Edward Snowden

June 25, 2013, 3:09 p.m.

This whole thing is ridiculous.

I cant believe the public hasn't been up in arms in defence of Snowden.

We deserve every last bit of 1984 when it comes, were all complicit.

Discuss.

June 25, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

I love all the republicans speaking out about how obama is handling it (which is a fucking disgrace needless to say), as if they were in power they would do anything differently.

I hope he remains free.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 25, 2013, 3:24 p.m.

Sorry, who?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 25, 2013, 3:28 p.m.

we have become what we despised, our politicians speak platitudes about freedom out of one side of their mouths while subverting it at every turn out of the other. Don't forget, they do this in our names, these are our governments, spying on us, ready to turn on us at the slightest show of resistance. How fucked is it that whistle blowers have to seek freedom in places like china and russia? we are a shell of our former selves, the terrorists have truly been victorious.

June 25, 2013, 3:29 p.m.

I love all the republicans speaking out about how obama is handling it (which is a fucking disgrace needless to say), as if they were in power they would do anything differently.

I hope he remains free.

The Republican/Democrat regime is precisely why I have little hope for the world. They are assuring the destruction of the US from inside out.

Snowden basically just verified what most tin-foil types have been speculating about for years, mass surveillance programs affecting millions of people, not just Americans.

It gives validity to other tin foil types and their government phobic views, this is scary.

I can't help but feel that if events like this don't rile people up, nothing will. Are we all too far gone? Is this not cause for legitimate outrage?

This story has turned Snowden into a villain! How about the fact that the US Government has collected this information to use it!

Insane.

June 25, 2013, 3:30 p.m.

we have become what we despised, our politicians speak platitudes about freedom out of one side of their mouths while subverting it at every turn out of the other. Don't forget, they do this in our names, these are our governments, spying on us, ready to turn on us at the slightest show of resistance. How fucked is it that whistle blowers have to seek freedom in places like china and russia? we are a shell of our former selves, the terrorists have truly been victorious.

This!

The irony here is brutal!

June 25, 2013, 3:34 p.m.

It's speaks volumes that the gun-nuts aren't 100% up in arms (no pun intended) and behind Snowden on this.

Essentially anyone who thinks Snowden isn't a hero is naive at the very best, but in all likelihood is mom-ate-paint-while-in-the-womb retarded.

June 25, 2013, 3:45 p.m.

It's speaks volumes that the gun-nuts aren't 100% up in arms (no pun intended) and behind Snowden on this.

Essentially anyone who thinks Snowden isn't a hero is naive at the very best, but in all likelihood is mom-ate-paint-while-in-the-womb retarded.

I find it so depressing how powerful special interests are in the world today.

The talk basically from the get go is how Snowden is acting treasonous against the US. No other conclusion has remotely been considered, not for one second have the merits of his actions been discussed or considered.

It is automatically assumed he is anti-US, its tragic. It really is.

June 25, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

I hope he remains free.

The PRISM program is a child of the Patriot Act, which has been reauthorized since 2001. To hear a Republican complaining about the program is more than just a little hypocritical. Particularly when you remember the ferocity in which they would attack anyone who opposed the Patriot Act as being un-American or 'wanting the terrorists to win'.

When the Patriot Act was passed, a lot of the dissenters warned of this EXACT thing happening.

Public was 'meh' about the Patriot Act then, why would we expect a different reaction now?

June 25, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

I find it so depressing how powerful special interests are in the world today.

Because we let it happen. Allow power to concentrate and we get fucked. Simple as that.

Never voting for a major political party again would be the easiest first step to take.

June 25, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

lol patriot act. For those not in the know, it's actually an acronym and the full name is well and truly Orwellian.

USA PATRIOT = Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 25, 2013, 4:07 p.m.

lol patriot act. For those not in the know, it's actually an acronym and the full name is well and truly Orwellian.

USA PATRIOT = Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism

Kn.

Why do you hate America so much KenN? Did you wake up this morning wanting the terrorists to win, or have you always wanted the terrorists to win?

People forget that it was only a few years ago that Americans were calling French Fries, Freedom Fries, because the French hated America and wanted the terrorists to win. Remember the Dixie Chicks getting booed of stage and having their lives threatened?

The US has a history of ignoring events they should be upset by and over-reacting to fluff. For instance, there was a big Presidential speech on climate change today, want to guess which major news networks carried it? The weather channel and…. wait… nevermind, it was only on the weather channel. Apparently there was a car chase in LA that distracted the media.

June 25, 2013, 4:08 p.m.

The PRISM program is a child of the Patriot Act, which has been reauthorized since 2001. To hear a Republican complaining about the program is more than just a little hypocritical. Particularly when you remember the ferocity in which they would attack anyone who opposed the Patriot Act as being un-American or 'wanting the terrorists to win'.

When the Patriot Act was passed, a lot of the dissenters warned of this EXACT thing happening.

Public was 'meh' about the Patriot Act then, why would we expect a different reaction now?

Are we to assume there is no boiling point?
Can North American governments over reach enough to upset the people?

June 25, 2013, 4:12 p.m.

absolute power corrupts absolutely

June 25, 2013, 4:22 p.m.

Are we to assume there is no boiling point then?
Can North Americans over reach enough to upset the people?

One can only hope so.

The problem is that change is usually facilitated by suffering. In order for change to occur, it has to negatively impact peoples lives in an identifiable manner. Information gathering such as this hasn't effected Joe Bloggs from down the block yet, and may never. It makes for a great story, but I don't see this as being the seed of a revolution.

I think that we are a lot closer to a boiling point in regards to fiscal policy, more precisely, rampant income inequality, because that actually has measurable negative results in the average persons life. Until you're the person, or you know the person, being dragged out of your house at 3 o clock in the morning for something you wrote in an email, chances are, you've got more pressing sh*t to deal with.