Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Dec. 26, 2018, 3:17 a.m.

wasn't your grid build for much higher power consumption? here in germany it was before everything got energy efficient, so there should still be some capacities left?

Dec. 26, 2018, 10:12 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

wasn't your grid build for much higher power consumption? here in germany it was before everything got energy efficient, so there should still be some capacities left?

all your capacities belong to us.

Dec. 30, 2018, 3:36 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Well this brings up another issue; increased power consumption. Can the city power grid handle if everyone has an electric car plugged in every day?

First, the very valid point above - that grid loading in urban areas has been affected by more efficient lighting, heating and appliances - is true for Vancouver and many other jurisdictions.

Second, most EV charging is at night, when the grid is very lightly loaded anyway.  Drive during the day, get home, plug in.  Some EVs even allow for scheduling the charge so that, even though they are plugged in, the charging doesn't start until the preset time (eg., midnight).  Still allows for 6+ hours of overnight charging which is usually more than enough time.

Third, as more rooftop solar is installed, grid loading can be offset by lo.cal power generation (admittedly, for Vancouver, this would be a summer only benefit).  So daytime charging drawdown would be augmented by the solar generation.

March 31, 2019, 9:28 p.m.

So we are getting a different EV. The wife has had a Fiat 500e - a compliance car from CA. They’re not expensive and they’re fun and it’s been pretty good, but after two years...we just need something bigger and less of a toy car for our family of 4. It’s our third car but my car stays away winter and isn’t really a usable car any other time. We have an MDX that’s awesome (our 2nd). So when it’s winter, we really only had the fiat and the MDX... and the fiat isn’t sufficient sometimes, so time to get something new!!! 

An eGolf is on its way for us. What a great little electric car. Priced well too. I’m hoping that the new federal incentive is put in place soon because that’ll be another cool $5k off plus an existing $5k from BC....nice discount warrants buying new. Timing might be tricky but I’ll delay delivery if I have to. 

Does anyone have info about the timing of that federal rebate?

April 1, 2019, 8:24 a.m.

There's been no specific time as to when the federal rebate will be available other than "sometime in 2019" . There are restrictions with regards to the price of the vehicle.

You can also get a $750 rebate on the installation of a charging connection at your home.

Last edited by: switch on April 1, 2019, 8:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 1, 2019, 8:45 a.m.

I think the vehicle restriction that I read was 'below $45,000 base price'. Thats the key, as there are a few cars (eGolf included) that will easily go above this threshold as soon as you add a couple of options (like $3000 for any non-stock paint).

Last edited by: shoreboy on April 1, 2019, 8:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 1, 2019, 8:49 a.m.

Yah, Feds have been very cagey about releasing details. Nobody seems to know when the program will start, and if there will be a retroactive application once it's finalized. The federal fiscal year runs from April 1 through March 31, so it could mean the program will be applied to cars purchased today or later once they roll it out.  All we know is that there is a set sum of money set aside in the budget in support of the program. Also, it might not be a true rebate, but rather a tax credit - which reduces your federal income tax payable by $5k - but if you're one of those people who pays less than $5k total federal tax, then you wouldn't get the full credit.

Be careful with your build of the eGolf if you want to claim the credit. They have some fairly expensive options, like $3k for some of the paint colours and $4-5k for packages, which can drive your base $37k sticker price up really quickly past the $45k ceiling to qualify for the federal credit.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Last edited by: KenN on April 1, 2019, 8:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 1, 2019, 10:20 a.m.

Yeah Im getting a base build. $37k msrp standard color (a gray metallic that I like a lot) plus leatherette and called it at that. If I get the Provincial and Federal credit, that's $28ish k plus all the incidentals for a 2019 eGolf - no brainer in my mind. Part of that was to make sure Im way below the $45k limit but the other part is that I didn't want to spend the bucks. That said, that virtual cockpit coupled with the tech package is super cool! But no, standard car has apple car play and that's good enough.

The other car the wife liked was the i3 - but new ones are dumb money all things considered and the used ones have crap battery size - lower range than my Fiat - and barely more range for one with the Range Extender - for the same or even more money than the new eGolf. No thanks!

We put 20k per year on in the Fiat...The MDX gets on average 8.5km per L at $1.50 or so average per L so that's $7,000 of gas saved less the $800 in electricity we have paid to run it.....$6k in the pocket considering only fuel and assuming everything else is the same. Not sure that that rationale makes it worth paying the premium versus the same car but in gas, but whatever......Id rather pay a bit more now and feel stupid for a few days and then feel like a genius for years every time I drive past a gas station!

Last edited by: Ddean on April 1, 2019, 10:48 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
April 4, 2019, 3:34 p.m.

You dont have to make sure you are below the $45K limit with options.  As long as the BASE price is below $45K, that is all that matters.  Option it out to the top if you want to, you would still get the credit.

April 5, 2019, 10:22 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

You dont have to make sure you are below the $45K limit with options.  As long as the BASE price is below $45K, that is all that matters.  Option it out to the top if you want to, you would still get the credit.

Thanks - didn't know that but the cars already on its way - I found an incoming car in the base spec that we wanted and who's expected owner backed out while it was in transit - should have it in about 3 weeks. 

Ill have a dilemma if the incentive isn't in place by the time it arrives. I can delay delivery for a bit, but not months....if I have visibility that incentives will be months, I would consider not taking delivery of the incoming car and ordering a new one which would take about 5 mos to get here.....If the incentive is getting put in place months down the road, I bet dealers are going to have a tough time selling electric cars, so maybe they'll discount in advance...I don't know.

Im not sure what Ill do if we don't get hard news on the incentives in the near-future.

April 5, 2019, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Thanks - didn't know that but the cars already on its way - I found an incoming car in the base spec that we wanted and who's expected owner backed out while it was in transit - should have it in about 3 weeks. 

Ill have a dilemma if the incentive isn't in place by the time it arrives. I can delay delivery for a bit, but not months....if I have visibility that incentives will be months, I would consider not taking delivery of the incoming car and ordering a new one which would take about 5 mos to get here.....If the incentive is getting put in place months down the road, I bet dealers are going to have a tough time selling electric cars, so maybe they'll discount in advance...I don't know.

Im not sure what Ill do if we don't get hard news on the incentives in the near-future.

Id be surprised if the incentives kick in before the fall.  Given the glacial pace the govt works on things like this, Id be prepared for it not being around if/when your car is delivered in a month.

April 8, 2019, 2:35 p.m.

Really waiting to see when and what this Tesla truck will be out.

April 8, 2019, 2:50 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Really waiting to see when and what this Tesla truck will be out.

Rivian will have their pickup and SUV out next year.  Looks pretty cool.

April 8, 2019, 4:50 p.m.

Rivian will have their pickup and SUV out next year.  Looks pretty cool.

A 4’10” box is hardly a pickup. The SUV is the real star of the lineup. But a SUV no longer works for myself: stacking surfboards on the roof, shoehorning items inside the back, swapping out bike rack, towing a sled trailer.

April 16, 2019, 4:12 p.m.

Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting previously reported that Tesla systemically kept worker injuries off the books, artificially improving its safety record and violating the law on recording workplace injuries. We also showed that Tesla’s medical clinic ignored worker injuries, sending the hurt back to work without proper treatment and helping the company claim publicly that it had improved. Besh said in an interview last year that Tesla doesn’t pressure him to dismiss injuries and that his determinations are “only based on what the patient needs.” 

However, interviews with former clinic employees and internal clinic communications show how Tesla and Besh coordinated behind the scenes in an arrangement that financially benefited both the carmaker and the doctor, to the detriment of the injured. Neither Tesla nor Besh responded to questions for this story.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/teslas-brazen-disregard-for-workers-well-being-revealed/