Edward Snowden

July 4, 2013, 7:20 p.m.

Don't worry people, this CAN'T happen here.

Security experts recommend you protect your privacy with apps like this or this. And only for 99 cents - one times.

July 4, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

Security experts recommend you protect your privacy with apps like this or this. And only for 99 cents - one times.

Sieg heil.

July 4, 2013, 9:10 p.m.

Don't worry people, this CAN'T happen here.

How the fuck can people live in a place with smog like that? Their life expectancy must be way low.

Thread killer

July 4, 2013, 11:54 p.m.

Its interesting that people have such a blind spot to these issues, even given hind sight.

For example, what if I told you the City of Vancouver "food council" will ban all people who have eaten meat 3 times a week from consuming any more meat.

You say, absurd, preposterous, would never happen, ridiculous!

Yet, all the pieces of the puzzle are there, but jumping to conclusions like this is too far out tinfoil for most people.

Absolutely brilliant idea. Healthier people, lower healthcare costs, lower Co2 emmisions, a step in the right direction ethically. If any council was smart enough to implement such an idea I'd be very surprised.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 5, 2013, 8:56 a.m.

Absolutely brilliant idea. Healthier people, lower healthcare costs, lower Co2 emmisions, a step in the right direction ethically. If any council was smart enough to implement such an idea I'd be very surprised.

That would be almost as ludicrous as forcing people register their cars that they own, display a government registration license on them at all times in public, and to always be in possession an operator's license at all times while using one. There is no way any of that kind of Stasi State stuff would pass muster in a free, open and democratic society.

July 5, 2013, 9:07 a.m.

That would be almost as ludicrous as forcing people register their cars that they own, display a government registration license on them at all times in public, and to always be in possession an operator's license at all times while using one. There is no way any of that kind of Stasi State stuff would pass muster in a free, open and democratic society.

in the UK you need a TV licence….to own a TV :cuffs:

July 5, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

in the UK you need a TV licence….to own a TV :cuffs:

At least their TV tends to not suck so bad. And the BBC is commercial free. Our licensing scheme is called a "cable subscription" although it is possible to "steal" TV over interwebz and airwaves.

July 5, 2013, 9:19 a.m.

Just curious, do you really believe there is no difference or are you just trolling?

July 5, 2013, 9:48 a.m.

Just curious, do you really believe there is no difference or are you just trolling?

What's the difference? The Government doesn't trust you to operate your car in a safe manner or abide by its own rules. So it has constructed a regulatory framework to ensure that you and your vehicle can be traced, tracked and you be summoned, merely through association with said vehicle, to answer to any charges or claims of impropriety. The government also demands you possess financial instruments to ensure your ability to compensate other parties should you hypothetically (yes - scary, isn't it?) be the perpetrator or victim of an accident. But, you see, I can drive just fine and I don't need the government telling me what I can or can't do.

July 5, 2013, 9:59 a.m.

What's the difference? The Government doesn't trust you to operate your car in a safe manner or abide by its own rules. So it has constructed a regulatory framework to ensure that you and your vehicle can be traced, tracked and you be summoned, by association with with said vehicle, to answer to any charges or claims of impropriety. The government also demands you to possess financial instruments to ensure your ability to compensate others should you hypothetically (scary,isn't it?) be the perpetrator or victim of an accident. But, you see, I can drive just fine and I don't need the government telling me what I can or can't do.

Do you believe the human right to privacy is necessary for meaningful democratic participation?

July 5, 2013, 10:19 a.m.

Do you believe the human right to privacy is necessary for meaningful democratic participation?

The notion that inherently social mammals have the inalienable right to privacy is sooo First-World, or as Randi Zuckerberg tweeted in a nutshell

"Not sure where you got this photo. I posted it on FB. You reposting it to Twitter is way uncool."

Poor Randi … she must have felt violated.

July 5, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

Look at all the air conditioners that those apartments have. That must be in the rich part of town.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2013, 11:44 a.m.

Look at all the air conditioners that those apartments have. That must be in the rich part of town.

They are all supposed to have air conditioning … the ones that don't fell out and they haven't bothered to replace them.

July 5, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

blah blah blah

July 5, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

booz hamilton is a cool name