Edward Snowden

June 26, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

Ditto … its not worth caring about. Data-mining is like an institutionalized gossip club. You can live without cell phones, the Internet, retail services and credit cards. You are free to fall off the Grid and disappear from 21st century society and lose that visible electromagnetic aura that follows you around. The only thing that is stopping you is not being able to eat your cake and have it.

So you're saying that technology can now turn anyone into something that looks like, say, a 20-something black male? Life used to be so fair, where did the world go wrong?

I can't think of a simpler way to convey the notion that data capture by even the largest multi-nationals in no way compares to what the NSA is doing.

I also struggle to understand how seemingly intelligent people have no issues with secret courts that, for all intents and purposes, hold no accountability.

June 26, 2013, 7:21 p.m.

I also struggle to understand how seemingly intelligent people have no issues with secret courts that, for all intents and purposes, hold no accountability.

Maybe its because public Courts hold no accountability either. If you have ever been to court, you will likely know that the legal system is a joke.

June 26, 2013, 7:29 p.m.

Maybe its because public Courts hold no accountability either. If you have ever been to court, you will likely know that the legal system is a joke.

It must have been a decade since you last voted.

June 26, 2013, 7:59 p.m.

It must have been a decade since you last voted.

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab[HTML_REMOVED]q=canada+justice+system+a+joke

^^^^^
The first link is from the Right, the second from the Left with a broad spectrum covered over the 1 1/2 million hits.

June 26, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

for what for concerts i might be interested in?

Actually, yes. You'll get ads tailored for you based on your email content. Big data DBs are a hot technology, and one reason is because the decision on what should be advertise has to be really quick.

Funny that people dislike the technology that allows them to never pay for media or applications. You want free access to someone else's content? Well, your content is now being pirated too so stop whining.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 26, 2013, 9:15 p.m.

Funny that people dislike the technology that allows them to never pay for media or applications. You want free access to someone else's content? Well, your content is now being pirated too so stop whining.

Who are you arguing with?

June 26, 2013, 9:37 p.m.

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab[HTML_REMOVED]q=canada+justice+system+a+joke

^^^^^
The first link is from the Right, the second from the Left with a broad spectrum covered over the 1 1/2 million hits.

Since we've impacted global climate so much, it doesn't matter that I drive excessively.

June 26, 2013, 9:49 p.m.

Who are you arguing with?

Why are you asking?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 26, 2013, 10:31 p.m.

Why are you asking?

Because this has been brought up by many people here, yet has little to nothing to do with the Snowden saga.

I don't know if it's willful diversion, or people confusing the issues.

June 27, 2013, 12:19 a.m.

Since we've impacted global climate so much, it doesn't matter that I drive excessively.

Basically you are saying that you have faith that a legislative/judicial system which will send a SWAT team to break into your home to arrest you and throw you in jail for growing some plants will also stand up for your right to privacy? In the end, privacy, should you value it, is up to you and the choices you make.

June 27, 2013, 7:28 a.m.

Basically you are saying that you have faith that a legislative/judicial system that will send a SWAT team to break into your home to arrest you and throw you in jail for growing some plants will also stand up for your right to privacy? In the end, privacy, should you value it, is up to you and the choices you make.

My glib reply to you was highlighting the point that a defeatist attitude is cancerous to a happy life.

The thrust of my argument on this issue is that software development is fraught with error, secret courts are bad and humans are highly fallible. Mix all of that together and really bad things are guaranteed to happen.

When you use the online product of multinational corporations, they capture a small percentage of your network traffic. They try and piece together a snapshot of who you are so ultimately they can increase their quarterly profit. If they make a mistake, they'll show you a tampon ad. If they step outside of the law and are caught, they will face repercussions.

When a government secretly collects ALL traffic from its citizens and runs various flavours of analytics on this data, if it isn't actioning the results it is wasting its money and time.

Now what happens when these analytical programs make a mistake and flags you as a person of interest? Next time you and your family are travelling to Disney Land, you all get split up into separate rooms for a prostate exam and some brutal interrogation all because of some edge case an NSA developer neglected to code for. Meanwhile, you have no idea what's going on, they don't have to tell you what's going on and you are at their mercy with absolutely zero recourse.

This is just one of many Really Bad Things that could happen, and if everyone understood this, they'd be very afraid and looking to enforce the basic laws that were the foundation of their nations success and ultimately their happiness.

June 27, 2013, 8:01 a.m.

The fourth amendment isn't as important as the second, apparently.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 27, 2013, 8:28 a.m.

After reading this thread, I'm putting a buy order in for some tin foil futures.

June 27, 2013, 8:28 a.m.

After reading this thread, I'm putting a buy order in for some tin foil futures.

How come.

June 27, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

How come.

Hat demand is going through the roof.