Edward Snowden

June 27, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

After reading this thread, I'm putting a buy order in for some tin foil futures.

I just ordered me some Rio Tinto.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 27, 2013, 12:01 p.m.

Hat demand is going through the roof.

Why are you afraid to offer your opinion? Or is this simply an attempt to make yourself feel better?

June 27, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

Why are you afraid to offer your opinion? Or is this simply an attempt to make yourself feel better?

You want me to offer my opinion on the Internet? The government tracks that…
I ain't falling for that old trick.

June 27, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

You want me to offer my opinion on the Internet? The government tracks that…
I ain't falling for that old trick.

Right-o then.

June 27, 2013, 6:44 p.m.

Now what happens when these analytical programs make a mistake and flags you as a person of interest?

Human beings are just as capable of doing this without analytical programs …

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab[HTML_REMOVED]q=arrest+mistaken+identity[HTML_REMOVED]oq=arrest+mistaken+identity

aren't you worried about that too? It happens, just like trainwrecks do, but I'm not gonna sit around worrying about it.

People used to complain about the notion of cameras everywhere a few years ago. They were bad. They were invading our privacy. They were violating our rights. Now pretty much everyone has a camera on their person and ready to use it at the get-go, and nobody seems to be upset about that. Look at how many people committing criminal acts (including people in positions of power and responsibility) have been caught red-handed when in another time and age, their victims would have been ignored or laughed at for not being credible. Information is like everything else - it can be good or evil.

June 28, 2013, 12:59 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD6bQ3DQSLA

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 28, 2013, 2:29 a.m.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 28, 2013, 5:12 a.m.

Funny thing is that it is nothing new under the sun, technology just made some dreams of control and political power more readily available and accessible for the politicians.

And Google apparently helps various governments with the collection and tracking of data, I forgot the name of the program, but there is cooperation between google and the US gov't.

But then again, as KenN said, some things are more important to most people (read = guns) than the fact that nearly all citizens are slowly turning into drones from either an Orwellian or a Huxleyan state. At present I have the right to say that the chip on my new ID does not contain any data at all.

A serious question is - what is "common man", i.e. the ordinary citizen, able to do to stop this?

Most intelligent people know that there is a connection between the economy, global players, the banking system and the politicians who are more or less voted for by the "common man". Fear has a firm grasp on a lot of people, even here on nsmb, and fear is THE argument for the politicians wanting total and absolute control.

What are we as citizens of democracies doing about this? Signing an online petition? Taking it to the streets?

The issue is that most politicians think that they do actually represent the citizens of their respective state, I remember a visibly shocked politicians during the Genova riots who could not understand that the protesters did not believe in him He said that his job was to represent the interests of the citizens of the country he was there for. He did not get it.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 28, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

Human beings are just as capable of doing this without analytical programs …

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab[HTML_REMOVED]q=arrest+mistaken+identity[HTML_REMOVED]oq=arrest+mistaken+identity

aren't you worried about that too? It happens, just like trainwrecks do, but I'm not gonna sit around worrying about it.

People used to complain about the notion of cameras everywhere a few years ago. They were bad. They were invading our privacy. They were violating our rights. Now pretty much everyone has a camera on their person and ready to use it at the get-go, and nobody seems to be upset about that. Look at how many people committing criminal acts (including people in positions of power and responsibility) have been caught red-handed when in another time and age, their victims would have been ignored or laughed at for not being credible. Information is like everything else - it can be good or evil.

I'm on an iPad so I will keep it short.

I've addressed the theme of this reply a number of times now, so I'm at somewhat at a loss on how to proceed.

I'll just say this. If people can't imagine a massive government organization making a mistake, well, we should end it here. If people think a thriving democracy has room for secret, unaccountable courts, well, I think they are pants-on-head retarded.

June 28, 2013, 4:59 p.m.

If people think a thriving democracy has room for secret, unaccountable courts, well, I think they are pants-on-head retarded.

There has never been a democracy in the history of the world …. when people say "democracy", they generally mean "constituent assemblies" - which means you get to vote once a every few years for guy with a real vote who is told by the leader of his party how to vote. In the original "Democracies", only people who owned land were allowed to vote, and a majority of the male population as well as women and slaves didn't get to vote.

As to people taking to the streets - they are often end up being no better than the people they depose. Robespierre, Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler …

June 28, 2013, 5:03 p.m.

Secret, unaccountable courts are bad.

June 28, 2013, 5:03 p.m.

Exactly.

Cancel the cell phones, toss it in the garbage.
Turn off the Television, toss it in the garbage.
Cancel your Facebook account if you have one.
Leave the car at home, bike to work if you can.
Protest in person every chance you can get at the things you do not like.
Stop using all of the Google services or any other free services that want to mine your information.

We do not need any of the above.

Stop feeding the monster that has been created by this society.

Don't like it? but the above is to hard to do. Then you are not suffering enough yet.

I refuse to let anyone control who or what I am.

also ditch the visa/cc..move back to cash…

June 28, 2013, 5:05 p.m.

also ditch the visa/cc..move back to cash…

Screw cash. Its worthless paper backed up by more worthless paper. Gold.

Secret, unaccountable courts are bad.

Secret and unaccountable, you mean like a jury?

June 28, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

paper backed properly by gold works pretty good. gotta ditch the cc tho. thats the devil..

June 28, 2013, 6:17 p.m.

Secret and unaccountable, you mean like a jury?

No.