Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

April 1, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

180k:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/1/11346916/tesla-model-3-preorder-180000-elon-musk-tweet

April 1, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

This is an electric I'd buy:

Tesla/Ford

Let us know when you buy one.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 1, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

This is an electric I'd buy:

Tesla/Ford

Let us know when you buy one.

Maybe it'll be available by April fool's next year?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 2, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

Tweet from Musk this morning says 253k now. Also says he'll update two more times - end of weekend and Wednesday eve (to reflect first full week of orders).

April 2, 2016, 2 p.m.

Buyers should have waited in line…

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/02/tesla-underestimated-model-3-demand/

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 3, 2016, 6:03 a.m.

Tweet from Musk this morning says 253k now. Also says he'll update two more times - end of weekend and Wednesday eve (to reflect first full week of orders).

will be interesting how fast they can ramp up production now. also i would really like to attend the board meetings of the german car industry tomorrow :D

April 3, 2016, 8:52 a.m.

And we are sure the Tesla wasn't an April fool joke? I mean, Musk is rich enough to laugh it off.

April 3, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

And we are sure the Tesla wasn't an April fool joke? I mean, Musk is rich enough to laugh it off.

I'd be laughing all the way to the bank if I raised a quarter-of-a-billion $ crowdfunding in 2 days.

April 3, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/electric-car-charging-station-congestion-1.3518353

Complaints about people waiting for charge stations, users sometimes leaving their car for longer than needed.
Basically already a solved problem with autopilot and the "snake-bot" charger. Thought the snakebot wqs a gimmick until now. Pull up, instruct car to charge and come back later to find where its parked itself.

April 5, 2016, 3:46 p.m.

Much ado about nothing. Some journo manages to dig up two or three popular charging sites and writes an article making it sound like the problem is endemic to all EV charging.

Utter tripe.

April 5, 2016, 4:08 p.m.

The charging stations at since areas of North Vancouver (like at MEC) look like they charge for electricity. What's the price?

Pretty interesting that Tesla took in more money in model 3 deposits than they did in their IPO.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 6, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

No cost to use any charging stations in BC, except for Greenlots high speed DC chargers (which is a partnership with BC Hydro). Standard private parking lot fees may apply, though.

April 6, 2016, 12:53 p.m.

No cost to use any charging stations in BC, except for Greenlots high speed DC chargers (which is a partnership with BC Hydro). Standard private parking lot fees may apply, though.

Like at Whistler?

The charging stations at since areas of North Vancouver (like at MEC) look like they charge for electricity. What's the price?

Pretty interesting that Tesla took in more money in model 3 deposits than they did in their IPO.

1000 times more. Not that surprising … in 2010 you could have been considered batshit crazy to invest in a prototype electric car not built by a major automaker. Enough people now think buying a Tesla is money well spent.

April 6, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

The meter at in the lane West of Lonsdale, around 15th, has a charger. It takes payment and the has charging costs on the display. Similar to the one at MEC. Just wondering if you have to pay for them and what kind of rate they charge.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 6, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

The meter at in the lane West of Lonsdale, around 15th, has a charger. It takes payment and the has charging costs on the display. Similar to the one at MEC. Just wondering if you have to pay for them and what kind of rate they charge.

There is no cost. You do have to order a mag fob from Chargepoint (looks like a mini-credit card) which was free two years ago when I got mine. That activates the station for use, but no fees apply for stations in BC.

That is because of the laws around selling power in BC. If an operator wants to charge a price for use of an EV charging station, the law says this is "selling power". Only BC Hydro can sell power in the province of BC … unless the seller applies to become an independent power producer (or something like that). The cost and paperwork is too much of a pain to be bothered with - and almost no gain, so nobody bothers.

Keep in mind that those Chargepoint stations are Level 2 (240 volt, 30 amp, 6.6 kilowatt) stations. So if someone plugs in, they are pulling about 65 cents worth of power per hour. Not exactly a huge ongoing cost to the owner/operator.