Edward Snowden

June 25, 2013, 4:26 p.m.

Well, the people who do not care what the US Gov't is up to are the same who are not up in arms about the corporate side of the equation collecting, analyzing (and profiting!) from essentially the same kind of surveillance under the guise of delivering "free" services…

Funny how FB, GOOG, MSFT, AAPL et al. are actually able to hand over - fairly easily - the information when the NSA comes knocking. Sure, they are required to keep certain logs and duly "complain" and "resist" on behalf of their client's privacy when asked but no doubt they benefit from the "surveillance" as it is core to their business models.

I'm not a tinfoil hat guy (and actually use some of these services) but I don't think for one minute that I'm getting any of the services without cost!

Flipping things around - would the world be more accepting of such government "watching" if we got something more tangible out of it besides "protecting us from the terrorists"? :lol:

June 25, 2013, 5:11 p.m.

I think that we are a lot closer to a boiling point in regards to fiscal policy, more precisely, rampant income inequality, because that actually has measurable negative results in the average persons life.

I predict a Canada-wide general strike before the next fed election. IMO, it's getting very close.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 25, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

Well, the people who do not care what the US Gov't is up to are the same who are not up in arms about the corporate side of the equation collecting, analyzing (and profiting!) from essentially the same kind of surveillance under the guise of delivering "free" services…

When services are free, you are the product.

Ride, don't slide.

June 25, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

I predict a Canada-wide general strike before the next fed election. IMO, it's getting very close.

Kn.

I can't speak for Canada wide, but I certainly feel a "boiling point" moment in BC. Its the only time I have ever felt everyone stretched and unhappy with politicians and the general direction our lives/policies are headed.

BC, and Vancouver in particular are such a hot pot of economic inequality that I feel like people are finally starting to get upset, primarily because its affecting our daily lives as Jbazzett mentioned.

The same week as Translink announced that its looking at serious road use taxes, Christy decides to give staffers massive raises. I am aware those raises have since been rescinded, but this shows a clear disconnect with where the general population is at both financially and emotionally.

I can't help but feel that the only two things on the news being announced are funding cuts for services and increased taxes.

I do think that we will begin to see "actions" over the next couple of years.

June 25, 2013, 6:04 p.m.

Kn.

:lol: That there's a real knee slapper!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Snowden, The Guardian and WikiLeaks

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 25, 2013, 6:12 p.m.

Kn.

Just wondering, does your employer require mandatory drugs tests and CT scans?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 25, 2013, 6:16 p.m.

kinda wanna watch v for vendetta now.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 25, 2013, 6:43 p.m.

Fookin awesome flick.

Kn.

June 25, 2013, 7:19 p.m.

It is total fucking madness that they try to justify it all by saying "Don't worry America, we weren't spying on you, just the rest of the world".

At the root of it all, the powerful in corporate america use TERROR and FREEDOM as a control to subdue the masses. The fact is that you are more likely to die from falling out of bed in the morning than from TERROR!!!, why don't the NSA target the evil bed manufacturing industry?

June 25, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

Someone once said "A well-fed populace never riots."
Change that to "An over-fed populace who've lost all sense of reality from watching too much TV won't riot" and you've summed up the situation in the US.

June 25, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

The guy broke the law and his duty, he broke a sworn oath… he should be punished.

June 25, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

^^^

Haha ha.

Kn.

June 25, 2013, 9:50 p.m.

The guy broke the law and his duty, he broke a sworn oath… he should be punished.

So you are saying that you'd be capable of, and commit to doing anything if it were your duty.

Check.

June 25, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

A lot of convicted war criminals were just "doing their duty". Hmmmm …

Kn.

June 25, 2013, 9:57 p.m.

fired it up and watched it right after reading this….been a long time since i watched it, it's scary how poignent and accurate it is today, pretty sad state of affairs we've devolved into.