly, is not as delicious as meat fattened up with grains… but you can aquire a taste for it.

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:08 p.m.

when you say expensive.. what does that mean.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:17 p.m.

when you say expensive.. what does that mean.

It means trendy.

I buy local beef,hugged and loved by fairies, for about 2/3 the cost of Safeway beef.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:38 p.m.

We split a cow with another couple once a year. Comes from a local (well, BC) source, grass fed, free range, ethical farm.

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

i buy my meat in batches…often 1/8 of grassfed local cow or i order family pack from Tatanka bison. totally worth it if you have a deep freeze for storage.
i think as with any food, it's not necessarily about cutting an entire food group out but focus on quality and ethics that resonate. i was vegetarian for 12 years and totally unhealthy. i focus now on whole foods, including meats and try to use all parts, not just prime cuts.
Big Bear Ranch is a great source.

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

We split a cow with another couple once a year. Comes from a local (well, BC) source, grass fed, free range, ethical farm.

cost? source?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

We go here every once in a while. It's a bit of a hike out to Pitt Meadows, so usually only pay them a visit when some other visiting or whatever takes us out that direction.

http://www.hopcottmeats.ca/About-Us-2

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:57 p.m.

Tatanka bison - $200 for family pack of 16lbs assorted cuts, roasts, ground
when i bought with North Valley (they no longer offer grassfed beef) 1/8 cow was 53lb at $7.50 per lb plus bones and stock no charge + $20 delivery. Total was $412.25.
You can go to Big Bear website for info on their prices
http://www.bigbearranch.com/content/blogcategory/47/103/

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

It doesn't matter where beef comes from, it's still bad for the environment. You can claim it is grass fed and organic, but its no different than what you buy at Safeway.

Just don't buy beef. Hunt or eat wild game if you really need to consume meat.

(I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely eat beef)

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:05 p.m.

It doesn't matter where beef comes from, it's still bad for the environment. You can claim it is grass fed and organic, but its no different than what you buy at Safeway.

it totally matters whether it's factory corn-fed or grassfed both for the quality of the meat and the environmental footprint. i can send you peer-reviewed articles if you like. i study this.
also, being vegan/veg does not = no footprint. it's all about quality unless of course you are talking animal rights.

best to let people make their own decisions and not say things like "don't". because we're all guilty of environmental footprints whether it's beef consumption, driving, or turning the light on.

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:16 p.m.

it totally matters whether it's factory corn-fed or grassfed both for the quality of the meat and the environmental footprint. i can send you peer-reviewed articles if you like. i study this.
also, being vegan/veg does not = no footprint. it's all about quality unless of course you are talking animal rights.

best to let people make their own decisions and not say things like "don't". because we're all guilty of environmental footprints whether it's beef consumption, driving, or turning the light on.

Ok. But in regards to the raising of the cattle and the methane they produce… all for our consumption, is it better than not consuming it at all?

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:20 p.m.

well everything is bad for the environment in a sense - even these wunnerful machines we communicate on, but how is beef so much more bad for the environment than wild game. they both eat and shit.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:23 p.m.

Ok. But in regards to the raising of the cattle and the methane they produce… all for our consumption, is it better than not consuming it at all?

isn't that more of an issue of the total amount of meat consumed - whether that be wild game or beef?

Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:29 p.m.

isn't that more of an issue of the total amount of meat consumed - whether that be wild game or beef?

In the bigger picture? Sure? Maybe? I don't know but cattle isn't exactly wild game. We raise these animals to feed us. That's the bigger issue. Just don't eat it or like me, cut way back.