Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

May 20, 2021, 12:35 p.m.

Those videos don't really say anything specific to Tesla's electric truck that couldn't be applied to Ford, Rivian, GMC electric trucks.

May 20, 2021, 12:37 p.m.

Rolling coal?  LOL.  I know a lot of guys that drive F-150s that think that is total stupidity.  Where I see this really taking off is truck fleets.  It would be an easy way to promote a green initiative.  But I also think it will attract a lot of regular dudes that can put a charge station in their driveway.  We will see.

May 20, 2021, 12:56 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

But I also think it will attract a lot of regular dudes that can put a charge station in their driveway.  

Why more than 220v 4 overnight?

May 20, 2021, 1:09 p.m.

If one of the big 6 gets a sub $25K (USD) compact or mid sized electric car with minimum 250km range to market before Tesla and can produce it in decent numbers I think Tesla will basically drop off the radar. Whoever produces that car is going to be the automotive leader. The Chevy Bolt and Hyundai Ioniq fit the picture, but the pricing is still a bit high for mainstream adoption considering what can be had for less than that in and ICE vehicle.

May 20, 2021, 1:33 p.m.

Tesla is a status brand, it's never going anywhere no matter what other manufactures bring out. 

A whole lot of urban dudes owning trucks that are secretly jealous of their Tesla owning neighbour are going to have a hard on for this F-150 Lightning. Then they can be a tough truck guy AND "helping" save the environment with their $70,000  EV truck. 

May 20, 2021, 1:38 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: KenN

The average truck owner thinks that coal rolling is really cool and funny. So why would Tesla try to tap that market?

You have a survey to prove this? Demographics to show who the average truck owner is? Have you ever owned a truck yourself? Considering that only about 12% of pickup trucks are diesel it would be a huge misnomer to say that the average truck owner thinks rolling coal is funny.

The real KenN would not have presented such a facile argument. Who is this imposter and what have they done with the real KenN? The NSMB forum police must investigate! Gentleman, prepare the horses, for at dawn we ride!

Have you seen teh TSLA stock tanking? He getting desperate, talking gibberish.

If, by "tanking", you mean shooting up 1000% in a year, then settling in at 20% below peak then sure, it's "tanking".

May 20, 2021, 1:45 p.m.

The average truck owner thinks that coal rolling is really cool and funny. So why would Tesla try to tap that market?

You have a survey to prove this? Demographics to show who the average truck owner is? Have you ever owned a truck yourself? Considering that only about 12% of pickup trucks are diesel it would be a huge misnomer to say that the average truck owner thinks rolling coal is funny.

The real KenN would not have presented such a facile argument. Who is this imposter and what have they done with the real KenN? The NSMB forum police must investigate! Gentleman, prepare the horses, for at dawn we ride!

If, by "tanking", you mean shooting up 1000% in a year, then settling in at 20% below peak then sure, it's "tanking".

Everbody on teh interweb say it going 100. Or south....

May 20, 2021, 1:57 p.m.

Everbody on teh interweb say it going 100. Or south....

Does "everybody" say why it's going to 100? Or are they just throwing out random numbers?

Maybe ask "everybody" why the valuation would drop, when 100% of available production worldwide is sold, including the production two large factories that will be starting operations this year.

The FUD machine is in full force with Tesla, which is why I know it's headed in the right direction.

Funny thing tungsten ... pretty ironic that you would have such a negative view of a company for which first paragraph of their mission statement is "To accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Why are you opposed to this? Do you realize that the FUD machine that publishes articles riddled with false statements about Tesla and Musk is fully financed by oil, gas and IC transportation interests? Is this what you want to see - Tesla bankrupted by the established IC automotive industry?

May 20, 2021, 2:29 p.m.

Does "everybody" say why it's going to 100? Or are they just throwing out random numbers?

Speaking of throwing out random numbers.

The average truck owner thinks that coal rolling is really cool and funny.

May 20, 2021, 2:58 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Tesla is a status brand, it's never going anywhere no matter what other manufactures bring out. 

A whole lot of urban dudes owning trucks that are secretly jealous of their Tesla owning neighbour are going to have a hard on for this F-150 Lightning. Then they can be a tough truck guy AND "helping" save the environment with their $70,000  EV truck. 

Ya, Tesla is like BMW or Mercedes at this point and will always have a market.  They could build a Land Rover Discovery style SUV and make a killing IMO.

The urban dudes will buy one for sure, but the specs are good enough for most of the "rural" dudes if we are being honest.

May 20, 2021, 3:15 p.m.

Ya, Tesla is like BMW or Mercedes at this point and will always have a market.  They could build a Land Rover Discovery style SUV and make a killing IMO.

The urban dudes will buy one for sure, but the specs are good enough for most of the "rural" dudes if we are being honest.

True there will be a market for Tesla, but I think it will remain limited and I think they won't get as much play in the eye of teh avg consumer if they get beat on bringing out the mass market car. It's like everyone knows Ferrari, but for most people it's not all that relevant. Right now Tesla is hugely relevant because they're been the first manufacturer to claim dominance in the EV market and have a huge presence. I think if you ask most people about an EV they will think Tesla. If they can get that sub $25K USD car to market then they have a chance to be a major player in the automotive industry as a whole. If they don't then I think their relevance to the avg consumer will fade from where it is now. I think the next 5 years will determine who becomes the prime player(s) in the EV market.

May 20, 2021, 3:27 p.m.

Ford is taking aim at my pocketbook with the new electric F-150 by making practical XL and XLT models for reasonable money.

Rocket ship electric pickups are great and all, but no way am I buying one car that costs as much as a Hummer, Rivian, Tesla, Bolinger or Lightning and I sure as shit don't need a half-ton that gets to 100 in 4 seconds.

May 20, 2021, 3:47 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Ford is taking aim at my pocketbook with the new electric F-150 by making practical XL and XLT models for reasonable money.

Rocket ship electric pickups are great and all, but no way am I buying one car that costs as much as a Hummer, Rivian, Tesla, Bolinger or Lightning and I sure as shit don't need a half-ton that gets to 100 in 4 seconds.

Sure I guess, if you don't mind adding 2 extra minutes to your Home Depot runs.  Not all of us are made of time.

May 20, 2021, 4:20 p.m.

True there will be a market for Tesla, but I think it will remain limited and I think they won't get as much play in the eye of teh avg consumer if they get beat on bringing out the mass market car. It's like everyone knows Ferrari, but for most people it's not all that relevant. Right now Tesla is hugely relevant because they're been the first manufacturer to claim dominance in the EV market and have a huge presence. I think if you ask most people about an EV they will think Tesla. If they can get that sub $25K USD car to market then they have a chance to be a major player in the automotive industry as a whole. If they don't then I think their relevance to the avg consumer will fade from where it is now. I think the next 5 years will determine who becomes the prime player(s) in the EV market.

Quoted for posterity.

*ahem* 

lol ford. You'll see in six months.

May 20, 2021, 4:21 p.m.

Tesla makes a 20-25% margin on every sale. Every other mfr with an EV model is either close to break-even, or losing money on every EV sale.