easiest/most fun university courses

Dec. 16, 2010, 10:53 p.m.

Out of curiosity, what does a forestry degree lead into?

A forestry degree (or diploma) leads to a decent paying [HTML_REMOVED] interesting job working outside with the trees, the streams, and hanging lots of ribbon. If you don't like being outside a lot (be honest with yourself, most people don't), it's not for you.

There is lots of work for those that want to work. We are short on summer students this year.

As for courses, more soils/geology courses are good if you want to get into forest engineering. ecology/zoology if wildlife is more your interest, or plant biology if you want to get into silviculture.

If you just want to burn off some credits take some arts course.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 16, 2010, 11:02 p.m.

A forestry degree (or diploma) leads to a decent paying [HTML_REMOVED] interesting job working outside with the trees, the streams, and hanging lots of ribbon. If you don't like being outside a lot (be honest with yourself, most people don't), it's not for you.

There is lots of work for those that want to work. We are short on summer students this year.

As for courses, more soils/geology courses are good if you want to get into forest engineering. ecology/zoology if wildlife is more your interest, or plant biology if you want to get into silviculture.

If you just want to burn off some credits take some arts course.

KHansen is one of these i believe.

Dec. 16, 2010, 11:03 p.m.

KHansen is one of these i believe.

what is "one of these"?

Dec. 17, 2010, 1:15 a.m.

Jeeze we gotta get a ubc forestry group ride going!

Yeah the amount of interviews this year was definitely up in the faculty with some employers complaining that they didn't even get enough students to interview.

Dec. 17, 2010, 8:07 a.m.

I been reading that UBC forestry enrolment has been pretty low ,I met a prof who told me they had pretty low budgets ,I know a lot of foresters/scientists and things are pretty lean … up here anyways

Dec. 17, 2010, 8:55 a.m.

I been reading that UBC forestry enrolment has been pretty low

Enrollment is low. My grad class in resource management was [HTML_REMOVED] 150 students. I now hear rumours of grad classes in the 30 student range. With the amount of people in the industry that are going to retire in the next 5 years, there is going to be a huge lack of foresters/techs in the next decade.

Sure the industry isn't as big as it was, but available workforce is significantly smaller as well. Companies are having a tough time finding solid people. I expect that wages will see a significant increase in the next couple years as companies fight to retain/attract key staff.

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:08 a.m.

Yeah the amount of interviews this year was definitely up in the faculty with some employers complaining that they didn't even get enough students to interview.

Half the students we interviewed were not even interested in being employed in the forest industry (whether it was the job, or having to leave the lower mainland i'm not sure). why the fuk are you spending 4 yrs to get a degree to work at starbucks?

The best thing a Forestry degree did for me was get me the fuk out of the lower mainland, never mind that you get paid to do a lot of cool things and see awesome places that 90% of BC'ers will never see.

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:10 a.m.

yeah math is no biggie. i've got all my calculus and 1st year engineering physics.

ASTR 101 Introduction to the Solar System
ASTR 102 Introduction to Stars and Galaxies
ASTR 201 Stellar Astrophysics

those are my options… i'll probably take the 102 but it would be badass to tell people i'm in Stellar Astrophysics

Only take these classes if Jamie Matthews is teaching.

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:13 a.m.

what is "one of these"?

an individual that collectively makes up "them" ??

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:27 a.m.

OP - I took 102 two years ago, great course. Not terribly easy (to do well) but its an auto pass. And what Geologyboy said.

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:38 a.m.

Half the students we interviewed were not even interested in being employed in the forest industry (whether it was the job, or having to leave the lower mainland i'm not sure). why the fuk are you spending 4 yrs to get a degree to work at starbucks?

Yeah it's pretty sad, seems like people take it as it is one of the easier faculties to get into that will give you a BSc. when you graduate.

Dec. 17, 2010, 10:04 a.m.

why the fuk are you spending 4 yrs to get a degree to work at starbucks?

Probably took it because Daddy wanted their kid to go to uni and the kid didn't want to but went anyways?

Trust me, it could be way worse. Kingston has people with uni degrees pumping gas. Why? Because they where born and raised here, mommy and daddy went to Queen's plus there grandad and great grandad. And what do they do? They go to Queen's to live the same shitty life that they complain about.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 17, 2010, 4:08 p.m.

Enrollment is low. My grad class in resource management was [HTML_REMOVED] 150 students. I now hear rumours of grad classes in the 30 student range. With the amount of people in the industry that are going to retire in the next 5 years, there is going to be a huge lack of foresters/techs in the next decade.

Sure the industry isn't as big as it was, but available workforce is significantly smaller as well. Companies are having a tough time finding solid people. I expect that wages will see a significant increase in the next couple years as companies fight to retain/attract key staff.

From what i seen up here a whole bunch of Rp's and scientists retired last year from gov who were not replaced some young ones had to get jobs that were not in their field if they wanted to stay in gov .

I met a UBC forestry prof who was telling me how they did an audio confrence in a class that was so low budget he had to use his own cell phone

I do some work at a research center which depended on FSP for funding no work ,some consultants in wierd fields havent worked in over a year

because science is not about dna or cells or data or any of that shit its about funding … for your project

Dec. 17, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

Are you referring to research branch folks getting moved to the Protection Branch, if so we may know the same girl in Smithers.

some consultants in wierd fields havent worked in over a year

well thats the risk of becoming a consultant in a weird field.

As for bread and butter forestry work (i.e. not research) there is lots of work for those that want to work… on the Island anyhow.

Dec. 17, 2010, 4:55 p.m.

Is reasearch still moved to protection or have they re-orged that re-org … better check your e-mail

yeah I know all them govy types young [HTML_REMOVED] old cuz its a pretty small town

there may be work on the coast but then you would have to work down there

but it sounds like you have found a way to manage the forest without science ?