Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

April 2, 2014, 1:47 p.m.

BC Hydro is well aware of the potential effect, and planning for it!

probably getting contracts in place right now to buy back the power from the US at the bargain price of only double what we sell it to them for :)

But seriously, good on ya for putting your money where your mouth is

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 2, 2014, 1:58 p.m.

So far, I haven't seen a single station in BC that requires payment. I've been told that Ethical Bean in East Van will even give you a free coffee while you wait to charge!

In the US there's a lot more stations that have a cost. Some are free, some have hourly charges (like $1 an hour), some need a monthly membership (typically $20) for unlimited use, and some are pretty pricey (up to $0.49 per kWh!!).

This ^^ and how much does a full charge at home cost?

If / when these are the norm the price will surely go up, I would expect to at least the cost of "home" charging.

So get it while you can but if there are a couple of million ev's on the road it will not remain free.

April 2, 2014, 2:24 p.m.

probably getting contracts in place right now to buy back the power from the US at the bargain price of only double what we sell it to them for :)

I'd say more likely getting ready to develop Site C dam? I'm not sure I like that option. Flooding an entire micro-environment and displacing a few hundred residents in the name of more power generation.

I'd much rather see more/faster development of alternates like wind, solar, tidal. Germany is now above 25% renewable generation and on track to be more than 80% from renewable sources by 2050. Denmark is going further and plans to be 100% renewable energy by 2050. IMO, nothing but excuses and inertia are holding Canada back from doing the same.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 2, 2014, 2:25 p.m.

This ^^ and how much does a full charge at home cost?

About $1.50 per 100 km, at the Tier 1 rate of 7.5 cents per kWh.

April 2, 2014, 3:10 p.m.

Ken, do you live in a house or condo? I'm curious how people are dealing with charging at home if you park in a parkade. You'd obviously need a separate meter for your charging station so the strata doesn't bitch about paying your electrical bill. Don't see how it could easily be hooked up with the meter for my unit which is many floors up from the parkade.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

April 2, 2014, 3:22 p.m.

IIRC, only BC Hydro has the rights to sell power. So if a building or business wants to charge for the use of their charger, they have to do so by charging you to park in that spot. Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

More and more buildings are having chargers installed so I'm sure it won't be too long before they are everywhere.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

April 2, 2014, 3:42 p.m.

Ken, do you live in a house or condo? I'm curious how people are dealing with charging at home if you park in a parkade. You'd obviously need a separate meter for your charging station so the strata doesn't bitch about paying your electrical bill. Don't see how it could easily be hooked up with the meter for my unit which is many floors up from the parkade.

The condo parkade I rent in downtown has installed 3 EV charging slots. My colleague (who also owns a Tesla) lives in a different condo and his strata installed 2 or 3 charging slots. I know that two is not a trend, but it seems like some buildings are already getting ahead of this curve.

April 2, 2014, 3:46 p.m.

my big question is still going to be where is all the electricity going to come from if everyone is running ev's?

before cars went popular they sold the fuel at the drug store

April 2, 2014, 3:49 p.m.

IIRC, only BC Hydro has the rights to sell power. So if a building or business wants to charge for the use of their charger, they have to do so by charging you to park in that spot. Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

More and more buildings are having chargers installed so I'm sure it won't be too long before they are everywhere.

Yeah, hydro is a regulated utility and there aren't tariffs in place that allow for the resale of power. So that combined with the fact that cities are trying put incentives in place means that the power itself HAS to be free right now.

That will eventually change as economics starts to drive the business model of charging stations more, but for now EV drivers get a nice bonus.

April 2, 2014, 3:50 p.m.

One thing I'm following very closely is the cost of solar. Believe it or not, you CAN get significant output from a solar array in our area. The cost is simply not worth it yet - you'd need about 15-20 years to pay back the cost of installing - but today's price of solar is about 1/3 what it was 5-8 years ago. Energy density is going way up and cost/kW going down FAST. I might just pull the trigger in a couple of years. With net metering, it becomes a revenue generator.

you guys are on a similar latitude than we here in (southern) germany. and we have a lot of solar. everyone who can calculate has them on their roof by now (subsidized by the majority).

April 2, 2014, 3:53 p.m.

Do you think this will remain free? I have to think at some point once it becomes more mainstream and the demand for charging stations rises, whoever is supplying power isn't going to be doing it for free. As those EV stations begin to be busy all the time your choices will become more limited as well.

I just see all the free charging stations around these days as being the "free introductory offer" when you sign up. Sooner or later, the free ride is going to end and I'm curious how it's going to work.

i think this will change in the future. there will be so much more electrical power avaiable so cars will become buffer stations to cope with that. and you won't pay anymore by the kw/h but just pay the provider a flat fee for connecting to the network, similar to the internet today…

April 2, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

House.

I think BC Hydro has some incentives, LiveSmart BC had incentives up to $4500, but that program may be done now. BC Hydro will (again, I think) install a separate metered service for EV charging in multi unit buildings, but bottom line you can expect to spend about 10-12 grand for the install.

I've heard that some buildings install the charging, then charge a monthly fee for residents that want to use it to offset cost. Access can be controlled by swipe cards. Of course, you'd probably need to have a few residents on board before this would pass.

April 2, 2014, 4 p.m.

Yeah, hydro is a regulated utility and there aren't tariffs in place that allow for the resale of power. So that combined with the fact that cities are trying put incentives in place means that the power itself HAS to be free right now.

That will eventually change as economics starts to drive the business model of charging stations more, but for now EV drivers get a nice bonus.

But, charging an hourly rate to use the equipment would be an easy way around this.

April 2, 2014, 5:02 p.m.

To Whiz and back without stopping would be unlikely. But there are four EV spots in Day lot 1 (the good one!) so if you're going up to ski for the day you're golden. Lots of charging in Squamish, including a couple of fast chargers, so if you can handle stopping for coffee on the way up you'll make it. Tesla will be opening up their first supercharger station in Canada mid-May. Garibaldi village area - you know, the plaza with Can Tire, Starbux, Tanatalus bikes, etc.

Tesla is building a charging station in Squamish

http://squamish.ca/business-and-development/home-land-and-property-development/development-and-project-showcase/delegated-application-list/tesla-motors-inc.-dp-40147-glenalder-place/

City Hall offers EV charging
http://squamish.ca/our-services/environment-and-sustainability/electric-vehicle-charging-stations/

I didn't realize that many of the charging stations were free. I saw some pay charging stations installed at the strip mall at the bottom of Byrne and SE Marine, was curious of the costing. I guess the only shitty thing would be going to the mall, you need to charge, and someone else is parked in that spot.

April 2, 2014, 5:58 p.m.

before cars went popular they sold the fuel at the drug store

it's the generation and distribution of that power, our current system is not set up to meet the potential demand.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer