Eastern Swizterland

June 22, 2010, 8:45 a.m.

So I am traveling over to Switzerland in mid September.

I wasn't planning on really hanging out over in the Eastern side but Iron and Wine happen to be playing in Zurich a few days after I land. Sooo, gotta see that.

What I'd like to know, where should I travel on the Eastern side? My plan right now is to head down to Chur and check out Arosa. Heard it's really pretty and lots of hiking. I'll only have 3 days and then I head back to Zurich for the musac.

My main plan was to try to get some biking. Not sure if there is anything worthy in the East??

:heart::coffee::heart:

June 22, 2010, 10:23 a.m.

well three days won't get you much for riding… what style you in to?
freeriding… look at:
Ticket to ride (one part is the Trek Bike Attack)
Chur has the Swiss downhill championship track
Flims/Laax has the Red Bull Trail fox
Flumserburg has Rene Wildhabers two favourite rides (google for him if you don't know him)
All train accessable, all on the east side.
Then there is Araso, Davos, Lenzerheide ski areas that have tons of riding, not quite up to par with Whistler but hey.
Then there is around St. Moritz, Livigno area.
In Austria there is Lech, St. Anton, Ischgl that have tons of riding just inside of Austria.

plus all in between.

hope that helps.

June 22, 2010, 11:57 a.m.

Filzbach, Lenzerheide and Wiriehorn (Wieriehorn?) are other spots with lift accessed riding, quite close to Zurich. There are various possibilities around Chur/Arosa, and Flims/Laax also seems to be a good idea. From the Weissfluhjoch (above Davos) you can ride down to Kueblis, about 200m of descending, but the parts I've ridden weren't very technical. I'll ride this again mid-july, then I'll know more.
Thhere's tons of stuff for XC/AM riding almost everywhere.

June 22, 2010, 12:14 p.m.

There's decent riding in the Arosa area, not as good as other areas, but if you have a bike, why not. We based out of Leinzerheide for a few days.

We took a tram out of Leinzerheide rode down through a valley, hung out in Arosa for a drink and then made our way back.

We also rode a bit in Davos-Klosters, some decent stuff there too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2549/3951240521_20ee0ec125_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3952006374_b2c80b46a7_b.jpg

June 22, 2010, 12:28 p.m.

Switzerland rules I lived like 30 minutes north of there If you're near there should check out the rhinefall in schaffausen biggest one in Europe or something to that effect
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 22, 2010, 1:05 p.m.

yea looking for more of a freeride scene. we won't have bikes so we will need access to rentals….

what would be our best bet for renting a decent bike and access to trails?

June 22, 2010, 6:25 p.m.

Switzerland is pretty small, so from Zurich, you dont really need to limit yourself to the 'east'. I mean Geneva and Zurich are basically opposite ends of the country and they are only like 3 hours apart by train. I personally love the Engadin area (around St. Moritz) and there is lots of great single track in the area. In any case, Switzerland is gorgeous, so where ever you go, its going to be gorgeous.

Check out this site.. it might help you out: http://www.mountainbikeland.ch/en/welcome.cfm

PS. Bike rentals should be pretty easy, just expect to pay a lot. Nothing is cheap in CH.

Goin' Down?

June 22, 2010, 6:29 p.m.

Nothing is cheap in CH.

except weed… and gas.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 23, 2010, 6:23 a.m.

except weed… and gas.

hash is even cheaper and more readily available

Goin' Down?

June 23, 2010, 7:27 a.m.

hmm so about that. what about getting on trains with stuff. do they search you everytime? first time to europe so i'm a novice.

June 23, 2010, 11:29 a.m.

hmm so about that. what about getting on trains with stuff. do they search you everytime? first time to europe so i'm a novice.

you most likely wont get searched within a particular (european) country and the likelihood of getting searched between most of them is relatively small, but still possible. Especially if you look like a drug carrying douchebag.
IMO, its not worth the risk and for most E.U. countries various 'stuff' is readily available anyways.

and if you feel you most carry your own gear, then up the ass or cunt it must go (as far as I know dogs cant sniff it out here??) and youll be fine.

Goin' Down?

June 23, 2010, 12:12 p.m.

Places where there are bike parks/lift accessed riding should have decent rentals. "Touristy" places like Klosters or Davos could have some as well. Apart from those places, rentals are usually just commuter bikes with knobby tires or low-end mountainbikes. Anyway, it's going to be expensive.
As for the not-so-expensive herbal products: I wouldn't risk buying more than you need at the time and carrying it over the border. In trains that cross borders, there are still occasional controls, sometimes with dogs. While you may get away with a slap on the wrist for consuming or having a small personal stash, smuggling it over the border or even having a larger stash will usually get you into trouble.