Election in Iran

June 19, 2009, 10:23 a.m.

Yes, but in the end who is going to have the "upper hand", since oyu cannot really think in terms of "winning/loosing" in such a situation.

I doubt it'll play out very quickly, but either:

Iran pulls a Tianamen(sp?) Square massacre deal and slaughters protestors on a wholesale basis, then turtles into a corner with the likes of Syria and other fun places, or the Ayatollah will announce that god or allah or whoever spoke to him and told him his people are unhappy, it is time for change yada yada yada and there'll be new elections and someone the ayatollah supports will still win.

June 19, 2009, 10:29 a.m.

I doubt it'll play out very quickly, but either:

Iran pulls a Tianamen(sp?) Square massacre deal and slaughters protestors on a wholesale basis, then turtles into a corner with the likes of Syria and other fun places, or the Ayatollah will announce that god or allah or whoever spoke to him and told him his people are unhappy, it is time for change yada yada yada and there'll be new elections and someone the ayatollah supports will still win.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, the demographics have changed in Iran since the '79 revolution. This is more than a group of college kids out the reform the country. I think we'll see one or two of the Clerics being strung up before this is over, if they stay on their current course.

The supreme leader of the Clerics, Khamenei, can be replaced if the other clerics choose to remove him. They won't risk losing control of the country completely for the sake of one of their own. I see them relinquishing some power and bending to the will of the people on this one, just to keep their hands on the reigns.

June 21, 2009, 10:19 a.m.

An Open Letter to Khamenei.

Awesome.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 21, 2009, 10:36 a.m.

I heard last night that at least 400 students or others have disappeared courtesy of the friendly Army of Gaurdians of The Islamic Revolution.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 21, 2009, 11:02 a.m.

I heard last night that at least 400 students or others have disappeared courtesy of the friendly Army of Gaurdians of The Islamic Revolution.

The new SS.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

June 21, 2009, 2:42 p.m.

The new SS.

Nothing new. This group has existed since 1979.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 21, 2009, 10:09 p.m.

protesters 1
cops 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/2009/06/090621_ag_street_clashes.shtml

June 21, 2009, 10:25 p.m.

"The claim is made that Ahmadinejad stole the election, because the outcome was declared too soon after the polls closed for all the votes to have been counted. However, Mousavi declared his victory several hours before the polls closed. This is classic CIA destabilization designed to discredit a contrary outcome. It forces an early declaration of the vote. The longer the time interval between the preemptive declaration of victory and the release of the vote tally, the longer Mousavi has to create the impression that the authorities are using the time to fix the vote. It is amazing that people don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t see through this trick.

On May 23, 2007, Brian Ross and Richard Esposito reported on ABC News: [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;The CIA has received secret presidential approval to mount a covert [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;black[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; operation to destabilize the Iranian government, current and former officials in the intelligence community tell ABC News.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

On May 27, 2007, the London Telegraph independently reported: [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;Mr. Bush has signed an official document endorsing CIA plans for a propaganda and disinformation campaign intended to destabilize, and eventually topple, the theocratic rule of the mullahs.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

A few days previously, the Telegraph reported on May 16, 2007, that Bush administration neocon warmonger John Bolton told the Telegraph that a US military attack on Iran would [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;be a [HTML_REMOVED]#8216;last option[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; after economic sanctions and attempts to foment a popular revolution had failed.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

On June 29, 2008, Seymour Hersh reported in the New Yorker: [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;Late last year, Congress agreed to a request from President Bush to fund a major escalation of covert operations against Iran, according to current and former military, intelligence, and congressional sources. These operations, for which the President sought up to four hundred million dollars, were described in a Presidential Finding signed by Bush, and are designed to destabilize the country[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s religious leadership.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

The protests in Tehran no doubt have many sincere participants. The protests also have the hallmarks of the CIA orchestrated protests in Georgia and Ukraine. It requires total blindness not to see this."

Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan administration.

http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts06192009.html

Total blindness…………………

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 22, 2009, 11:43 a.m.

Most forget the fact that even if Mousavi should win in case the election should be done again….he is not what we would call "Pro Western". He was a big-un in the late 70s/early 80s when the country solidified its present status under the Ayatollah.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 22, 2009, 12:54 p.m.

A Hard Look at the Numbers

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 22, 2009, 3:40 p.m.

There were 3 million more votes cast than there are elligible voters.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 22, 2009, 4:21 p.m.

There were 3 million more votes cast than there are elligible voters.

A "slight irregularity" that doesn't change the outcome of the election …

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.