Electricians

Sept. 1, 2015, 7:09 p.m.

Who do you think is fixing HVAC units on hot days on the roof when the A/C isn't working. That's after packing all your tools and gear up stairs [HTML_REMOVED] thru a roof hatch. It's not an easy job, that's for sure.

I love emptying my van onto a roof.

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

Any sparky only making 31 bucks an hour needs to find a new job.

Well a job like working for Fraser Health is kinda like a retirement job. Using the experience you have gotten on jobs while you were younger. Making a lower wage is a trade-off for a slower pace [HTML_REMOVED] maybe better benefits. eg; Canada Post was recently looking for Millwrights for their new mail sorting plant at YVR, but only paying just over 28 an hour. It would be a govt. job with a slower pace [HTML_REMOVED] prolly a good pension. Like I said…trade-offs.

Thread killer

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:30 p.m.

biggest problem with trades in this province is lack of schools for apprentices to go to get their skills to advance in a trade . we have 2 apprentice machinists and 2 fabricator apprentices and where looking to add a millwright to the mix , but schooling for that is not open till sometime in 2017 . i really feel for those who have to uproot their lives for several months in certain trades and travel from up north to do their training in the mainland .

as for trades , tough call i have been in the machinist trade since the 80,s , and if i was starting over not sure what direction i would go . i can say this computer skills are huge assets . i have very little in that area as i spent 25+yrs of in the trade as a manual machinist and i now work exclusively with CNC,s and use a computer daily .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

Yeah I've heard about the waiting lists. With these jobs being so high in demand you would think they would be trying to get more people into these classrooms.

www.natooke.com

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

Well a job like working for Fraser Health is kinda like a retirement job. Using the experience you have gotten on jobs while you were younger. Making a lower wage is a trade-off for a slower pace [HTML_REMOVED] maybe better benefits. eg; Canada Post was recently looking for Millwrights for their new mail sorting plant at YVR, but only paying just over 28 an hour. It would be a govt. job with a slower pace [HTML_REMOVED] prolly a good pension. Like I said…trade-offs.

School district…that's going to be my retirement job.

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

Yup … gummit trades positions is often old guys earning a good pension, health and dental, 35 hour a week with the option of overtime and 7 weeks paid vacation a year.

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:58 p.m.

Yeah I've heard about the waiting lists. With these jobs being so high in demand you would think they would be trying to get more people into these classrooms.

Well, that's what Christie promised before the election …

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10 p.m.

Like you say, it sucks for a guy outta town to come down to the lower mainland for a course. Quite often the guy gets laid off during the length of the course [HTML_REMOVED] has to apply for EI, so is without money for awhile, and has to find lodging while he's here. Add to the fact that some companies string you along promising to send you to school with no intention of ever doing so. Fast forward a few years [HTML_REMOVED] when you bitch enough they let you go. You wasted a few years on a lame promise. These are well paid jobs that do alot to support the economy. The liberals could be doing so much more for the apprenticeship program. Random thoughts.

Thread killer

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:07 p.m.

Yup … gummit trades positions is often old guys earning a good pension, health and dental, 35 hour a week with the option of overtime and 7 weeks paid vacation a year.

Well you don't start off with 7 weeks holidays. Most likely start with 3 weeks [HTML_REMOVED] after 20 plus years it would be around 7 weeks. Alot of places have a 37 1/2 hour week. That's 5 days a week of 7 1/2 hour days (no lunch breaks). As far as overtime goes, I say it's good. You're spending more time at work away from your family [HTML_REMOVED] hobbies, they should pay you more. You still have to be there to get it. The good pensions like PSPP are all employee funded. No one is giving you anything…it's all earned.

Thread killer

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:38 p.m.

Well I'll at least be able to fund myself through the pre app. I won't even bother going to any employers until I have my first year ticket May even be able to qualify for dependents grant on the tuition but even without that we'll be ok.

Can anyone tell me about any pre-reqs I could start studying in advance? I've been brushing up on my math for the last couple of months with a GED math app. Anything else?

I've also started some little electronics projects at home and got a couple of multi meters that I've been fiddling around with. Mostly little solar generators for charging phones.

www.natooke.com

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:42 p.m.

For reference I'm 33 years old and I have my grade 10 but I know how to work and I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do stuff.

www.natooke.com

Sept. 1, 2015, 11:49 p.m.

IIRC, not too long ago BCIT wasn't even taking more applications for the electrical pre app course. Be prepared to sit on a wait list for a year.

It would be a good idea for you to talk to some companies while you're waiting. You may get a job offer if they have an opening.

Do some research on the electrical contractors you come across and talk to people in the industry. Working for a company with a good reputation and knowledgeable journeymen will do a lot for your career.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Sept. 2, 2015, 1:06 a.m.

Who do you think is fixing HVAC units on hot days on the roof when the A/C isn't working. That's after packing all your tools and gear up stairs [HTML_REMOVED] thru a roof hatch. It's not an easy job, that's for sure.

That's the best, especially when you have to lug up your crap on rope's

School district…that's going to be my retirement job.

This just happened for me, landed an nice cushy government job doing HVAC, 3 on 3 off for 2 and 4 on 4 off for 2. Still with in a couple bucks of the UA hourly wage.

Sept. 2, 2015, 2:39 a.m.

How come they don't teach sparkys to clean up their mess? Constantly catch them standing on finished surfaces or using them as work benches aswell.

Side note, on a site I worked some sparky built a super shady extension for his hammer drill to get into the ceiling. The guy used siesmic tie so he could pull down on the fastener to keep it seated on the bit. Something happenned and the wire got caught and wound around the extension and his hand, he accidently kicked out his own ladder. He was dangling from the ceiling, feet kicking freely in the air with siesmic wire tangled around only one finger haha. Poor fucker, at least he was just a little guy or that would have just ripped off.

Sept. 2, 2015, 2:41 a.m.

Sasco and Mott are my favorite electrical / data tel guys to work with.