Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

April 10, 2018, 10:41 p.m.

Nissan states that the Leaf will have significant range reduction in very cold weather.  Tesla owners, can in the Tesla owners forum, have shared their lowered mileage experience.

Really cold weather affects internal combustion engines vehicle mileage too; it's not just an electric vehicle phenomenon.

April 12, 2018, 5:37 p.m.

Even with a 50% reduction in range most ev's will still work for most people. 

You see a lot of guys saying ev's don't work because they have to drive 500 miles a day carrying equipment. Fine keep your diesel truck as that is what you need but it doesn't mean multi vehicle families shouldn't have at least one ev in the fleet.

May 4, 2018, 10:01 a.m.

that's what you need to replace vancouver's seabusses with:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/all-electric-catamaran-battery-pack-future-of-the-fjords/

May 4, 2018, 10:19 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/all-electric-catamaran-battery-pack-future-of-the-fjords/

This is brilliant.  The best part of this article is the system for charging at the berth - very innovative.

May 4, 2018, 10:43 a.m.

All-electric ferry in Norway.  Meanwhile in BC, our ferry system lobbied for LNG flex fuel...

May 4, 2018, 11:56 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

The second issue is keeping the occupants warm.  With ICE, you get the 'benefit' of free heat to warm the passenger compartment.  In an EV, battery power has to be used to warm the car.  This will also reduce the range on the vehicle from what would b considered normal.

I've been looking at different EVs and PHEVs, and several have heated seats and steering wheels.  The idea being that if your hands and ass are warm, you won't feel the need to heat all the air in the vehicle.  Presumably, it requires less power to heat those directly than to heat air and then blow it around the cabin.  Probably OK in a place like Vancouver, less so where it actually gets cold.

Having just had a vehicle written off after a fender-bender, and given current gas prices, hybrids and PHEVs are looking very attractive right now.

May 4, 2018, 2:38 p.m.

WRT heating, keep in mind that the initial heating of a cold car parked overnight is the biggest part.  Once the car is warm, it doesn't take a lot of energy to keep it warm.  Preheating can be done while the car is still plugged in, before you drive, so the only effect on range is that portion of heating needed to maintain cabin temperature.

May 4, 2018, 4:44 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Where's Glen  Clark when we need him?

May 4, 2018, 5:22 p.m.

I bet he would like those sun decks.

May 6, 2018, 8:11 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Posted by: shoreboy

The second issue is keeping the occupants warm.  With ICE, you get the 'benefit' of free heat to warm the passenger compartment.  In an EV, battery power has to be used to warm the car.  This will also reduce the range on the vehicle from what would b considered normal.

I've been looking at different EVs and PHEVs, and several have heated seats and steering wheels.  The idea being that if your hands and ass are warm, you won't feel the need to heat all the air in the vehicle.  Presumably, it requires less power to heat those directly than to heat air and then blow it around the cabin.  Probably OK in a place like Vancouver, less so where it actually gets cold.

Having just had a vehicle written off after a fender-bender, and given current gas prices, hybrids and PHEVs are looking very attractive right now.

My corolla has heated seats and I prefer those over hot air blowing in my face. What I'm waiting for now is a seat cooler for when the fake leather has been sitting in the hot sun for two or more hours.

May 7, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

^ I can't say I've ever used a fan option besides defrost/heat the feet at the same time.

Oct. 23, 2018, 8:35 p.m.

Anyone have info on the Audi E-tron without having to put down a $1000 deposit then field calls from sales people?

Vehicle looks as if it could fit my/our needs better than a M3 AWD

Oct. 24, 2018, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I bet he would like those sun decks.

I missed this comment.  Nice burn.  Sun burn, to be more precise ...

Oct. 24, 2018, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Anyone have info on the Audi E-tron without having to put down a $1000 deposit then field calls from sales people?

Vehicle looks as if it could fit my/our needs better than a M3 AWD

e-Tron is going to be delayed yet again, and price is uncertain as LG is re-negotiating the price of batteries.  By the time a production e-Tron is available for sale, Tesla will have the Model Y in mass production.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/22/audi-e-tron-delay-software-lg-price-batteries/

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-killer-death-elon-musk-electric-car-batteries/?fbclid=IwAR3q19slRS4coTiPTnlmox_2cCoVmHvds0_8VUMu17lsSlvOY4fUUAlNrLg

K.

Oct. 24, 2018, 1:54 p.m.

E-Tron starts @75,000+USD.  Found some info on the US site. Almost non-existent on CDN site.

You're likely right about the Y.  If it comes out looking like an X; it'll be a hard pass.  Especially if equipped with falcon wing doors which makes the roof useless.