Enough politics and bickering already..

June 27, 2016, 6:56 a.m.

Just some quick snaps im too lazy to edit or fuck all. definitely had an epic day of pushing my mental and physical boundaries yesterday on our summit of Mt Cain.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 23, 2016, 11:17 p.m.

No pics, but did a lap today of Barnston Island on the bikes with my 85 year old Dad. Thought that was pretty cool.

Thread killer

July 30, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

Was in BC for 8 days and took my daughter to my parents cabin in Emerald Estates in Whistler. Gabi's first time in summer. Took her above for her first time doing this.

Sat above the cabin.

Sunday turned out to be a bit more excitement than expected. Wanted to take her up to the lookout on Section 102, scrapped that 15 seconds after crossing the creek when I realized there was a Black Bear Sow with her 2 cubs scrambling up a tree 25m ahead of us. Once we backed off was cool to have her experience seeing something like that. And moment to share something about bears. And as Gabi said….no one else in my class will have had this experience.

Went to One Duck Lake instead.

Later during the week about to enter Upper Oilcan for the first time in 10 years. Wooooooooo

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 31, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2JhZLgU_ak

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 31, 2016, 3:21 p.m.

Lol stay low that extra 3 feet really makes a difference!

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 31, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2JhZLgU_ak

I don't understand how/why people do this sort of thing! I can't stand exposed trails - whether it's hiking, skiing or mountain biking…

Aug. 14, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

so with some of the talk about Indian Arm trips i decided to go on a bit of an adventure yesterday

mamquam

at the head of indian arm looking south towards deep cove

at the head of indian arm looking north to squamish

time to see what the big truck can do

norton lake
]

happy day

and some vid coming back out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-NaWnJB1EM

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 14, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

Nice pics Syncro! that makes me happy.

I'd like to share yesterdays experience with you all.

I went up Kings peak yesterday with some friends, and it turned into a sobering experience I'll never forget. As we were coming back down from the summit a lone orange dot near the top of Kings peak north ridge cliff caught my eye. We were on the north west side of queens peak ridge probably 1 Km away from the north ridge of Kings. The ridge the guy was on is probably a good 100M - 150M high and he was within I'd say 10 M of the top. My first thought was "Oh cool there's people climbing up over there that's awesome."

So I wait and watch for a while and the guy wasn't really moving anywhere and I couldn't see his climbing partner. Then just as I start to clue in to what's happening he must have seen us and started yelling. At first I thought he was yelling at his climbing partner but weren't sure, then we hear it. "Help! S.O.S Help!" Our hearts sank, this guys completely fucked. We quickly call Search and Rescue because to our disbelief we had spotty cell coverage at the spot we were at. Cant get through to SAR, call 911 and get through explain our situation to the best of our abilities and they say OK someone will call you shortly stay where you are. Now 15 Minutes have elapsed since we called 911 and still no phone call, the guy is still periodically yelling for help clearly in shock and distress, we've repeatedly tried to yell back to him that we are helping they are coming but we don't think he can hear us because of the way the wind was blowing or perhaps the other cliffs are bouncing our echoes. The wind stopped shortly after and we all heard him yell "I think my friend is dead" We then called 911 again gave them an update on whats going on and told them we had to head down now for our own safety as we did not want to hike 5 hours out in the darkness and there really wasn't much more we could have done. We finally were able to communicate with the stuck climber that help was on the way by yelling as loud as we possibly could and one word at a time. We hear back a quiet "Thank you" and we made our way off the ridge back into shade and down off the mountain.

It was probably two and a half hours after we called that we heard the first helicopter approach to do a reconnaissance flight of the situation. I have just found out from the RCMP that phoned me they did get the stuck climber off the mountain later that day, so at least he's safe, but his friend not so much.

I feel really terrible for this poor guy and what he had to live through and now undoubtedly the guilt and pain he has to live with for the rest of his life, even worse the family of his fallen friend. It's a terrible feeling hearing such distress calls, being right there, so close yet so far and completely helpless. Makes me think how we all say it won't happen to me, accidents happen to other people who are careless… How do you rationalize the risks we take for fun? I like to tell myself "Hey at least he died doing what he loved and not at work or some other stupid reason to die." Is it worth it to continue doing what I'm doing? I never want to put my friend and family, or even complete strangers through that type of an ordeal..

Heavy stuff. Im also torn on the appropriateness of posting the pictures from the hike before all of this went down I think I'm going to because it's probably now my [GVIDEO]favourite[/GVIDEO] mountain views and hiking I've done on the island and I don't think it would be disrespectful of me to post them up. Maybe this post was more for me to help understand than for you to hear.

Stay safe out there folks, and tell everyone you love them.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 14, 2016, 2:12 p.m.

I went up Kings peak yesterday with some friends, and it turned into a sobering experience I'll never forget. As we were coming back down from the summit a lone orange dot near the top of Kings peak north ridge cliff caught my eye. We were on the north west side of queens peak ridge probably 1 Km away from the north ridge of Kings. The ridge the guy was on is probably a good 100M - 150M high and he was within I'd say 10 M of the top. My first thought was "Oh cool there's people climbing up over there that's awesome."

So I wait and watch for a while and the guy wasn't really moving anywhere and I couldn't see his climbing partner. Then just as I start to clue in to what's happening he must have seen us and started yelling. At first I thought he was yelling at his climbing partner but weren't sure, then we hear it. "Help! S.O.S Help!" Our hearts sank, this guys completely fucked. We quickly call Search and Rescue because to our disbelief we had spotty cell coverage at the spot we were at. Cant get through to SAR, call 911 and get through explain our situation to the best of our abilities and they say OK someone will call you shortly stay where you are. Now 15 Minutes have elapsed since we called 911 and still no phone call, the guy is still periodically yelling for help clearly in shock and distress, we've repeatedly tried to yell back to him that we are helping they are coming but we don't think he can hear us because of the way the wind was blowing or perhaps the other cliffs are bouncing our echoes. The wind stopped shortly after and we all heard him yell "I think my friend is dead" We then called 911 again gave them an update on whats going on and told them we had to head down now for our own safety as we did not want to hike 5 hours out in the darkness and there really wasn't much more we could have done. We finally were able to communicate with the stuck climber that help was on the way by yelling as loud as we possibly could and one word at a time. We hear back a quiet "Thank you" and we made our way off the ridge back into shade and down off the mountain.

It was probably two and a half hours after we called that we heard the first helicopter approach to do a reconnaissance flight of the situation. I have just found out from the RCMP that phoned me they did get the stuck climber off the mountain later that day, so at least he's safe, but his friend not so much.

I feel really terrible for this poor guy and what he had to live through and now undoubtedly the guilt and pain he has to live with for the rest of his life, even worse the family of his fallen friend. It's a terrible feeling hearing such distress calls, being right there, so close yet so far and completely helpless. Makes me think how we all say it won't happen to me, accidents happen to other people who are careless… How do you rationalize the risks we take for fun? I like to tell myself "Hey at least he died doing what he loved and not at work or some other stupid reason to die." Is it worth it to continue doing what I'm doing? I never want to put my friend and family, or even complete strangers through that type of an ordeal..

Heavy stuff. Im also torn on the appropriateness of posting the pictures from the hike before all of this went down I think I'm going to because it's probably now my [GVIDEO]favourite[/GVIDEO] mountain views and hiking I've done on the island and I don't think it would be disrespectful of me to post them up. Maybe this post was more for me to help understand than for you to hear.

replied to you somewhere else aw…

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 14, 2016, 2:48 p.m.

My Buddy heading up on the back side of Queens, That's Colonel Foster on the right.

Heading up the back side of Kings, you can make out my buddy middle left.

Queens peak as seen from Kings, Looking towards Gold River

Made it. Colonel Foster again and Berg lake.

Looking towards Campbell River

More from the summit.

Elkhorn in the foreground, The Golden Hinde in the back, the two tallest peaks on the island.

Coming back down, and then shortly after is when we saw the climber in distress.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:25 p.m.

Heavy stuff. Im also torn on the appropriateness of posting the pictures from the hike before all of this went down I think I'm going to because it's probably now my mountain views and hiking I've done on the island and I don't think it would be disrespectful of me to post them up. Maybe this post was more for me to help understand than for you to hear.

Kings is probably the most rewarding easy (nice trail) day hike on the island in terms of views. Good thing you spotted buddy in distress and investigated and didn’t just push on past. There is usually enough cell coverage on the higher central island peaks to at least get a text out from the summit, but I will be picking up a PLB soon.

Accidents can happen to anyone anywhere. I’ve definitely dialled down the risk factor the last little while having had a few close calls myself, both on my bike and in the mountains a number of years ago. I take every step possible to minimize and manage the risk including proper route planning, the appropriate gear, experience, right weather, etc. and if you get over your head turn around. Still I could make a mistake, but I’d rather not sit on my butt the rest of my life afraid to leave the confines of my home. Know your limit, play within it.

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:28 p.m.

Nice pics of Kings Pk Adam West.

I managed to get out for a quick one nighter, sadly back to class on Monday in North Van, fortunately only two weeks left!

Summit day 1 - Marble Peak.

Not a bad view.

Buttle lake.

Destination day 2 - Mount McBride.

Morrison Spire. Summited it about 7 years ago in my first trip to the meadows.

Golden Hinde.

Nice view.

Rule #1. Get home safe.

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:40 p.m.

You did Marble peak and Mcbride in a single overnighter?!? did you start at Phillips creek?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:52 p.m.

You did Marble peak and Mcbride in a single overnighter?!? did you start at Phillips creek?

Left CR day 1 arrived back in CR day 2. I was surprised my knees held up seeing I have not done any hiking since May long when I did my right knee cap in, then did my left knee in a month ago on the bike. Couldn’t have done it without poles, they make a big difference when doing lots of up and down.

Aug. 14, 2016, 7:18 p.m.

Stunning photos. Thanks for sharing. :)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells