Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

April 9, 2016, 1:30 a.m.

government is going to need to replace the tax revenue on gas eventually to maintain the road infrastructure. I wonder how they will do that

April 9, 2016, 3:33 a.m.

Looks like Model S is getting a slight design refresh. Looks a little better.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 14, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

Even though they screwed everyone with the TDI fiasco…. I kind of want one of these:
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/vw-budd-e-electric-van-will-reportedly-see-production

April 14, 2016, 8:56 a.m.

It'll still fail emissions testing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 14, 2016, 11:08 a.m.

It'll still fail emissions testing.

April 14, 2016, 12:04 p.m.

Saw an X in Palm Springs yesterday, sick.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

April 14, 2016, 11:34 p.m.

Even though they screwed everyone with the TDI fiasco…. I kind of want one of these:
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/vw-budd-e-electric-van-will-reportedly-see-production

when the suits are finished with it it will look as boring as the bolt

April 15, 2016, 1:16 p.m.

when the suits are finished with it it will look as boring as the bolt

I thought this was the version that has already been destroyed by the suits.

This is just another mini-van. None of the function or appeal of the original micobus or the Vanagon. Can't make that thing into a camper making it a big fail in my opinion.

April 16, 2016, 7:25 a.m.

My dad picked up his new Tesla yesterday.

It died in the tunnel.

Good to see that American craftsmanship is keeping it real.

On the upside they gave him a P90D as a loaner so I think we'll do a few ludicrous speed launches this weekend…

April 16, 2016, 8:23 a.m.

The Budd-e, sounds like a vaporizer!

Pretty appropriate.

Edit: holy shit, that article says that there is a Budd-e vaporizer! I hope you can get one colour matched to the van.

April 16, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

It died in the tunnel.

On the upside they gave him a P90D as a loaner so I think we'll do a few ludicrous speed launches this weekend…

Traction control off is fun.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 18, 2016, 8:18 a.m.

It died in the tunnel.

I've had mine for over two years and never had a fault, never been stuck on the side of the road. My sample size of one trumps your sample size of one.

In other news …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5rraWJq6E

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 19, 2016, 3:50 p.m.

- Norway and Holland in the process of passing a law that bans the sale of internal combustion cars after 2025

- several other Eurozone countries and US states planning the same, with the final date being 2030

- the EU proposes a ban in all Eurozone countries by 2050.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103383_two-thirds-of-new-cars-in-norway-last-month-were-hybrid-or-electric

Norway is a case study in the effectiveness of electric-car incentives.

The Scandinavian country is known as the friendliest place in the world for electric cars, thanks to generous financial incentives and other perks.

So while electric and hybrid cars continue to make up a small fraction of new-car sales in other countries, they account for a much larger percentage in Norway.

In fact electric cars, along with hybrids and plug-in hybrids, made up roughly 60 percent of car registrations in Norway last month, according to figures published by Dinside Motor.

This level of consumer enthusiasm is enabled by a generous array of incentives.

There is no road tax (or registration fee) for electric cars, no sales tax, no value-added tax, and the corporate-car tax is lower.

Electric cars also get free public parking, free public charging, free ferry transport, and are exempt from tolls on roads, bridges, and tunnels.

They can also travel in restricted bus lanes, although this is expected to be rolled back due to traffic issues.

Norway's incentives and the results they yield are impressive, but the country has an even more ambitious goal.

The government aims to make close to 100 percent of cars on Norwegian roads emission-free by 2025.

That is part of a larger plan to cut carbon emission by 40 percent from 1990 levels over the next 15 years.

In addition, the capital city of Oslo may ban most cars—electric or otherwise—from its downtown area by 2020.

April 19, 2016, 7:21 p.m.

Well that's just dumb.

I'm sure by 2025 the benefits of EV's can sell themselves just fine without being propped up by government regulation.

April 19, 2016, 8:48 p.m.

Yes, because the free markets will sort things out as people pick up the superior technology.

Except … free market religiosity is what got us in this hole in the first place.