Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

May 28, 2021, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: shoreboy

If the CyberTruck does in fact end up with ~800km range, there is no way you would be able to charge it (from empty to full) overnight on a normal home Level 2 charger. BC Hydro states Level 2 chargers run at 30km/hr. Perhaps someone with real world Level 2 chargers experience can chime in on this number? So if you were out in your CyberTruck driving around all day, picking up drywall and plywood, drag racing F-150 Lightning's, towing 14,000lb trailers and you came home close to empty, you wouldn't even get back to half full with an overnight charge. Again, very few if any people would run into a situation like this, but it is something to consider.

you can have up to 22kw home charger in europe. that would be more than sufficient. they cost around 1200eur, in germany you can get up to 900eur for one from the government.

edit, there are even cheaper ones, this one would nearly free of cost:

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/de_de/evbox-elvi-wallbox-22kw-wlan-bluetooth.html

Im not sure if we can have 3-Phase charging in North America for residential use? You can only run a 22kw charger on 3-Phase power.

May 28, 2021, 11:07 a.m.

If the CyberTruck does in fact end up with ~800km range, there is no way you would be able to charge it (from empty to full) overnight on a normal home Level 2 charger. BC Hydro states Level 2 chargers run at 30km/hr. Perhaps someone with real world Level 2 chargers experience can chime in on this number?  So if you were out in your CyberTruck driving around all day, picking up drywall and plywood, drag racing F-150 Lightning's, towing 14,000lb trailers and you came home close to empty, you wouldn't even get back to half full with an overnight charge. Again, very few if any people would run into a situation like this, but it is something to consider.

Level 2 just means that the 'charger' can supply power at 220-240 VAC. Level 2 runs from 16 amps to 80 amps, so no it is not a fixed 30 km/h. There are a lot of variables because for any given charge rate, the added range will differ depending on the car being charged. Charging efficiency, battery efficiency, motor efficiency and aerodynamics all play a part in how far a car can travel on 1 kWh of energy.

Also, even though it is commonly called a level 2 charger, that is technically not true. The charger (converts AC power to DC at correct voltage) is actually on board the vehicle. A level 2 charger is really just a current regulator. When you plug a charger's cord into an EV, there is initially a communication sequence that occurs. The level 2 unit will send information to the car stating the maximum charge rate it can supply, and the car's on-board charger responds with the maximum charge rate it can accept. There is a negotiation, and the level 2 unit will regulate current to the maximum safe charge rate.

One of Tesla's big advantages is that they have greater overall efficiency that other EVs, and thus they get more km/hr into the battery for the same kWh charge rate as any other EV.

May 28, 2021, 11:11 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

If the CyberTruck does in fact end up with ~800km range, there is no way you would be able to charge it (from empty to full) overnight on a normal home Level 2 charger. BC Hydro states Level 2 chargers run at 30km/hr. Perhaps someone with real world Level 2 chargers experience can chime in on this number? So if you were out in your CyberTruck driving around all day, picking up drywall and plywood, drag racing F-150 Lightning's, towing 14,000lb trailers and you came home close to empty, you wouldn't even get back to half full with an overnight charge. Again, very few if any people would run into a situation like this, but it is something to consider.

you can have up to 22kw home charger in europe. that would be more than sufficient. they cost around 1200eur, in germany you can get up to 900eur for one from the government.

edit, there are even cheaper ones, this one would nearly free of cost:

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/de_de/evbox-elvi-wallbox-22kw-wlan-bluetooth.html

Im not sure if we can have 3-Phase charging in North America for residential use? You can only run a 22kw charger on 3-Phase power.

Most Teslas in North America have 48-amp on board chargers, so maximum charge rate would be 48 amps x 240 volts = 11520 watts, or 11.5 kW. The current largest battery in any Tesla is 100 kWH, so that is a little less than 9 hours from zero to 100%. However, it would be truly rare to run it down to 0%, and generally one only charges to 90%. So in the real world, you're maybe going from 10% to 90% or 80 kWh - 7 hours.

The longest range Cybertruck is anticipated to have a 200 kWh battery (not confirmed, just speculative), so double those numbers.

However, keep in mind that the 250 kWh Tesla superchargers are popping up everywhere (eg., behind the North Van London Drugs), so if one is really in a pinch and needs a quick top up, that will be an option.

Last edited by: KenN on May 28, 2021, 11:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2021, 11:59 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

I think this guy hits the big points ^^ if we are talking reality

F-150 is already the most popular vehical in NA for the last 40+ years, with lots of dealers pretty much one in every small town in America/ Canada.

LOTS of repeat customers, keep in mind the old fucks have the money, guys with their pants pulled up to their tits who can just write out a check for the whole thing

vs

buy the truck that looks like it came outa back to the future from that musk guy at what dealer ?

as for range I can probably get to PG but can I drive to Whitehorse, how about ft st james or Mackenzie ? There has to be enough charging stations and the engineering advanced enough so its not necessary to ask the question and that is coming

I do have leaf-liking friends with EV's they can slow charge at home cuz they walk everywhere or ride their cargo bikes

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 28, 2021, 1:09 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
May 28, 2021, 1:02 p.m.

Even St. Elon knows that he probably can't release the Cyber Truck looking like the prototype and have it sell.

My money is it coming out looking a lot like the Mercedes, just a little bigger.  Soft, rounded, expensive looking and with the bland inoffensive design language of the rest of the Teslas.

My money is also on Ford selling far more of them than basically anyone.  It's a normal truck, based on the most popular vehicle in North America for basically forever, and even people who like the CyberTruck (me) would think twice about having to actually drive one on the daily (also me).

May 28, 2021, 1:30 p.m.

No idea how many bolts hold down a truck box, but if the battery is laid down between frame rails and can be easily removed from the truck; that's whose design wins.

May 28, 2021, 2:31 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Even St. Elon knows that he probably can't release the Cyber Truck looking like the prototype and have it sell.

My money is it coming out looking a lot like the Mercedes, just a little bigger.  Soft, rounded, expensive looking and with the bland inoffensive design language of the rest of the Teslas.

My money is also on Ford selling far more of them than basically anyone.  It's a normal truck, based on the most popular vehicle in North America for basically forever, and even people who like the CyberTruck (me) would think twice about having to actually drive one on the daily (also me).

My speculation is they keep the hard angular lines...they just gotta put it in the drier and shrink it back to human size. Currently it's HUGE. 

I have zero doubt that they'll sell them faster than they can produce them. Watched a soccer mom drop her kids off at the Fromme gate last night in a GM AT4 HD Duramax, big trucks are hip regardless if it ever get's used for 20% of it's potential. 

Elon knows he can't produce anywhere near the daily production numbers of Honda/Toyota/Hyundai so he isn't going to make the next EV Civic/Trecel/Accent. He's taking market share from BMW/MB/Lexus.  We don't need more luxury dick waving about how they can drive 10,000 km in a single charge, we need people to do ALL their small trips in a more conservative way. Having 10,000 km worth of resources for the twice a year trip is wasteful. Our kids are going to need Elon's colony on Mars if we don't get our ducks in a row and properly tackle our use of resources. 

May 28, 2021, 4:05 p.m.

My money is it coming out looking a lot like the Mercedes, just a little bigger. Soft, rounded, expensive looking and with the bland inoffensive design language of the rest of the Teslas.

I gotta be honest I didn't like the way it looked either at first. But then I saw some good footage of one in motion down a highway and I was like ok that's 🔥 it's been almost 3 decades since I saw back to the future II and thr cybertruck lights that fascinated little kid spark in me where thr ford is just...another ford. That isn't a bad thing really I'd just rather have the more exciting option.

At the end of the day both trucks are gonna sell faster than they can make them.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 28, 2021, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2021, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Elon knows he can't produce anywhere near the daily production numbers of Honda/Toyota/Hyundai so he isn't going to make the next EV Civic/Trecel/Accent. He's taking market share from BMW/MB/Lexus.  We don't need more luxury dick waving about how they can drive 10,000 km in a single charge, we need people to do ALL their small trips in a more conservative way. Having 10,000 km worth of resources for the twice a year trip is wasteful. Our kids are going to need Elon's colony on Mars if we don't get our ducks in a row and properly tackle our use of resources. 

It never ceases to amaze me how many people base their vehicle purchases around annual vacation requirements as opposed to regular day to day needs.

May 28, 2021, 4:18 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

retro cyber nerd me totally wants a mini version of this. or a car with similar styling cues.

May 28, 2021, 4:19 p.m.

I recently bought a Chevy bolt EV and I have to say I am Impressed with it. I have always considered most North American vehicles to be crap, but this is changing my mind. It's a well designed platform, and the driving experience is great, especially the single pedal regen braking. If I only drove it to work and back (50 km/day) I could easily keep it charged with the 110V level 1 charger.

May 28, 2021, 4:38 p.m.

How long for full charge w/220?

May 28, 2021, 4:53 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

My money is it coming out looking a lot like the Mercedes, just a little bigger. Soft, rounded, expensive looking and with the bland inoffensive design language of the rest of the Teslas.

I gotta be honest I didn't like the way it looked either at first. But then I saw some good footage of one in motion down a highway and I was like ok that's 🔥 it's been almost 3 decades since I saw back to the future II and thr cybertruck lights that fascinated little kid spark in me where thr ford is just...another ford. That isn't a bad thing really I'd just rather have the more exciting option.

At the end of the day both trucks are gonna sell faster than they can make them.

The seven stages of Cybertruck Acceptance ...

1. Shock

2. Disbelief

3. Huh

4. Well, actually ...

5. It's growing on me

6. I kinda love this!

7. All other trucks are dead to me

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5TIVjEHZ3G/

May 28, 2021, 5:01 p.m.

I agree with the points EarleB made above.  (Too much quoting lately because this forum doesn’t  thread)

I was keen on the design when they debuted the concept, but I already think it’s dated itself.  It doesn’t look modern or futuristic to me.  It looks like a delorean with an eating disorder.

May 28, 2021, 5:10 p.m.

Futuristic vehicle design termed data before it even enters production. 

Film at 11.