Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Oct. 27, 2021, 12:17 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: tashi

Our people are poorer than those in Norway too. Makes it harder to buy our way to sustainability.

But implementing an incentive program that truly makes a new EV more affordable than an equivalent ICE will still work - ie., anyone buying a new car already (presumably) can afford a new car and thus will have their choices influenced by the incentives.

BC's incentive of $3000 is piss in a bucket. Even the US, which will soon be offering up to $12k in incentives is way better. Norway has a VAT that is added to all new car sales, but for the last 6 years (at least) the VAT was waived for zero emission vehicles.

No matter what the incentive amount is, it’s only going to people who can afford new cars. Since most people can’t afford new cars, it’s essentially a wealth transfer to the wealthy. Like most targeted subsidies. And like most targeted subsidies, it’s enacted because it’s politically beneficial because it’s “free money” and looks like the politicians are doing something.

Anecdote time: Victoria used to provide free charging in its parkades.  My father, who has an extensive commute was able to fuel his commute at no charge.  I have a short commute, make decent money, but don’t have the resources to buy an electric car.  By paying for my fathers fuel through my taxes I was just getting further from being able to switch, while paying for the unnecessarily long commute of someone who can pay cash for a 6-figure luxury car.  Does this make any sense?  Wouldn’t taxing the shit out of the externalities make more sense?

Has anyone done an accounting of say carbon emissions (or any other major pollutant) comparing running a vehicle 5 years longer vs buying a new electric?  Making new shit generally costs the planet far more than keeping shit going, even if the old thing is a little dirtier.

Oct. 28, 2021, 12:26 a.m.

EV pricing is about to become cheaper than ICE for new vehicles. This will happen within the next 2 years. Once that happens ICE is dead, and EVs will take over half the market share for new passenger cars.

that moment is already here, hertz would never buy 100k tesla at retail price if the math didn’t work out for them

Oct. 28, 2021, 9:27 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

EV pricing is about to become cheaper than ICE for new vehicles. This will happen within the next 2 years. Once that happens ICE is dead, and EVs will take over half the market share for new passenger cars.

that moment is already here, hertz would never buy 100k tesla at retail price if the math didn’t work out for them

No doubt Hertz has done a life cycle cost analysis to see how the math works out. Average Joe consumer rarely looks at that, and only looks at sticker price, so the inflection point will be when EV purchase price falls below equivalent ICE pricing.

Oct. 28, 2021, 11:03 a.m.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/10/28/too-bad-we-cant-tax-egos-elon-musk-blasted-attack-billionaire-tax

Nov. 4, 2021, 2:53 p.m.

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 4, 2021, 8:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 7, 2021, 11:51 a.m.

My wife and I bought an EV back in August. Been driving it daily ever since and it's been great. Had some range anxiety at first, but we've learned that it's not really an issue if we just use it for commuting and running errands.

Our current schedule is to drive it all week, plug it in Friday after work and let it charge over the weekend. We unplug to go to the beer store or get groceries, which actually uses almost no range because of the regenerative braking.

Then we unplug Monday morning and start the process over.

We only have level 1 charging at home so it takes the whole weekend to get to 95% - 100% charge, but that is more than enough to get us through the week, without having to top-off.

It's been about 3 months and I haven't noticed any difference on my hydro bill. I have noticed a huge savings in gas costs though... Our second vehicle is a Ram 1500, and not using it for errands has really helped extend how long a tank of gas lasts me.

Last edited by: Ride.DMC on Nov. 7, 2021, 11:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 7, 2021, 12:51 p.m.

also lower operating cost on the Ram

I just read something that said there are 12000 gas station but only 6000 charging stations in Canada  and I imagine most of those are close to the border where all the people are ?

Nov. 7, 2021, 11:01 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

My wife and I bought an EV back in August. Been driving it daily ever since and it's been great. Had some range anxiety at first, but we've learned that it's not really an issue if we just use it for commuting and running errands.

Our current schedule is to drive it all week, plug it in Friday after work and let it charge over the weekend. We unplug to go to the beer store or get groceries, which actually uses almost no range because of the regenerative braking.

We only have level 1 charging at home so it takes the whole weekend to get to 95% - 100% charge, but that is more than enough to get us through the week, without having to top-off.

It's been about 3 months and I haven't noticed any difference on my hydro bill. I have noticed a huge savings in gas costs though... Our second vehicle is a Ram 1500, and not using it for errands has really helped extend how long a tank of gas lasts me.

why not plug it in every night?

Nov. 8, 2021, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Ride.DMC

why not plug it in every night?

Indeed, why not?

Nov. 8, 2021, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I just read something that said there are 12000 gas station but only 6000 charging stations in Canada  and I imagine most of those are close to the border where all the people are ?

This just Tesla Supercharging ... doesn't show any of the third party chargers.

https://supercharge.info/map

Nov. 8, 2021, 8:30 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/10/28/too-bad-we-cant-tax-egos-elon-musk-blasted-attack-billionaire-tax

So, now that Musk has committed to selling 10% of his shares and paying 15 billion dollars in tax, what ya gonna bitch about now?

Nov. 8, 2021, 9:18 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

This just Tesla Supercharging ... doesn't show any of the third party chargers.

https://supercharge.info/map

thats just america^^ I am Canadian and really interested in Canada,  specifically  anywhere north of prince george

Nov. 8, 2021, 12:31 p.m.

I was able to get a Level 2 charger through the ZapIt program in BC. You have to agree to have it connected to your wifi for 3 years (so they can collect usage data), but theyll give you the charger (you only pay the tax). It was a chargepoint when I got signed up, not sure if this program is active anymore.

Be aware that some homes may be challenged to plug a Level 2 into the box. We had to move and combine circuits to make it work in my house. If I get a second level 2 I will need a new box. I love love love gas cars and I dont see my fun car being anything but for awhile, but for everything else, electric is just so much better. We have had electric cars (on our second) for 5 years now.

Nov. 8, 2021, 12:51 p.m.

So, now that Musk has committed to selling 10% of his shares and paying 15 billion dollars in tax, what ya gonna bitch about now?

He's not. Super rich don't give it away. There's an angle.

"He is the poster child for why we need a billionaires income tax," the progressive advocacy group Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) wrote of Musk in a tweet on Sunday. "Billionaires shouldn't only have to pay taxes when they volunteer to do so."

https://americansfortaxfairness.org/issue/elon-musk-case-billionaires-income-tax/

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 8, 2021, 1:04 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Nov. 8, 2021, 1:17 p.m.

He's not. Super rich don't give it away. There's an angle.

"He is the poster child for why we need a billionaires income tax," the progressive advocacy group Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) wrote of Musk in a tweet on Sunday. "Billionaires shouldn't only have to pay taxes when they volunteer to do so."

https://americansfortaxfairness.org/issue/elon-musk-case-billionaires-income-tax/

The angle is that his 2012 options are set to expire in 2022.  So he's going to have to exercise them and realize the gain on them anyway.