Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Nov. 27, 2018, 2 p.m.

Here it is ladies and gentlemen.  An all-electric shuttle machine!  I am not a huge fan of the pickup, but the SUV looks pretty sweet.  They won't ship for a couple years.

Automotive startup Rivian unveils an electric truck and SUV

Nov. 27, 2018, 2:28 p.m.

Yep, it looks really well thought out.  I'm not much for that headlight layout, looks like Jetsons smashed into an art deco structure, but everything else looks pretty good.  Hoping they survive through to a production run.

Nov. 27, 2018, 2:39 p.m.

I hope the next time I need a new vehicle that Rivian pick up will be available at a reasonable price and have no bugs. The future is coming.

Nov. 27, 2018, 4:34 p.m.

Interesting read on Tesla's manufacturing and design:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-model-3-design-profits-20181017-story.html

Nov. 27, 2018, 6:25 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Here it is ladies and gentlemen.  An all-electric shuttle machine!  I am not a huge fan of the pickup, but the SUV looks pretty sweet.  They won't ship for a couple years.

an ebike would be way cheaper

Nov. 27, 2018, 9:42 p.m.

Rivian had me up until 4'7" box length. 

Headlights remind myself of the new Land Rovers x11

Nov. 28, 2018, 12:19 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: chupacabra

an ebike would be way cheaper

And in my price range for a new vehicle.  :)

Nov. 28, 2018, 12:44 p.m.

Posted by: switch

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-model-3-design-profits-20181017-story.html

That article is based on out of date information.  Sandy Munro's initial report did say a lot of that stuff, but he was very careful to state that they were very preliminary observations.  His final report came out a couple months later and had a very different position.

Dec. 24, 2018, 6:08 a.m.

cool:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/21/city-of-north-vancouver-requires-ev-charging-capability-in-all-new-residential-parking-spots/

Dec. 24, 2018, 9:21 a.m.

I'm glad someone is thinking forward. Good news.

Dec. 24, 2018, 11 a.m.

this has somewhat  been going on for a while now. most new high rises have been equipped with charging stations, not too sure about single family dwellings or town houses.

Dec. 24, 2018, 1:42 p.m.

Unfortunately, there is no coordination on this.  Each municipality decides how they want to integrate EV charging into their building code.  City of Vancouver has had a requirement that the parking for all new multi-unit residential builds include the capacity for EV charging at 100% of resident parking spaces, and 20% fitted with level 2 chargers.  That means that electrical service for the complex needs to be sized for charging at all spaces, conduit needs to be run so that all spaces can have chargers added, and space provided to allow for fitting of the chargers.  CNV is just catching up to what CoV has had going on for about 2-3 years already.

Now a real forward move would be the Provincial (or even better, Federal) gov't mandating this across the board.

Dec. 24, 2018, 1:52 p.m.

City of Vancouver bylaw 10908 "Specific requirements and revisions to regulate the construction of buildings and to adopt the BC Building code"

10.2.3. Electric Vehicle Charging

10.2.3.1. – Electric Vehicle Charging for Buildings

1) Except as provided by Sentence (2), each storage garage or carport in one-family dwellings,

two-family dwellings, one- or two- family dwellings with secondary suites, and laneway houses

shall be provided with an electrical outlet box wired with a separate branch circuit capable of

supplying 40A at 240 V and labelled to identify its intended use.

2) Where the requirements of Sentence (1) would cause demand load to exceed 200 A, the

installation of a 40 A branch circuit may be omitted if a raceway no less than 21 mm, leading

from the dwelling unit panel board to an electrical outlet box, is installed in the storage garage

or carport and is labelled to identify its intended use.

3) A multi-family building or the multi-family component of a mixed use building with three or

more dwelling units, shall be designed with a receptacle for charging electric vehicles in 20 per

cent of all parking stalls used by owners or occupiers of dwelling units.

4) A commercial building, or the commercial component of a mixed use building, shall be

designed with a receptacle for charging electric vehicles in 10 per cent of all parking stalls.

5) The receptacle required by Sentences (3) and (4) shall be supplied by a separate branch

circuit rated no less than 40 A at the nominal alternating current of 208 V or 240 V as applicable.

10.2.3.2. Electrical Rooms

1) In a multi-family building or the multi-family component of a mixed use building with three

or more dwelling units, an electrical room shall be designed with sufficient space for the future

installation of electrical equipment to support the installation of receptacles, supplied by the 

branch circuits for charging electric vehicles, in all residential parking stalls.”

Dec. 25, 2018, 1:43 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: switch

That article is based on out of date information.  Sandy Munro's initial report did say a lot of that stuff, but he was very careful to state that they were very preliminary observations.  His final report came out a couple months later and had a very different position.

Interesting.

https://youtu.be/FSLTNjGI8hw

Dec. 25, 2018, 2:13 p.m.

Well this brings up another issue; increased power consumption. Can the city power grid handle if everyone has an electric car plugged in every day?