ethically produced meat...

Feb. 20, 2016, 6:37 p.m.

Someone also suggested to me the other day that people should have to kill the animal they are going to eat. interesting thought.

You should have to kill your vegetables too instead of just buying ones at the store that have already been slaughtered.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 20, 2016, 7:01 p.m.

You should have to kill your vegetables too instead of just buying ones at the store that have already been slaughtered.

Hahaha! Touche. Same same

Feb. 20, 2016, 7:04 p.m.

I don't kill my vegetables, I just put them in a vegetative state. Here is an iceberg lettuce I harvested and then stuffed and mounted. Good times with me an' the boys.

Feb. 20, 2016, 7:10 p.m.

I think there is a difference between killing and eating an animal or plant that has been raised/cultivated for food and the absurdity of thinking the earth's ecosystems could survive 7 billion humans all eating wild animals and plants to stay alive.

Culling the humans is the real answer to preserving the planet, unfortunately.

Feb. 20, 2016, 7:17 p.m.

I'm pretty much done with red meat. Its more than just energy/waste footprint. For one, its expensive. Also medical research has long suggested it is not that healthy to eat. I don't really miss it either.

I think there is a difference between killing and eating an animal or plant that has been raised/cultivated for food and the absurdity of thinking the earth's ecosystems could survive 7 billion humans all eating wild animals and plants to stay alive.

That's the other thing, beef is not very good for you. Okay in small quantities but the way we (North Americans) consume it, its killing us.

Meat is tasty, don't get me wrong, but we really don't need it, even though many will say how we need to consume it in order to be healthy. I'm not a vegetarian, but I know you can be meat free and have all the benefits (without the drawbacks) of eating meat.

I'll buy red meat maybe once a month. If I hunted my own game, I would probably eat it every day hahaha

Feb. 21, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

so i sent an email off to "pasture to plate" asking about how they slaughter their animals and this is the response that i got:

Thank you for reaching out and asking. I also wanted to know how animals are slaughtered here. A special part of my job here at the ranch is I get to spend time with the animals. I raise many young animals that have been abandoned by their mothers, or have been hurt. I love all these animals, they become very dear to me, they follow me around and snuggle with me, they become my friends. I have 23 lambs that I have raised from a bottle, and I have raised over 20 piglets that were either two small or got hurt when they were just wee babies. I become very attached. It is very important to me that each animal is treated with respect from the moment the arrive until the moment their soul departs.

We have a small abattoir, classical music is played and the animals are kept in pens with deep litter, they are never crowded, the pens are open to the outside, they spend minimal time here. We have a priest cow named Theresa whose presence has a calming effect on the animals. She is extremely gentle and her gentle energy is such a presence. Each animal is taken separately to the chute away from the other animals and a stun gun (bolt) is administered. It is very quick, quiet and accurate. They are then taken into a room where they are laid on their side and bled.

I take comfort in the fact that they have had a happy life. They run and play and have an abundance of pasture to explore, babies are kept with their moms. My hope is that when people eat meat that the meat they eat has been respected from birth to plate and I do feel that happens here.

Kelly
At the ranch

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 21, 2016, 11:50 a.m.

^ that sounds like an eBay ad for a haunted item. :lol: I wonder if the cows are pissed classical music is always played? I'm sure one of them wants to hear some Sabbath.

Feb. 21, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

^ that sounds like an eBay ad for a haunted item. :lol: I wonder if the cows are pissed classical music is always played? I'm sure one of them wants to hear some Sabbath.

lol - yeah i found it to be a bit wierd too.

on principle though i like the steps they take with their animals from start to finish.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 21, 2016, 12:07 p.m.

Seems like a portlandia episode.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 21, 2016, 1:59 p.m.

Seems like a portlandia episode.

I'm pretty sure there was an episode about the exact thing. They go out for dinner then end up going to the farm to see where the free-range chickens come from

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 21, 2016, 3:41 p.m.

Personification of cows by thinking they will enjoy music. Oh wait, not just any music but CLASSICAL! Pretentious much? That is some first class hipster shit right there.

Feb. 21, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

I also find it strange that they go to all that loving length and then still hit it with a bolt - but then drag it into another room and bleed it out while laying down? That would be hard to do and very messy.

Generally, you hit them with a bolt with a hook waiting right below their chin and you string em up while unconscious and bleed them out down the middle, while letting all the guts to come straight out (they have a lot of guts, too). I gutted my first cow when I was 6 - it was something we did 'as a family'.

Feb. 21, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

Heritage breed, woodland raised chicken fed with soy and hazel nuts. Yes, it's local, and the hazelnuts are local too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHJlE4PGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39-xNd_mKg

Feb. 21, 2016, 4:30 p.m.

Feb. 21, 2016, 5:28 p.m.

Mmmkay, so killing is ethical as long as you play music and have a priest cow (?) there. That's some messed up logic there.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk