Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Dec. 1, 2021, 2:41 p.m.

Musk is reported to have sold some $5 billion of his Tesla stock. Assuming it is all subject to taxation, poor Elon might end up paying as much as $2.04 billion in taxes on this transaction. If the entire $5 billion is considered long term capital gain, he could pay much less, $1.19 billion. Then there may be loopholes he can take advantage of such as donating money and wiping out at least part of the tax.

Additionally, Musk’s $5 billion transaction occurred after he moved from California to Texas, a state that does not impose individual incomes taxes. With this move, he will presumably avoid having to pay what could have been over $660 million in state income taxes to California.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/12/01/tax-consequences-of-bezos-donating-100-million-and-musk-selling-stock-worth-5-billion/print/

Dec. 2, 2021, 10:53 p.m.

Dec. 3, 2021, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Ride.DMC

My wife and I bought an EV back in August. Been driving it daily ever since and it's been great. Had some range anxiety at first, but we've learned that it's not really an issue if we just use it for commuting and running errands.

Our current schedule is to drive it all week, plug it in Friday after work and let it charge over the weekend. We unplug to go to the beer store or get groceries, which actually uses almost no range because of the regenerative braking.

Then we unplug Monday morning and start the process over.

We only have level 1 charging at home so it takes the whole weekend to get to 95% - 100% charge, but that is more than enough to get us through the week, without having to top-off.

It's been about 3 months and I haven't noticed any difference on my hydro bill. I have noticed a huge savings in gas costs though... Our second vehicle is a Ram 1500, and not using it for errands has really helped extend how long a tank of gas lasts me.

why not plug it in every night?

Indeed, why not?

I believe I read or was told that it is best for the battery if you actually use it, but don't keep it above 80% charge or below 10% charge for extended periods.  By charging it to near capacity once per week we accomplish this.  But mainly it's habitual - I don't top up my truck with gas each night, I usually fill it, and then drive until I am below a quarter tank and just fill it up again.  I'm able to do the same thing with a level 1 charger at home, so that is what I do.

Like I said, we are over the whole 'range anxiety' thing.  It's just not an issue for us.

Dec. 4, 2021, 2:35 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: Sethimus

My wife and I bought an EV back in August. Been driving it daily ever since and it's been great. Had some range anxiety at first, but we've learned that it's not really an issue if we just use it for commuting and running errands.

Our current schedule is to drive it all week, plug it in Friday after work and let it charge over the weekend. We unplug to go to the beer store or get groceries, which actually uses almost no range because of the regenerative braking.

Then we unplug Monday morning and start the process over.

We only have level 1 charging at home so it takes the whole weekend to get to 95% - 100% charge, but that is more than enough to get us through the week, without having to top-off.

It's been about 3 months and I haven't noticed any difference on my hydro bill. I have noticed a huge savings in gas costs though... Our second vehicle is a Ram 1500, and not using it for errands has really helped extend how long a tank of gas lasts me.

why not plug it in every night?

Indeed, why not?

I believe I read or was told that it is best for the battery if you actually use it, but don't keep it above 80% charge or below 10% charge for extended periods.  By charging it to near capacity once per week we accomplish this.  But mainly it's habitual - I don't top up my truck with gas each night, I usually fill it, and then drive until I am below a quarter tank and just fill it up again.  I'm able to do the same thing with a level 1 charger at home, so that is what I do.

Like I said, we are over the whole 'range anxiety' thing.  It's just not an issue for us.

just set the charging limit to 80%?

Dec. 4, 2021, 3:20 p.m.

I don't even know if that is possible with our vehicle, and like I said, charging it over the weekend works for us.  But if you're the type that wants to plug in over night, fill your boots.

Dec. 4, 2021, 5:07 p.m.

I plug my Bolt in overnight when it's cold out so  it's running off the charger when I warm it up in the morning before driving. Those heaters take a lot of juice! I also set the max charge to 80% unless I'm going on a long trip.

Dec. 4, 2021, 5:36 p.m.

https://nikolamotor.com/badger

Looks like a bunch if companies are getting funding and looking have a shot in the market. See in the next few years what actually gets manufactured.

Last edited by: bux-bux on Dec. 4, 2021, 5:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 4, 2021, 7:16 p.m.

That's a sweet theory. Id buy one if the logistics lineup. In my part of the world I doubt they will

Dec. 4, 2021, 7:45 p.m.

i think one should look 3 years down the road and ask themselves whom will have their shit together  at that point ?

Other than my local Ford whom has announced an E truck  I can't see anybody with a dealer structure to support a new EV truck all across Canada in 300 small towns ?

and there needs to be more charging infrastructure

Dec. 5, 2021, 1:16 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

https://nikolamotor.com/badger

Looks like a bunch if companies are getting funding and looking have a shot in the market. See in the next few years what actually gets manufactured.

300 miles on 8kg of hydrogen sounds impressive.

I inquired at the Honda dealer why in Canada we don't have the CR-V hybrid - it sells a lot and gets 50mpg in the city.  They said it was built for the California market to help reach the average vehicle mile per gallon law.  Honda skipped diesel in North America because they weren't the hybrid route, and are more planning to go heavily into EV in the next 5 years.

I expect this is true for a lot, if not all, of the auto manufactures.  Just look at a what Mercedes is doing.

Dec. 5, 2021, 1:22 a.m.

i thought we are over fool cells by now? where is all that green hydrogen coming from? and why would you waste so much energy when you could just put it in a battery instead?

Dec. 6, 2021, 9:31 p.m.

https://youtu.be/lSD_vpfikbE

Dec. 6, 2021, 10:30 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

i think one should look 3 years down the road and ask themselves whom will have their shit together  at that point ?

Other than my local Ford whom has announced an E truck  I can't see anybody with a dealer structure to support a new EV truck all across Canada in 300 small towns ?

and there needs to be more charging infrastructure

I have no experience driving an electric car, but I wonder how many charging stations it really takes for a long trip? 

I mean Kamloops is about the furthest I drive when I'm home in Van. 400km (250 miles), takes 5-6 hours straight one shot. Pretty much any EV can make that. Just charge up on the 110v at your buddy's house at the destination? Give them some compensation for cranking up the electric bill a bit. Is it that simple?

Dec. 7, 2021, 12:26 a.m.

Base models likely won't make it on a single charge.  You can stop in Hope and spend 20 or 30 minutes adding some charge.

More expensive models of the Teslas, like in the model 3 and S, have quite a bit longer range and should make the trip regardless of season.

Dec. 7, 2021, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten