Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

June 9, 2021, 10:55 a.m.

If I go to the center of civilization ( mall with a  bank,  food store, Lordco and a BCLDB ) the most popular trucks are 4 door with a short box/ box cover that never carries anything.

At 20K think Ford will sell lotsa them

June 9, 2021, 11:25 a.m.

Ain't no truck. Got a frame? It suv w/hole in back.

June 9, 2021, 11:25 a.m.

Yeah they will sell tons of them. City pickup trucks. Its basically a Bronco Sport with a bed, hybrid engine and FWD (base).

June 9, 2021, 12:14 p.m.

10 yars ago Ford got out of the small PU business when the Ranger product went sunset, the assemby line was long paid for but apparently the old Ranger could no longer pass the safety yada so Ford were just going to cash in on the F-150 as I remember with no plans for a Ranger follow onbut 10 years later they got another Ranger in the midsized line, I guess midsized Tacoma was eating too much of their breakfast

and now an even smaller truck the maverick is suprising

I tried to buy a used maverick back in the day but every single one was rusted right in front of the hood hinges ... pass

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 9, 2021, 12:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 9, 2021, 6:16 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Ford Maverick.  $20K (USD) base price.  40 mpg (US gallons).

Priced one out how I'd have it, just shy of $40k for an XLT. Not a good deal for me when it compromises on everything I want in a truck.  

The base model FWD hybrid version is a hell of a deal though, pretty sure it's cheaper than a Corolla hybrid.

June 9, 2021, 11:40 p.m.

At 40k I'd just get a Leaf or Bolt for errands/commuting and roll c0al for pleasure.

June 10, 2021, 9:26 a.m.

If Ford can make a hybrid with great mileage this cheap it beg the question why hybrids are not the standard issue for the vast majority of cars sold by now.

June 10, 2021, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

Posted by: switch

Ford Maverick. $20K (USD) base price. 40 mpg (US gallons).

Priced one out how I'd have it, just shy of $40k for an XLT. Not a good deal for me when it compromises on everything I want in a truck.

The base model FWD hybrid version is a hell of a deal though, pretty sure it's cheaper than a Corolla hybrid.

People who are actually looking for pickup trucks (to be used AS pickup trucks), wont be looking at this. Its a city truck, that gets great mileage and has the ability to go to Home Depot on the weekend and pick up a few bags of mulch in the bed without soiling what would otherwise be their small SUV.

Id assume that you'd also find too many compromises in the 'pickups' from Honda (Ridgeline) and the new Santa Cruz from Hyundai. They are targeting a different market.

Last edited by: shoreboy on June 10, 2021, 9:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2021, 10:11 a.m.

Yeah... I can see these selling just about as well as the Ridgeline

June 10, 2021, 12:11 p.m.

IME a whole lot of trucks are not used as trucks even up here where 10 min in any direction puts you out in the country, if you wana see what sells look at what is dropping kids off at the school, what is parked at the food n booze shoppe, in my town its a whole lot of tacomas,short box fords/chevy/dodge.

I did a random P-lot survey at the bluff bike area, of 6 vehicals there were 4 tacoma's 1 full size chev 1small car, any time you go biking there will be more tacoma's than any other vehical

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 10, 2021, 12:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2021, 12:37 p.m.

Any vehicles there?

June 10, 2021, 12:58 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

If Ford can make a hybrid with great mileage this cheap it beg the question why hybrids are not the standard issue for the vast majority of cars sold by now.

I wouldn't buy one because I don't like the idea of having two complicated systems on my vehicle (particularly built by anyone but Toyota) to maintain and repair, and very fuel efficient small engines are good enough to erase the price differential, and it seems to me that they'll be basically obsolete pretty soon as electrics take over.

If there are more customers like me I don't see why anyone would gear up to do hybrids when electrics are about to replace them.  Toyota is all over it because they committed to hybrids early so they're recovering sunk costs at this point.  I assume Ford is tapping into some existing technology to get these to market and is probably preparing to take that truck full electric very quickly.

The more I think about these small trucks the more they make sense.  I have a biggish SUV that takes all the people and things really well, and has the capacity to do serious truck stuff the rare times I need it with a trailer.  My second car will be used around town, but it would be nice if it took toys, tools and dog easily.  Small cheap pickup, 2WD, not major power, but an open bed would fit the bill quite well.

4.5' bed is crazy small though, I don't do side jobs anymore so I don't need a long bed but 5' minimum pls.

June 11, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

10 yars ago Ford got out of the small PU business when the Ranger product went sunset, the assemby line was long paid for but apparently the old Ranger could no longer pass the safety yada so Ford were just going to cash in on the F-150 as I remember with no plans for a Ranger follow onbut 10 years later they got another Ranger in the midsized line, I guess midsized Tacoma was eating too much of their breakfast

and now an even smaller truck the maverick is suprising

I tried to buy a used maverick back in the day but every single one was rusted right in front of the hood hinges ... pass

Didn't the reason small pickup trucks went away have something to do with emissions standards? 

Like they were too small to be classified as trucks but polluted too much for the standards placed on cars?

June 11, 2021, 1:32 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I wouldn't buy one because I don't like the idea of having two complicated systems on my vehicle (particularly built by anyone but Toyota) to maintain and repair, and very fuel efficient small engines are good enough to erase the price differential, and it seems to me that they'll be basically obsolete pretty soon as electrics take over.

If there are more customers like me I don't see why anyone would gear up to do hybrids when electrics are about to replace them.  Toyota is all over it because they committed to hybrids early so they're recovering sunk costs at this point.  I assume Ford is tapping into some existing technology to get these to market and is probably preparing to take that truck full electric very quickly.

The more I think about these small trucks the more they make sense.  I have a biggish SUV that takes all the people and things really well, and has the capacity to do serious truck stuff the rare times I need it with a trailer.  My second car will be used around town, but it would be nice if it took toys, tools and dog easily.  Small cheap pickup, 2WD, not major power, but an open bed would fit the bill quite well.

4.5' bed is crazy small though, I don't do side jobs anymore so I don't need a long bed but 5' minimum pls.

I think the writing is on the wall now and electric is the way to go, but if Ford can make a hybrid this cheap I think all the car manufacturers probably overlooked hybrid tech for the last couple of decades because change is hard.  I get it from a business perspective that pumping money into R&D can take a long time to recover but it just goes to show you how little effort has been put into fighting climate change.

June 11, 2021, 3:38 p.m.

I'd like to know why the mother corp still accepts advertising for gaz guzzling suv/pick-ups?

they'll be basically obsolete pretty soon as electrics take over.

Is this desirable in places where the power comes from coal/nuklear?

Imo where source power is dirty hybrids remain the best compromise.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 11, 2021, 3:52 p.m., edited 2 times in total.