ethically produced meat...

Feb. 25, 2016, 6:27 p.m.

Do I have to fuck the whiners, though?

You mean fuck youself?

Feb. 25, 2016, 7:06 p.m.

You mean fuck youself?

:cuffs:

Once again Duncan comes through with some serious ownage.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 25, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

You mean fuck youself?

Which one of you is the caboose?

Feb. 25, 2016, 7:27 p.m.

I get my beef from an old lady who has been farming for the past 40 years or something, works out to $5.50ish a lb for all types of cuts from ground beef to roasts to steaks and everything in between. The way I see it though I can't bee too high and mighty about where beef comes from because most pubs and restaurants don't serve organic/grass fed/whatever beef and I'm as guilty as the next guy of eating the stuff then washing it down with cheap non organic beer.

I understand the argument that cows create methane, bad for the environment so on and so forth but if that's your argument I can't take it seriously if you drive a pickup or gas guzzling SUV.

Feb. 25, 2016, 7:29 p.m.

You mean fuck youself?

High time to make a few ocd nbr knowitalls disappear. Bye bye!

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 28, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

The processes nvolved in factory farming have long disturbed me. Beef cows actually have the best lives out of all the choices, other than buffalo. They spend the majority of their lives free-ranging on ranchland in BC's interior, and are finished in feedlots for slaughter.

Pork is raised in huge barns, jampacked in there, concrete floors, best case scenario they have some shavings to "root in" and open ended barns for some fresh air. Breeders are kept confined in pens that don't allow them to turn around because they are so enormous and take up valuable space. Piglets are removed from the mother shortly after birth to prevent death from the sow rolling onto them.

Fryer hens are raised in barns with no fresh air because they are succeptible to the cold and drafts. There are thousands of them per barn, which don't get cleaned out until the birds go to slaughter at 13 weeks. Imagine THAT smell! They are infested with cockroaches, lices, they peck each other sometimes to death.

Layer hens are even worse. They live for 2 years in a 2 foot by 2 foot wire metal cage with 3 or sometimes 5 other birds, the cages are stacked floor to cieling in the barn so they are constantly shitting on each other, the lights neber get turned off because it increases egg production from 1 a day to 1.2 a day. They have their beaks chopped so they don't peck each other, they have such little room to move that by the time they reach the slaughter house in 2 years, they have almost no feathers, their skin is white and their combs are almost colourless. I know these things because I worked in a slaughterhouse for years.

It's a cruel industry. Try to find locally raised animals raised on small farms. There are quite a few on craigslist and I have purchased half pigs that I met in person and were delicious. Eggs are easy to find, and so is chicken.

IMO the welfare of the animal is more important than it's "organic" status.

:canada: :swiss:

Feb. 28, 2016, 11:37 a.m.

That's surreal. Talking to half a pig. Post a vid?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 28, 2016, 11:40 a.m.

probably great in a slow cooker tho.

find a butcher who carries it and keep going back and supporting them

but roasts are to dry and hard to cook IMO.

Supervalu in Gibsons has Bison. They also bring in Bison 'roni, farmer sausage and smokies.

Cook it as you would any other game..add pork fat or bacon to taste

This guy knows.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 28, 2016, 12:15 p.m.

Don't mess with the food chain...

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 28, 2016, 2:27 p.m.

Jesus.

I've heard all that of course, but never from someone with first hand experience. Thanks for the post.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 28, 2016, 2:55 p.m.

High time to make a few ocd nbr knowitalls disappear. Bye bye!

Stupid ass white people.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 29, 2016, 10:44 a.m.

It's a cruel industry. Try to find locally raised animals raised on small farms. There are quite a few on craigslist and I have purchased half pigs that I met in person and were delicious. Eggs are easy to find, and so is chicken.

IMO the welfare of the animal is more important than it's "organic" status.

Factory farming is gross and the meat doesn't taste nearly as good. Check out Joel Salatin. I would like to get 100% of my meat raised the way he farms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnL3JAjXT0g

March 3, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

Supervalu in Gibsons has Bison. They also bring in Bison 'roni, farmer sausage and smokies.

This guy knows.

Save-On in NV has bison, crocodile, ostrich, kangaroo, rabbit …

March 4, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Factory farming is gross and the meat doesn't taste nearly as good. Check out Joel Salatin. I would like to get 100% of my meat raised the way he farms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnL3JAjXT0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfENDwVo2E

Letting a chicken bleed out in front of an audience and no attempt to disable its brain first…..Soooo 'humane' ;) This is what bugs me about the whole 'ethical / humane' fashion. Sure the animals get some nicer food and a bit of daylight but ultimately the animals are just product and the farmers don't really give a shit about them.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 4, 2016, 9:02 a.m.

Letting a chicken bleed out in front of an audience and no attempt to disable its brain first…..Soooo 'humane' ;) This is what bugs me about the whole 'ethical / humane' fashion. Sure the animals get some nicer food and a bit of daylight but ultimately the animals are just product and the farmers don't really give a shit about them.

I take it you never eat chicken? In your opinion, what is a humane way to kill a chicken? This method that Salatin used is considered one of two ways a farm can humanely kill a chicken. The other is breaking it's neck while you hold it, but it takes a lot of skill. I can't say I know a lot about chickens, but that chicken didn't seem to be stressed despite the graphic nature of the bleeding.

His chickens don't get "some better food" and "a bit of daylight", they live on a pasture and he rotates them so it is a different spot with new stuff to peck at every day. That is how he keeps down disease and keeps the soil healthy.

If you are against killing an animal, or at least a warm blooded one, then why wade into a conversation about humane slaughtering anyway?