Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

June 11, 2021, 8:08 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: XXX_er

10 yars ago Ford got out of the small PU business when the Ranger product went sunset, the assemby line was long paid for but apparently the old Ranger could no longer pass the safety yada so Ford were just going to cash in on the F-150 as I remember with no plans for a Ranger follow onbut 10 years later they got another Ranger in the midsized line, I guess midsized Tacoma was eating too much of their breakfast

and now an even smaller truck the maverick is suprising

I tried to buy a used maverick back in the day but every single one was rusted right in front of the hood hinges ... pass

Didn't the reason small pickup trucks went away have something to do with emissions standards?

Like they were too small to be classified as trucks but polluted too much for the standards placed on cars?

Duno about that anecdote ^^ my neighbor was the Ford dealer so he said something about emissions but the 4L V6 in my Ranger was the ultimate in low tech, it only put out 200 hp so it always ran exactly the same and never needed any repair, at the time only 19000 ish for a new 2010 4x4 excab PU, great deal/great truck

June 11, 2021, 10:06 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Is this desirable in places where the power comes from coal/nuklear?

Imo where source power is dirty hybrids remain the best compromise.

Wrong.

June 12, 2021, 7:29 a.m.

“Best” how?

June 12, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Wrong.

Then tell us what is right your highness.

“Best” how?

I mis-spoke. I should have said "least worst".

In that locale where renewables can't provide enough juice year round, maybe better to double the fuel effciency of all vehicles rather than mine/burn more urainium/coal.

Take Minnesota...please....

Solar is seasonal... https://solar.maps.umn.edu/app/

Wind... https://mn.gov/commerce-stat/pdfs/100-meter-wind-speed.pdf

So if all vehicles are electrified where does all that extra juice come from, while powering the rest of the state?

Last edited by: tungsten on June 13, 2021, 7:18 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
June 13, 2021, 1:41 p.m.

Oh yeah, the impact will vary wildly based on use and energy source. 

I think we’ve just all jumped on fossil fuels ‘cause they’re cheap, safe and energy dense. Now we’re trying to switch but trying to choose something economic AND lower impact and finding that a one-size-fits all solution isn’t appropriate. 

Bottom line will be the bottom line though, and it’s not the consumers bottom line that makes the choice when it comes to energy and vehicles. 

We’ll get what vehicle and energy companies want us to get.

June 14, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

even with 100% renewable power source hybrids are dirty

June 14, 2021, 12:38 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

even with 100% renewable power source hybrids are dirty

In reality there is no such thing as 100% renewable power for modern humanity - every source of power has some sort of enviro cost attached to it.

The goal needs to be on finding a solution that gives us what we need at the lowest net environmental cost possible.

June 14, 2021, 12:59 p.m.

Wrong.

Then tell us what is right your highness.

If you actually care to look at the research that has been done and published many times over ... even in jurisdictions where most or all of the electric power is fossil fuel derived, EVs are still better than anything that burns petroleum fuel. That's because the EV is more than 90% efficient, while gas cars are, at best, 25% efficient. Fossil fuel power plants are much more efficient than internal combustion cars.

I'm not going to do your research, but stop spouting bullshit.

Last edited by: KenN on June 14, 2021, 1 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 14, 2021, 2:08 p.m.

Fossil fuel power plants are much more efficient than internal combustion cars.

Point taken. 

internal combustion cars

Which ones? See below.

the EV is more than 90% efficient,

You're including lithium extraction/disposal in that assertion?

gas cars are, at best, 25% efficient.

Including hybrids? Mine gets double my old Civic so it 50% efficient.

Extracting more coal and building more burners is really the best interm plan? Why not mandate hybrid tech that can be converted pure electric when other energy sources are perfected?

stop spouting bullshit

Pfffffffffft!

Last edited by: tungsten on June 14, 2021, 4:20 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 15, 2021, 8:30 a.m.

Not really worth engaging with someone whose math and science knowledge wouldn't keep up with my third grade kid's level.

June 15, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

Seems a bit premature to say that we know what the impact of EV’s will be as they’re even widely used yet, many of the impact will vary significantly based on adoption rates, fuel source etc and we STILL haven’t priced in most of the externalities WRT the environmental impact of fossil fuels.

June 15, 2021, 12:51 p.m.

Not really worth engaging with someone whose math and science knowledge wouldn't keep up with my third grade kid's level.

Ah c'mon man, tell us why it makes sense to coup any country we want, fight wars over or steal lithium and burn more coal and nukes just so you can make money on those slumping Tesla stocks you hoarding.

June 15, 2021, 1:40 p.m.

The language that you choose clearly indicates that you have all the answers, and aren't interested in learning anything, so why would I waste my time?

You clearly don't have the slightest clue how lithium is extracted, nor where it is extracted from. If you truly give a shit, find some better information and avoid your shitty little conspiracy sites. Try https://www.ucsusa.org/ for a start. I'm not doing any work for your intellectually lazy ass.

Last edited by: KenN on June 15, 2021, 1:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 15, 2021, 11:55 p.m.

where it is extracted from. 

Aug. 17, 2021, 10:26 a.m.

nor where it is extracted from. I

Unicorns and rainbows for KenN.....

https://fpif.org/scraping-the-bottom-of-the-sea/

Cdn content.

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 17, 2021, 10:28 a.m., edited 2 times in total.