Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Jan. 8, 2018, 3:21 p.m.

Yes, the current 250,000 model s/x owners and the 500,000 who paid $1000 for a place in line for the model 3 are "taking one for the team".  I guess they're willing to accept Tesla's proprietary plug that charges at 2.4 times the fastest competing charging station's rate.  I guess they're willing to accept that they can use simple adapters to charge from other standard chargers.

Jan. 8, 2018, 8:16 p.m.

Tesla will be but a small prim pimple on the large fleshy buttocks of future electric vehicle production.

Oh sure, they'll possibly retain a tiny niche market. After all, god love 'em, they were the ones that made electric cars cool.

But know this, they wearin' a large ugly bullseye and the the big boys are gunnin' for 'em.

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 8, 2018, 11:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2018, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

e the big boys are gunnin' for 'em.

No, they really aren't.  If you'd actually done any research, you would know that the "big boys" still don't get it.  They are making plans to manufacture BEVs and PHEVs in small volumes in an effort to just barely comply with regulations.  Not a single manufacturer outside of China has plans to mass market any EVs.  By the time the "big boys" respond, Tesla and maybe a few others will be so far ahead they'll be playing catch up for decades.  Tesla may never become as big as the others, but they will continue to expand and sell everything they can build for a long time yet.

My bet, the automotive landscape is going to change radically in the next 20 years.  Some of the biggest will either disappear or become irrelevant.  BMW and FCA are very likely going to be some of the first victims.

Jan. 9, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

No, they really aren't. If you'd actually done any research, you would know that the "big boys" still don't get it. They are making plans to manufacture BEVs and PHEVs in small volumes in an effort to just barely comply with regulations. Not a single manufacturer outside of China has plans to mass market any EVs. By the time the "big boys" respond, Tesla and maybe a few others will be so far ahead they'll be playing catch up for decades. Tesla may never become as big as the others, but they will continue to expand and sell everything they can build for a long time yet.

My bet, the automotive landscape is going to change radically in the next 20 years. Some of the biggest will either disappear or become irrelevant. BMW and FCA are very likely going to be some of the first victims.

Will be interesting to see what happens, all about what sells.

Tesla obviously is quite elitest, other avail EV's are not attractive or useful to this guy.

Hope some more sport utility options show up

Until then.... meh

https://www.caranddriver.com/best-hybrid-electric-cars

Last edited by: bux-bux on Jan. 9, 2018, 10:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2018, 11:49 a.m.

Volvo claims to be entirely electric by 2019.

Jan. 9, 2018, 12:59 p.m.

Volvo claims to be entirely electric by 2019.

They make no such claims. Their claims are any 'all-new' models will be either entirely electric or hybrids. There will still be an ICE in most Volvos for awhile yet.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Jan. 9, 2018, 1:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2018, 5:59 p.m.

Shoreboy is correct.  Read Volvo's press releases carefully.  They promise to be "fully electrified" by 2019.  That is not eqaul to fully electric.

Jan. 9, 2018, 7:06 p.m.

I'm not reading anything. Just regurgitating what motormouth or one of those other u tube reviewers was spewing offhand.

No, they really aren't.  

Playin' possum. Just you watch.

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 9, 2018, 7:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2018, 11:22 p.m.

With the Accord Hybrid now offering a big, full sized trunk as well as split rear seats and 50mpg in the city, it's a better option than most electric vehicles.  There's no range anxiety, reliability, good ride and handling, and pricing that's at least reasonable.

Jan. 10, 2018, 8:20 a.m.

I'm not reading anything. Just regurgitating what motormouth or one of those other u tube reviewers was spewing offhand.

No, they really aren't.

Yeah, you certainly wouldn't want to be informed before bringing up 'claims' for discussion.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Jan. 10, 2018, 8:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 10, 2018, 10:37 a.m.

Bullshit.

The major car manufacturers are publicly traded companies, and withholding significant information about their forward planning on new models and manufacturing strategies from shareholders would be stock fraud and exposing the company to litigation.

CEO of Fiat Chrysler (FCA) is Sergio Marchionne.  He's a climate change denier  ...

‘Welcome to the world of icons!’ quips Marchionne. ‘I don’t make iPhones. I make cars. Why don’t I make the iPhone of cars? Because if it looks and smells like Tesla, I don’t know how to make that economic model work. There is nothing Tesla do that we cannot also do. We build cars, sell them and are still able to pay the bills. But I’m not even sure you can recover all of your costs – let alone generate a profit – through electrification. The answer is bound to be somewhere else, and the question is whether we are doing enough to try to explore that somewhere else.’

Marchionne complains that every Fiat 500 EV that they sell is at a loss of $20,000 USD per car.  Guess he can't figure this whole EV thing out, eh?

He's doing a great job of "playing possum", eh?

Hyundai, Mercedes, Toyota and others have convinced themselves that fuel cell is the way to go.  FCEV is a non-starter.  The energy cycle is an expensive loser's game.

BMW's EV entries are totally half assed.  The i8 has 37 km range on electric.  The i3 (newer, 2018 version) will get up to 180 km range, but it's fugly and costs twice as much as a Nissan Leaf.  The Leaf ain't no looker, but it's affordable, has way more storage space than the i3 and better range (2018 version).

GM has the Bolt, which has excellent range, but again, they lose money on each one sold and they aren't committing to any serious production volumes.  Again, just enough for compliance for CAFE requirements.

The only major that's truly making an effort is VW/Audi.  Despite their unfortunate corporate name (VAG), they at least are trying to put some compelling EV models out in volume.  Of course, they have to, after the whole diesel thing.  They have to make up a lot of mileage for reputation lost.

March 3, 2018, 8:47 a.m.

https://electrek.co/2018/03/03/tesla-inspired-taiga-electric-snowmobile/

March 3, 2018, noon

I read a review where the author liked the Model 3 and thought it was more fun to drive than the S or the X.  He said it was more nimble.  Makes sense as it's smaller.

On another note, Honda is stopping production of it's diesel CR-V (not sold in North America) and is going to replace it with a hybrid.  This will probably come to North America.

And German cities are now allowed to ban diesel cars.  Gets pretty polluted in some European cities on muggy days.

Looks like the push to hybrids and EVs is really picking up.

March 3, 2018, 12:47 p.m.

I'm gonna' buy a Stinger while you can still buy a car with a real automatic.

March 4, 2018, 9:19 a.m.

I'm a car guy. Always been a car guy. For the last year if I need a car (and my Panigale wont work for the situation), if I can take my wife's electric Fiat 500 I will do that 10/10 times instead of either of my other car options. 

That said, I don't think that I am even close to the point where I'm giving up on fire breathing gas engines and 6spd mt's yet.