Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

May 27, 2021, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

I suspect there will be bits of both. And I also think that the truck utility factor is a lot better than the naysayers are implying.

If you don't need payload capacity and are more focused on towing capacity then yes, the utility factor is better than other short bed pickups. It's not a bad product by any means, but it has some limitations.

Edit:

If they came up with an option similar to the Chevy Avalanche where you can flip down the back of the cab to extend the bed length, then suddenly it becomes a front runner - except for the styling.

Last edited by: syncro on May 27, 2021, 2:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

How do either the tesla or the ford ev truck come up short? For 99% of the lower mainland contractors I can't see a single drawback and even some advantages. Most people get materials delivered anyways and generally just have to move people and tools. How much range does the average trades worker actually need?

99% ? If all you need is space to throw tools then yeah, but if you need to haul materials like plywood, drywall, etc, then the short bed is a pita. I think the other drawback is cost. For city work the range is fine though.

May 27, 2021, 2:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

How do either the tesla or the ford ev truck come up short? For 99% of the lower mainland contractors I can't see a single drawback and even some advantages. Most people get materials delivered anyways and generally just have to move people and tools. How much range does the average trades worker actually need?

99% ? If all you need is space to throw tools then yeah, but if you need to haul materials like plywood, drywall, etc, then the short bed is a pita. I think the other drawback is cost. For city work the range is fine though.

The cybertruck has a flip stop on the tailgate which gives you 8ft of space. The lightning also has an 8 foot bed option. Still don't see what the problem is.

May 27, 2021, 2:53 p.m.

The cybertruck has a flip stop on the tailgate which gives you 8ft of space. The lightning also has an 8 foot bed option. Still don't see what the problem is.

I never said I had a problem with the Lightning. Is the flip stop on the Cybertruck the same height as the bed or just a fraction of it? I can't find any pictures on it. Part of the issue of doing that tho with a full load is it puts a significant portion of a heavy load behind the rear axle which is shitty for handling and can really be unsafe at higher speeds. It might be ok for one or two sheets, but not something I'd want to do with a full load. For light truck users, the Cybertruck will probably be a good fit if it's in their price range, for heavier users it will probably be limited. Although with the way I see some numpties overload their short bed 1/2 ton pickups, it may not matter.

May 27, 2021, 2:56 p.m.

This thing is gonna crush the #vanlife crowd.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a36050406/tesla-cybertruck-camper-pop-up/

May 27, 2021, 3:22 p.m.

I suspect there will be bits of both. And I also think that the truck utility factor is a lot better than the naysayers are implying.

If you don't need payload capacity and are more focused on towing capacity then yes, the utility factor is better than other short bed pickups. It's not a bad product by any means, but it has some limitations.

Edit:

If they came up with an option similar to the Chevy Avalanche where you can flip down the back of the cab to extend the bed length, then suddenly it becomes a front runner - except for the styling.

Funny you should mention that ...

https://electrek.co/2019/12/04/tesla-cybertruck-able-carry-full-4x8-sheet-flip-stop-feature-gate/

May 27, 2021, 3:35 p.m.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/04/tesla-cybertruck-able-carry-full-4x8-sheet-flip-stop-feature-gate/

Yeah saw that as FO previously pointed out, but as yet there's no official word from Tesla or just exactly how it will work so the verdict is still out. Besides that my point to FO about load safety is the bigger concern and a flip stop is not a solution when there's 1000lbs of whatever in the back with more than half of it resting more than half behind the rear axle.

If you doubt that maybe you know an engineer who could explain it to you? ;)

Last edited by: syncro on May 27, 2021, 3:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 4:32 p.m.

Yeah saw that as FO previously pointed out, but as yet there's no official word from Tesla or just exactly how it will work so the verdict is still out. Besides that my point to FO about load safety is the bigger concern and a flip stop is not a solution when there's 1000lbs of whatever in the back with more than half of it resting more than half behind the rear axle.

If you doubt that maybe you know an engineer who could explain it to you? ;)

Does this weight handling issue still apply when most of the weight is sitting along the bottom of the truck in the battery pack? 

A sheet of 4x8 drywall is about 60 pounds. Isn't plywood about the same? I don't know anyone who would put over a dozen sheets in a pickup anyways. Maybe one or two if you counted short and didn't get enough delivered.

May 27, 2021, 4:40 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

This thing is gonna crush the #vanlife crowd.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a36050406/tesla-cybertruck-camper-pop-up/

This will be my setup after I make millions off crypto. I'll build it on some remote piece of air or water access only land somewhere.

By then Tesla inspired personal electric quadcopters will probably be a thing. 

https://uncrate.com/cyberhouse/

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 27, 2021, 4:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 4:41 p.m.

Does this weight handling issue still apply when most of the weight is sitting along the bottom of the truck in the battery pack?

A sheet of 4x8 drywall is about 60 pounds. Isn't plywood about the same? I don't know anyone who would put over a dozen sheets in a pickup anyways. Maybe one or two if you counted short and didn't get enough delivered.

Yes, as more weight is moved behind the rear axle it basically turns it into a pivot point. Think of it like a teeter totter. With more of a load behind the rear axle it lightens the front end and braking and steering is affected. I've had around 20 sheets in the back of my truck once and when you're loaded down with that much weight, even properly, you notice it and it affects the way a vehicle drives. If you spend any time at a supply yard you see people loading up trucks in all sorts of stupid manners as not everyone gets materials delivered.

Last edited by: syncro on May 27, 2021, 10:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 9:46 p.m.

https://youtu.be/J2npVg9ONFo

May 27, 2021, 11:28 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Posted by: XXX_er

If it's recreational then what's the problem with sitting around for half an hour eating a sandwich while charging?

where did you start/ where did you finish/ where are you going to recharge ?

Electric Greg would go for a training run while his EV charged but he is not even close to normal

Not sure where you start or finish but it's a lot easier to build a charging station near a remote area than a battery swapping station. The investment costs of that kind of infrastructure would be insane. Also what's the total range of a gas truck on logging roads carrying a couple jerry cans? My corolla only averages about 500kms out of it's 40 liter tanks. If you're driving 400kms into the bush in an IC vehicle does range not also become an issue?

Im averaging 1050 km to a 120 litre tank.

Dont get me wrong, electric trucks have their niche...fleet use would be excellent. Id gladly try them out at work where the trucks do less than 100 km a day for the most part.

you do understand you charge these vehicles every night and start with a full „tank“ right?

anyways, good news for you, the cybertruck will support your needs for 800km long drives without peeing (btw, is that a maso thing?):

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-range-610-miles-patent/

May 28, 2021, 8:46 a.m.

If the CyberTruck does in fact end up with ~800km range, there is no way you would be able to charge it (from empty to full) overnight on a normal home Level 2 charger. BC Hydro states Level 2 chargers run at 30km/hr. Perhaps someone with real world Level 2 chargers experience can chime in on this number?  So if you were out in your CyberTruck driving around all day, picking up drywall and plywood, drag racing F-150 Lightning's, towing 14,000lb trailers and you came home close to empty, you wouldn't even get back to half full with an overnight charge. Again, very few if any people would run into a situation like this, but it is something to consider.

Last edited by: shoreboy on May 28, 2021, 8:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

Damn, that sounds like a real nice saturday!

(Might make it to Bed Bath and Beyond, not sure I'll have time.)

May 28, 2021, 10:43 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

If the CyberTruck does in fact end up with ~800km range, there is no way you would be able to charge it (from empty to full) overnight on a normal home Level 2 charger. BC Hydro states Level 2 chargers run at 30km/hr. Perhaps someone with real world Level 2 chargers experience can chime in on this number? So if you were out in your CyberTruck driving around all day, picking up drywall and plywood, drag racing F-150 Lightning's, towing 14,000lb trailers and you came home close to empty, you wouldn't even get back to half full with an overnight charge. Again, very few if any people would run into a situation like this, but it is something to consider.

you can have up to 22kw home charger in europe. that would be more than sufficient. they cost around 1200eur, in germany you can get up to 900eur for one from the government.

edit: there are even cheaper ones, this one costs just 950, thats nothing with the subsidy:

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/de_de/evbox-elvi-wallbox-22kw-wlan-bluetooth.html

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 28, 2021, 10:49 a.m., edited 2 times in total.