Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

May 29, 2019, 10:17 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

FYI that Bolt green colour is tragic.

They had one at the lot.  It gave my eyes diarrhea.

May 29, 2019, 11:07 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I know it looks like a mix of green and yellow highlighter ink, but I cannot lie ... I kind of like it.

Of course, if I owned one that colour, there's a good chance I'd be sick of the colour before a year is up.

May 29, 2019, 7:10 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

I know it looks like a mix of green and yellow highlighter ink, but I cannot lie ... I kind of like it.

Of course, if I owned one that colour, there's a good chance I'd be sick of the colour before a year is up.

I tested that colour at dueck Downtown. Salesman guy said they special ordered two in that colour. One person saw the colour in person and decided it wasn’t them. Now dueck DT has a fulltime Bolt demo car

May 29, 2019, 9:31 p.m.

I am EV curious. Looking around I think I would only be interested in a used one under 17K like a 2016 Chevy Spark EV or 2016 Fiat 500E.

I only drive a few km to work each day but pick up the kid from daycare after work so I need to fit a child seat in the back. On the weekends I travel from PoCo to NV to ride. Our family driving is always in the wife's Prius. The Spark may be preferable as it's 4 door and has Fast DC charge capability although I have never driven either. Anyone have feedback on either of these? Also, can you add a hitch for a bike rack?

Last edited by: coolatt on May 29, 2019, 9:32 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 30, 2019, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

They had one at the lot. It gave my eyes diarrhea.

i love that color. kinda don't mind the styling of the car as well. not over the top e-dorky.

random: is level 2 streetside charging a feasible thing? contemplating the logistics of an ev. have a city lot, no garage. do people install charging dohickeys in their front yards?

Last edited by: xy9ine on May 30, 2019, 11:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 30, 2019, 1:33 p.m.

Ive seen L2 chargers in the fronts of houses but only in areas where they wouldn't be worried about someone elses car being in their spot. You can install them outside, but Id really only do it for your own driveway.

Re possible to have an EV without your own charger? I suppose but I would want to know that I have access to one at work....or that you will have regular and easy access at other convenient locations along your driving route like arena if you play hockey, grocery store, etc.... Otherwise, Id get a non-plug in hybrid. It takes about 1hr to charge for 50km in my experience using a regular L2 with normal voltage and half the time I go to plug in ourside of my own garage the spots are either full or broken. Public L2 charging is not super reliable around town

May 30, 2019, 3:40 p.m.

yeah, not having a guaranteed parking spot beside the box is obviously the biggest logistical hurdle (though we're more often than not fine in our neighborhood). don't think i'd want to deal with trying to keep charged without a home plug however.

May 30, 2019, 4:18 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

random: is level 2 streetside charging a feasible thing? contemplating the logistics of an ev. have a city lot, no garage. do people install charging dohickeys in their front yards?

you must have some form of off street parking, no?

May 31, 2019, 8:55 a.m.

no. converted the existing detached garage into a shop. 

seems there's an innitative to install a few curbside charging stations:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/curbside-electric-vehicle-pilot-program.aspx

May 31, 2019, 9:41 a.m.

And those curbside locations will show up on Flo/Chargepoint/Plugshare Aps and boom, there will always be a car in them. Seems like a great way to make sure that you've got traffic infront of your house! 

Id look to see how I could get a 240V plug to a place where you can reliably park your car. If you can do that, you can L2 charge. Instead of having an installed L2, you can just plug the charger and the car in when you need. You can secure the charger by keeping it under the tire of your car (run it over).

May 31, 2019, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

And those curbside locations will show up on Flo/Chargepoint/Plugshare Aps and boom, there will always be a car in them. Seems like a great way to make sure that you've got traffic infront of your house!

Id look to see how I could get a 240V plug to a place where you can reliably park your car. If you can do that, you can L2 charge. Instead of having an installed L2, you can just plug the charger and the car in when you need. You can secure the charger by keeping it under the tire of your car (run it over).

Getting the 240V to a curbside outlet wouldn't be too hard, but keeping the parking space reserved is the bigger challenge. Of course, depending where the outlet goes, there would be permitting, trenching, electrical inspections, etc. etc. and it would not be cheap, but still doable.

Installing the outlet inside a lockable NEMA 3R box would keep others from effing with it.

Last edited by: KenN on May 31, 2019, 11:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2019, 6:15 p.m.

How does this work? Line under the s/w into pole installed behind curb, parking meter style. Resident pays for install?

Would have to be a private spot or cost would be pretty large.

Last edited by: FLATCH on May 31, 2019, 6:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 21, 2019, 1:58 p.m.

Just your garden variety money grubbing egotistical back stabbing piece of shit worker abusing whore for power "me me me" billionaire.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/elon-musk-is-gaslighting-america/

Boycott Tesla.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 22, 2019, 12:10 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
Dec. 22, 2019, 10:52 a.m.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/20/tesla-trans-canada-supercharger-route-goes-live-all-at-once-mostly-v3-250kw/

Dec. 22, 2019, 12:38 p.m.

Posted by: coolatt

Also, can you add a hitch for a bike rack?

You can to the Hyundia's. Buy Union!

Id look to see how I could get a 240V plug to a place where you can reliably park your car.

Had one installed in garage w/another piped to outside next to garage door in box that takes padlock but I just keep the breaker inside off.

Last edited by: tungsten on Dec. 22, 2019, 12:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.