Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

April 3, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

i got that number from hydro's site: http://www.bchydro.com/content/BCHydro/en/energy-in-bc/our_system/generation.html

I think there is some conflicting info out there….

I think the plant fires up twice a month for testing at the present moment.

even if they presently do provide 7.5%, the present government has plans to start dismantling in the next 2 years.

April 3, 2014, 8:49 a.m.

well there's one guy here who would know for sure. maybe get dave to call john and see what the deal is.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 3, 2014, 8:50 a.m.

well there's one guy here who would know for sure. maybe get dave to call john and see what the deal is.

lol….

April 3, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/26/us-teslamotors-idUSBREA1P22S20140226

$5 billion factory to produce batteries. This will help reduce the cost and give EV longer ranges. A win win investment.

:canada:

April 3, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/26/us-teslamotors-idUSBREA1P22S20140226

$5 billion factory to produce batteries. This will help reduce the cost and give EV longer ranges. A win win investment.

Yes, and the factory will be largely powered by renewables - plan is to build a huge wind farm and solar array next to the selected site. Also, a Li-Ion recycling facility on-site. When those old battery packs start to die out, they'll be delivered to the factory to be used as raw material.

That should help shut up the voices that say there won't be enough lithium to upscale car production.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 3, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

As EV starts to become more common place, I'm curious as to how the government will go about collecting taxes that they presently collect from fuel at the pumps. You would think at some point they would want the money…..?? Roughly 30% tax is collected on a fuel at the pump…at some point someone is going to start missing that.

They'll change the carbon tax to lithium tax.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 3, 2014, 11:30 a.m.

I've wondered how the petroleum industry is or will be dealing with a movement away from their product. If a lot more NG, coal, and wind/solar are used in industry, and hybrid/electric grows a lot in automotive, oil demand is going to decrease. Revenue will drop. The only options are to increase product cost (which will decrease consumption and still drop revenue), or to drop product cost so that consumption remains high.

Disclosure: I'm employed by an oil company and these are my own opinions. I personally hold investments in several oil companies AND TSLA. I'm bullish on both carbon-based fuels and EVs.

Depends on whether you view the problem locally or globally.

The world is using more energy, not less. What I believe you're likely going to see is robust demand for oil, natgas, and yes, coal as the per-capita consumption of energy increases in the developing world. Places like China are building everything from wind farms to coal power plants because their appetite is almost insatiable. The abandonment of nuclear power by many nations (a mistake IMHO, but that's another story) will largely be replaced by NatGas fueled generation in the medium term. We'll also see robust development of renewables globally, but it just won't keep up because the technology of affordable scale today is still carbon based.

More locally and throughout the developed world, things are going the other way. The highest per-capita consumers of energy (i.e. us) are getting more efficient. In British Columbia, people already are consuming less gasoline, for example. Prices have been steadily shifting the vehicle fleet toward more fuel efficient vehicles (smaller vehicles, smaller displacement engines, better engine technology, hybrids, etc.) and people are changing their behaviors toward more transit, combining trips, etc.

EVs are starting to hit the practicality sweet spot, if not the price/practicality sweet spot. They will continue to be luxury items for the time being but this is tech that is starting to tip. I've driven the Leaf as well as the Model S. The Leaf is a nice practical vehicle that's boring. The Model S is the first EV that I could see being close to practical for my life pattern. Both are still luxury items.

So back to your question. Demand continues to rise globally while the era of easy oil is over. Big Oil will be fine (I know many will be disappointed in that). But we're going to see a tremendous amount of change over the next few decades - it's going to be interesting!

April 3, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

these programs make a lot of sense (in urban areas, anyways). the resources many of us unnecessarily spend on car ownership is ridiculous. alas, the car fetish, and the associated status / prestige of owning such things is hard to overcome. I've been a car nerd since forever, but these days when I see an exotic on the street (a handful every day it seems), i'm more inclined to think how that gratuitous lump of cash could be better utilized for societal benefit rather than as a shiny trinket. i think i'm turning into a hippie in my old(er) age.

that said, i'm all over ev development. it's got to happen, and the sooner the better. the tesla is a neat piece of tech.

cars as a service will really start when the self driving car will be available to the masses. why own something that you need to drive BY YOURSELF when theres something that just drives you from a to b?

April 3, 2014, 3:21 p.m.

What if someone is already plugged into the charging station when you get there?

I ask because the Tim Hortons near my house has an EV charging dock installed in one of their parking stalls - but there is only 1 of them. Not an issue right now, but as EV's become more popular (because let's face it; they should/will) it will become an issue.

Do the supercharging stations you mention have more than one outlet (or whatever they have) so that multiple vehicles can be charging at the same time? Or, if you pull into Merrit on your way to Kamloops or wherever, are you waiting until the person in front of you has finished the 30, 60, or 90 minute re-charge?

a typical supercharger station has 8 slots for now, but they should be scalable easily

April 3, 2014, 4:01 p.m.

Six, initially …

April 3, 2014, 6:37 p.m.

do the Tesla supercharger stations charge all makes of electric vehicles?

I guess I can't believe that an industry could agree on a single standard for a plug

April 3, 2014, 7:15 p.m.

no they use a proprietary system, cabable of delivering more power in the same time. but they said they will open it for other manufactures if they also go the 135kw charging way.

@kenn: the ones they built here have 8 charging stalls:

http://www.teslamotors.com/de_AT/supercharger/aichstetten

April 3, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

Just need an adapter.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 3, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

Just need an adapter.

Nope.

The Tesla plug includes a communication protocol. Some Teslas can't even use the superchargers, it needs to be enabled at the car end of the connection.

Also, very few EVs can even handle charging from the supercharger. Most will take up to 90 amps charging rate. Superchargers dump at 300 amps.

April 3, 2014, 7:58 p.m.

Nope.

The Tesla plug includes a communication protocol. Some Teslas can't even use the superchargers, it needs to be enabled at the car end of the connection.

Also, very few EVs can even handle charging from the supercharger. Most will take up to 90 amps charging rate. Superchargers dump at 300 amps.

currently… (heh).
common, it's not like battery charging is a step function, it's completely feasible that the station could charge any battery config that was able to talk to it.. Ever use a Cadex system?

conceivably the charging current ramps up quickly to it's programmed peak based on battery/system config, and decreases over time. Below is reportedly a SC charging cycle graph.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.