Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

Oct. 10, 2014, 11:06 a.m.

Announcing new version of the Tesla S now. Dual motor brings 0-60 time down to 3.2 seconds!

Live tweet at event: https://twitter.com/Chris_Ciaccia

Actual announcement video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ6lZJWL_Xk

I'm not really a car guy, but I am a technology guy, and I'm not sure anyone is doing it quite like Elon Musk.

Oct. 10, 2014, 12:32 p.m.

Spotted on Granville St. by a buddy

Oct. 10, 2014, 8:03 p.m.

Spotted on Granville St. by a buddy

What are the tires made of?

www.natooke.com

Oct. 10, 2014, 9:29 p.m.

Hypocrisy.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 11, 2014, 7:55 a.m.

Not like we have a choice in that regard, but in fuel sources for driving the car, then we do.

Oct. 11, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

Not like we have a choice in that regard, but in fuel sources for driving the car, then we do.

by "we" you mean a handful of affluent city dwellers?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 11, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

You guys are all rays of sunshine on an otherwise wet and rainy day. Cheers!

Oct. 11, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

by "we" you mean a handful of affluent city dwellers?

We as in the general driving public, be it affluent city dwellers if that fits the bill. Its a start at least and that's all "we" can ask for at this point in time.

Like it or not, "we" have to get off oil eventually because there won't be any left. That's not a political leaning, that's a fact that applies to all of us whether you're rural or urban. There won't be oil to make tires, but until then, I guess we have to do with what the market provides.

Oct. 11, 2014, 11:34 a.m.

http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/conspiracy/facts/fordhemp.html

Oct. 12, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

At this point the advantage of EVs seem to go way beyond environmentalism. In other words you don't have to be a tree hugger to be interested in one.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 12, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

At this point the advantage of EVs seem to go way beyond environmentalism. In other words you don't have to be a tree hugger to be interested in one.

With the Tesla, under normal day to day urban driving it seems to be a much better alternative to almost anything gas-powered. That's my take anyway. Never having to visit a dealer or get raped on service charges and repairs seems worth it.

The other EV's though do not seem very worthwhile unless you are doing very short trips. Even the Rav4 EV doesn't have a very good range and is quite expensive for what you get. I think a Highlander Hybrid would be a better choice than that.

Oct. 12, 2014, 9:53 a.m.

W… Never having to visit a dealer or get raped on service charges and repairs seems worth it.

yeah we'll see about that…

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 12, 2014, 10:51 a.m.

yeah we'll see about that…

Ok, how about rarely? Either or, its a huge step in the right direction. KenN can chime in as to why and when a Tesla owner would have to visit a dealer.

I just got through owning two Dodge vehicles, so you have to understand my hatred of dealerships.

Oct. 12, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

Ok, how about rarely? Either or, its a huge step in the right direction. KenN can chime in as to why and when a Tesla owner would have to visit a dealer.

I just got through owning two Dodge vehicles, so you have to understand my hatred of dealerships.

Just wondering where you can get your tesla serviced seeing as there's lots of things other than an engine that can go wrong with a car.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 12, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

Just wondering where you can get your tesla serviced seeing as there's lots of things other than an engine that can go wrong with a car.

There are lots of things that break on cars but how often do those things break, really? Not very. Plus, there is the fact that the Tesla has much less moving parts than a ICE car. Think of all the parts of a regular car that rely on the engine to work. Sure, when you need a Tesla specific part then you go to a Tesla dealership, but this could take years. You might own the car for a decade before something breaks.

You take out regular engine services you do every few months out of the equation and how often do you need to service a car? Not very often. Even our shitty Dodge minivan that's now 9 years old has only ever had a couple of things break on it, and both were 100% engine related. But then you add up all the fucking service you have to do to keep that thing functioning… its just not worth it.